It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my first gun

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seen the Future
Listen I don't care how you Americans live, you'll destroy yourselves eventually anyway. The fact that you all seem to sense that you are doomed to a dog-eat-dog conclusion speaks volumes to me about you and your country.

Americans have been carrying guns since the colonial times. The colonists had to carry muskets or rifles for both hunting as well as defending themselves against hostile forces, mostly Native Americans. And its been like that for centuries and America is pretty much still alive.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I am not so sure about the above aruements.

I said no guns would be better, but our militaries have them. Englands leaders can now do what ever they want to 'the people' since they cannot stand against their governments military.

In the US, the power of the people is (supposed to be) higher than the government. If we had leaders push us too hard (some think they already are), then we can stand against them. The US is supposed to be 'we the people' (even though lately it is not).

Since there ARE guns, it makes sense to have one. I agree that currently there is no need except for the fact that knowing we have them, makes the government control grip quite a bit looser.

Since there ARE guns, I have decided it would be best to have one. It is not to make me feel big or anything. It is to balance it out a bit.

Since there ARE guns, I do not want to leave my family defenceless.

Since there ARE guns and I am not in England, it makes sense to own one. You nor me can get rid of all the worlds guns, so talking about how stupid gun owners are is stupid in its self.

One country owns nuclear weapons. Another owns them too - just to deter the other from using them. The door to my house will have a sign saying a gun owner lives there. That will deter another with a gun from entering.

Please don't thrash this thread with degrading arguements.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
EDIT: Your Hitler analogy is ridiculous! You are applying a 1940's extremist government example to that of modern day Western civilisation. What exactly do you except is going to happen that will result in such an exagerated scenario. If things get as bad as you imagine then you'll die soon enough anyway, regardless of how many people you take with you.

Ok . Then how about the many other dictators that rise in power. They disregard all laws and create their own. This conversation is pointless. So your saying the world is a perfect place now? That could never happen again? Get real... It's plagued us all throughout civilization. You will wind up being nothing more then a lapdog for them...

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
...in which case why this doom and gloom prophecy of an 'every man for himself' future in America? You won't destroy yourselves with guns, for sure, but when it comes down to it, are they really going to help whatever disaster you imagine you'll end up dealing with? Someone threatens your family with a gun so you shoot them. They send somebody to shoot you. Eventually everybody dies anyway. This is the reality of a nation where everybody carries firearms. A gun will only help you survive until someone comes along with a bigger one.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   

...in which case why this doom and gloom prophecy of an 'every man for himself' future in America? You won't destroy yourselves with guns, for sure, but when it comes down to it, are they really going to help whatever disaster you imagine you'll end up dealing with? Someone threatens your family with a gun so you shoot them. They send somebody to shoot you. Eventually everybody dies anyway. This is the reality of a nation where everybody carries firearms. A gun will only help you survive until someone comes along with a bigger one.

Ok..Let's see some statistics of this? If you want facts get them.I can get the statistics that prove it's safer here. As well as armed societies are safer.Can you back up those claims with facts? I didn't think so.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Illusory]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
hay doesn't any one read my posts lol

Great Britain has Gun Crime, just on a smaller level

and for statistics just look in to Swizerland (from my previous post) its has lots of guns and is a very safe place to live!!!

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Accidental Deaths in the U.S. for 1998

41,200 deaths related to motor vehicle accidents,
16,600 in falls at home and on the job,
4,100 from water in drowning,
9,400 from poisoning, in the same year,
3,700 due to fire or burns,
3,200 due to choking, and
900 from guns
Note that the top category of vehicle accidents is 45 times greater than the bottom
category of guns. Should we outlaw cars, and ladders?

from lindleyonline.com...

[edit on 23-3-2006 by godservant]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Every country that outlaws guns or bans them... Crimes go up!

Britain up in crime after gun bans
I could get references to every country that has done this.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Im sorry to say Illusory but they are old statistics, some types of gun crime are falling while others are growing in the UK

www.connected.gov.uk...

Now all we need to do is get rid of the hoodies and the chavs and the UK will be crime free lol

edit to correct top line

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Right to carry actually lowered gun crime in most area's.

See here

Others say that in area's where there are more guns, there is less crime.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
you have a good point about disasters and guns. Excellent..well done.

You may not die of gun violence ..but you may die from starvation and being deprived of basic essentials ...slowly while waiting for the government or police in the same predicament to come in and help you after you have been robbed of your private property. Got the point??? YOu really have one dimensional thinking going on here. REmember New Orleans??? How about Hurricane Andrew???
I dont approve of all the tough guy talk going on here. I have been around long enough to know most of it is over rated.
I do believe ,as a American, in private property...I believe in the privateness of property. This is the essence of what makes it private property..the private nature of it..the privateness. This understanding of the privateness of property, the ownership of private property is also what seperates us as Americans from much of this world. The technique of governments and other crooks is to remove the privateness of property so that it can be disposed of in any manner desired by them. This is also not what you will get in the news media or public education. Private property also means the ability to protect the privateness of it or to dispose of it in any manner suitable to the owner of the property. Not by the hands or guile of someone else but by the owner of the property. Other natural rights follow as a result of this private ownership of property. This is common sense.

The ability of a citizen to purchase a gun is a right here ..not a privelege and extends from this ability to privately own property. The essence of this is private...not public ownership.

