It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my first gun

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senor_Vicente
I'm sorry for getting off topic but I was replying to a post. I think that a shot gun with slugs is better than buck shot for deer because there is less of a chance of wounding it, if you are close, they start dropping after about 100 yards.

I prefer slugs in shotgun hunting(which I haven't done in a while) but the range as you say is somewhat limited. I hunt from a deerstand and feel quite confident of a kill when I have my rifle(haven't had one get away, so to say, yet).

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
to Peruvianmonk
actually in america today the number one and two killers of americans are smoking and obesity,not firearms. blame McDonald's and Phillip Morris not the NRA. actually fastfood and tobacco are about the only industeries that have better lobbiests then the NRA. go figure...

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
kool. I remember when I got my first gun....

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I'm sure our gun problem will show itself when people start getting desperate. Like real desperate. Rapin' and Killin' and Pillagin'!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You have to watch out with guns, as they are like rabbits. Soon your mossy is going to need a friend, maybe something nice like a remington 700 or a marlin 336. And then you are gonna need a handgun to go with it.... And don't get me started on surplus rifles.....

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club, its all downhill from here

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Congratulations on your purchase. Be diplomatic with your wife, get a gun safe and trigger lock. Some things you will never be able to have peace over, but you can reach compromise, and those often are the best way.

Read and Reread Chakotay's post. Then do what he suggests. Smart man when it comes to firearms, obviously.

Now that you own a shotgun, do not let people who hate/fear firearms embarrass or put you down over your right and choice to do so.

Often times anti-gun people make a little sense in the bigger scheme, but more often than not, it is an impassioned attempt to make you live according to their paradigm, and not very logical at all. Much like the fellow/lady who posted about he'd rather have us hunting animals with knives and stones, but I suspect s/he owns non-animal skin clothing, drives a car and has air conditioning. Technology is a wonderful thing unless it does not fit in your current political/emotional/psychological agenda. S/he is only willing to try to make YOU live according to her/his likes, dislikes, loathings and fears regarding firearms.

Having/owning a firearm or multiple firearms, in no way, makes you a savage, a killer, or a wild-eyed cowboy with spittle running down your chin as you run amok killing people and burning box after box of ammunition in an attempt to turn your 21st century town into a Dodge City of olden days.

Pistols are very cool weapons, if you know how to handle them. They can be a lot of fun for target shooting and sport hunting. They are, a lethal tool, however, and if you are not adequately trained, and more importantly, well versed in the use due to continuous practice, they make an extremely poor home defense weapon. whereas, you would do better with a shotgun with light loads. They will, effectively, and most often lethally, eliminate whatever is immediately in front of them, but the light load won't have the same potential of a bullet, that has missed it's target of going through wall(s)_and perhaps injuring, killing, or at the very least, scaring the holy beejezuz out of innocent bystanders.

please enjoy your shotgun...

Pax Glock, Smith & Wesson

Dan

edited when I found that my fingers didn't know how to spell defense...

[edit on 22-3-2006 by sigung86]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Mossberg is a superb first choice for a Shotgun when you factor in the Price and the amount of easy to find options and add ons there is for them. Theres better shotguns for sure but I wouldnt advise spending a 1,000 bucks and up for something like a Benelli Md M4 for your first gun.

Heres my Mossberg
pic

Wasnt my first gun but it was my second.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Oh man, do I love it when threads turn into a political debate on gun ownership.

If you are not a felon why would you not have the right to buy a gun? Wal-Mart DOES do background checks, usually on the spot and sometimes you can walk out with the gun yes, but some states have waiting periods so you can't buy a gun because you are depressed and want to kill your self or if you really had a bad fight with your spouse and want to kill her

Actually there is probably other reasons involved.

I meant the 870, but my brain mixed up the remington 597, mossberg 590 and the remington 870 lol...my bad.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Sorry about the disappearing photo, I hope this works. I just got an Ergo grip but have yet to install it. Same for a military big-latch on the charging handle.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Congrats on getting your first gun. It really doesn't help a whole lot keeping it in the trunk of your car though. I sleep with a loaded 38 special by my bed. Don't have kids though, that would change things.