To those seeking their first gun purchase..I recommend you do your homework. Lots of info on this topic here on the web. If you know someone who will let you shoot one of theirs that closely meets your needs perhapsed they will let you try it out at a range to see if it is suitable or desirable for you. Also sometimes ranges will let you rent a firearm to try it out for suitability. The range here in town has about 6 different guns they rent out from revolvers to semi autos.
Nevertheless do your homework. Once you make your purchase..practice , practice, practice. NO substitute for practice. KNow your tool. Also..safety, safety , safety.

I am curious about something.here.

What is the process by which some of you post pictures on your blogs?? I havent quite figured out this method..can someone explain it for me?? I would like to post one of my handgun purchases here.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

This is the reality of a nation where everybody carries firearms. A gun will only help you survive until someone comes along with a bigger one.

Can't we say the same for swords and axes and maces and clubs 500 years ago? As I said earlier, we, as humans, are not as peaceful and loving as you (and I) would like. On the average, we are friggin barbarians. You want to believe that deep down we all could get along without violence and death. Its just not so. The most dominant creatures on the planet are always the most violent...

Right or wrong...we can all agree it's terrible...but nature has proven it to be fact.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

What is the process by which some of you post pictures on your blogs?? I havent quite figured out this method..can someone explain it for me?? I would like to post one of my handgun purchases here.

There are many online places you can upload photos too.Such as www.boomspeed.com...
i think www.imageshack.com... is another one.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Illusory]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13

This is the reality of a nation where everybody carries firearms. A gun will only help you survive until someone comes along with a bigger one.

Can't we say the same for swords and axes and maces and clubs 500 years ago? As I said earlier, we, as humans, are not as peaceful and loving as you (and I) would like. On the average, we are friggin barbarians. You want to believe that deep down we all could get along without violence and death. Its just not so. The most dominant creatures on the planet are always the most violent...

Right or wrong...we can all agree it's terrible...but nature has proven it to be fact.

But while we all think like this then nothing ever changes. I refuse to conform to this belief that we should do things because 'that's just the way things are'. This is a situation where people are passively advocating something which is fundamentally wrong because they know they can't do anything about it. And they're right, as individuals they can't because they don't want to... it's much easier to follow the herd.

Now my point is, if I were to concede and accept that the World is a cruel place and that I should carry a gun like everybody else, I've given up hope of things ever being different. I've given up on a better future to passively accept the wrongs of the World we've created. But why? All it takes to live in peace is for everybody to stop thinking that it's impossible and start working towards it. It's easy to be swept along with the tide and I know why I'm being criticized for taking an alternative viewpoint, but we create our own reality, and guns/violence/death are not something that I want in mine. It may be necessary for you all to think this way and I sympathize with your need for them... I'm not ignorant enough to think that anything I say can change the world today. but at least by speaking up in my tiny little voice against what I believe to be wrong, I hope I can make at least one person stop and think before they buy a gun or pull the trigger. That's all this is, and that's all I am.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jensen
A world without US = A world in Peace

Is that us or the US. If it is us, then sure, whats left but nature and nothing else. If it is the US of A. Look at history, we've only been around a couple of hundred years and wars were fought before we were even a nation. try and explain that...

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You are missing my point entirely. It isnt about aggression vs. pacifism. Its about being real. I dont buy guns to "follow the herd." I have guns to survive. Its basic instinct. It has been around since we discovered that you can kill your fellow man with a big rock. The tools change, but the instinct remains.

As I said, if you live in an environment where you are not endangered...kudos to you. I am envious. My environment eats the weak. Its not a matter of playing along. Its not a matter of exercising a right. Its not about being in step with my peers. Its a matter of living. My means of protection are relative to my surroundings, as are yours I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
So you need a gun to survive and you want to tell me there's nothing wrong with your country? If that's real to you and you're not exagerating (which I suspect you are) then something tells me you're in the wrong place. Regardless of my job or any other factor, I would protect my family from whatever danger you refer to by GETTING THE HELL OUT OF THERE. Not by buying a gun. Can't you see what's wrong here?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Whether you want to believe it or not, civil order is quit tenuous. When civil order does break down the unarmed will be subject to the armed.

No one, no matter how they feel about guns, would put a sign in front of their home saying: “This is a gun free home.”

[edit on 23-3-2006 by ElTiante]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I am not embellishing this. I do own a gun for safety. I live in a pretty tough city for its size. I really do have friends who have been shot, and one killed in the last year. I am not lying to impress anyone. Gun violence is a very real part of my life. This isnt true all over the U.S., but it is true in far too many places. I am working 60 hours a week to move to a nicer place with a better economy and lower crime rate. I was born and raised here. I only wish I could just find a couple thousand bucks and move away. Unfortunately, I am forced to face reality everyday rather than Disney World.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Fair enough, I believe you. But people in this thread are saying guns make your country a safer place. You, on the other hand, have told me that they are a necessity to survive because people are getting shot and you are at risk. Both can't be true, so which am I to believe? I know it varies depending on location etc. but the fact that so much of the USA has this problem should probably tell you that something is seriously wrong here. And yet none of you are doing anything about it, save for buying more and more guns. So is there a problem or isn't there? And what positive steps (if any) are people taking to sort it out? Buying yourself a gun isn't a positive step, it is overwhelmingly negative. and so the cycle continues. See my point?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join