I was lucky my wife was raised with guns and taught how to use them. I'm real nice to her ya know. Maybe your wife just hasn't been introduced to guns the right way and their importance for protection. Good luck.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
The American flag burns bright in your eyes as you load up your snarling weapon and kill an innocent animal who's only crime was to get too close to the most savage species on this planet. You all cackle insanely while you scream out "Liberty!"

This is a sad little thread, made even more depressing by the knowledge that eventually you will all be made to pay for your stupidity. What possible use is there for a gun other than to hurt or frighten people? You condemn your president for war-mongering and yet most of all sit in bed hugging your weapons at night and talking about them during the day.

Open your eyes and your hearts to what is being done to you, Americans. You are being given ridiculous freedoms like this at the expense of those which really matter. I find it quite revolting that you've all heralded this man's purchase for no better reason than it is his 'right'.

Think about this. Stop playing with dangerous little toys to make your paltry lives seem bigger and start concerning yourselves with the reality of human advancement. You will realise that anybody in possession of a gun or firearm can never acheive true enlightenment, by default.

When you shoot that deer, you destroy your own morality at the expense of what? It's absolutely disgusting to have to read this kind of garbage from a predominantly barbaric country that claim to be civilized. In time America will pay for her sickening hypocracy.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well being from the uk, this all sounds very strange lol
I thought the right to bear arms was to keep us British out!!
but reading this shows how everybody sees owning a gun from a different point of view.
well congrats' on your purchase!!! as for keeping it in the boot of your car that sounds crazy to me!!! in the UK the police come to your home and check that your firearm is kept safely under lock and key and also check your mental stability!!!
I had to give Chakotay a way above! I used to think all you Americans were a bit crazy when it came to firearms, but that was some good advice and changed my opinon!! (do you practice Aikido yourself Chakotay, if so what kyu are you!)

just one question though, whats with the assault rifle NWGuy83, and what would you use it for?? cant be used for home security as it would possibly shoot straight though the walls and injure the people your trying to protect and if its for hunting I dont think there would be much of the animal left after shooting it lol.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Kurokage]

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seen the Future
The American flag burns bright in your eyes as you load up your snarling weapon and kill an innocent animal who's only crime was to get too close to the most savage species on this planet. You all cackle insanely while you scream out "Liberty!"

This is a sad little thread, made even more depressing by the knowledge that eventually you will all be made to pay for your stupidity. What possible use is there for a gun other than to hurt or frighten people? You condemn your president for war-mongering and yet most of all sit in bed hugging your weapons at night and talking about them during the day.

Open your eyes and your hearts to what is being done to you, Americans. You are being given ridiculous freedoms like this at the expense of those which really matter. I find it quite revolting that you've all heralded this man's purchase for no better reason than it is his 'right'.

Think about this. Stop playing with dangerous little toys to make your paltry lives seem bigger and start concerning yourselves with the reality of human advancement. You will realise that anybody in possession of a gun or firearm can never acheive true enlightenment, by default.

When you shoot that deer, you destroy your own morality at the expense of what? It's absolutely disgusting to have to read this kind of garbage from a predominantly barbaric country that claim to be civilized. In time America will pay for her sickening hypocracy.

That was the best laugh I had in a while. I hope your a vegetarian or you are huge hypcrite! So you are against slaughtering animals? Well, I am for PETA ...people for eating tasty animals. There will always be plenty of room for gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes. They are good. I love deer(vension),rabbit,squirrel,duck...you name it. I'm a meat eater...and we are at the top of the food chain.

Also the world has been enlightened many times by the ideas coming out the end of a barrel!

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Illusory]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   

couldnt have said it better myself.

Originally posted by FredT
Please stay on topic in this and all threads.

i think all this is relevant, if people were to start gun bashing on other threads, people would simply ignore it as "high hippy ranting". This is exactly the right place to be talking about these topics.
Guns solve nothing, the wide availability of guns do nothing but make you less safe in your home, its quite simple!

Lets say a villain (perhaps he's Russian) wants to steal your material possessions to pay for his insane pot addiction. He knows there is a very high possibility that the owner of the house owns a gun, and is at total liberty to shoot and kill (murder) him on sight. Therefore he is a lot more likely to be carrying a gun of his own to kill you before you have the chance to kill him, thus we have an extremely volatile situation in which guns are the direct cause.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by superduperman]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Oh PLEASE.

You sound so self absorbed right now that you can't hear what you're saying. When will you people understand that guns are in fact a smart investment, as the time that we will have to use them is (apparently) growing closer? Simply because you don't think firearms are necessary, a time will come when they become so. We KNOW it will.

There's no reason to come in here and ridicule these people. I doubt you're a day over 16. You'll come to see alot of things in the coming years that are going to topple your ivory tower, mark my words.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Illusorary:

No I don't eat meat, and even if I did there is a HUGE difference between killing an animal for some sordid enjoyment and eating it packaged from a supermarket. But this isn't the arguement.

Loki:

Does it make you feel big and clever when you hold your gun? Yes, of course it does. Does the thought of shooting something turn you on? Just a little bit? Again, I'm pretty sure it does. The fact of the matter is that you have grown up around gun culture and been educated to believe that the glorious United States of America can do no wrong. Well on this issue they are severely wrong. Again I ask, what possible reason is there to own a gun other than to boost your machoism a little bit?

As for all this 'you'll see when the time comes' rubbish, get a grip! You think there will ever be a time when you'll be required to rush out into the streets wielding your gun on some kind of vigilante campaign against the 'evils' that befall your nation? Not going to happen I'm afraid, and saying that it might is a pretty immature justification for gun ownership in the first place.

Get real people, this isn't a computer game. Unless you're going to shoot something, which I'm sure we can all agree is WRONG, why own a gun?

I know why, of course. You swell up with pride at your 'rights' and expose this backwards law because the idiots in charge haven't got the balls, or the means, to change it.

To be honest what bothers me is the fact that all of you glorify in this culture so much. Your most popular music celebrates guns and killing. Most of the computer games to come out of America do likewise. It should be a sordid little secret, a dirty little loophole in an ancient constituation that you should be deeply ashamed of. Instead you revel in it and congratulate each other upon buying bigger and bigger killing machines.

YOU are the problem and your culture perpretrates violence as much as any other in the world. But of course you people can do no wrong. Oh no. Liberty only cost your souls.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
I got a couple mossbergs. Great shotgun. I also advise a pistol if you really want to get into the "sport." Get a Glock. They are worth the money. I am in love with my Glock 23c. I just hope I never have to use it.

I heard that you can drop a glock in the mud or water and still fire it where as other pistols you can't. I wish I could afford one, I have never fired a gun before but would love to learn.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Guns Guns Guns

Just shows how crazy americans are

Killing each other

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Illusorary:

No I don't eat meat, and even if I did there is a HUGE difference between killing an animal for some sordid enjoyment and eating it packaged from a supermarket. But this isn't the arguement.

Loki:

Does it make you feel big and clever when you hold your gun? Yes, of course it does. Does the thought of shooting something turn you on? Just a little bit? Again, I'm pretty sure it does. The fact of the matter is that you have grown up around gun culture and been educated to believe that the glorious United States of America can do no wrong. Well on this issue they are severely wrong. Again I ask, what possible reason is there to own a gun other than to boost your machoism a little bit?

As for all this 'you'll see when the time comes' rubbish, get a grip! You think there will ever be a time when you'll be required to rush out into the streets wielding your gun on some kind of vigilante campaign against the 'evils' that befall your nation? Not going to happen I'm afraid, and saying that it might is a pretty immature justification for gun ownership in the first place.

Get real people, this isn't a computer game. Unless you're going to shoot something, which I'm sure we can all agree is WRONG, why own a gun?

I know why, of course. You swell up with pride at your 'rights' and expose this backwards law because the idiots in charge haven't got the balls, or the means, to change it.

To be honest what bothers me is the fact that all of you glorify in this culture so much. Your most popular music celebrates guns and killing. Most of the computer games to come out of America do likewise. It should be a sordid little secret, a dirty little loophole in an ancient constituation that you should be deeply ashamed of. Instead you revel in it and congratulate each other upon buying bigger and bigger killing machines.

YOU are the problem and your culture perpretrates violence as much as any other in the world. But of course you people can do no wrong. Oh no. Liberty only cost your souls.

Whats the difference between killing an animal yourself..or paying someone else to do it? I can tell you, you will never know freedom and know nothing about countries with weapons, to protect themselves from a despot government. Look at China or any other countries that want to control their population. You are a puppet of your media thats brainwashing you into thinking that way. Personally, I think its fair to say we have less crime then all other nations due to the fact of our ability to hold weapons. I surely wouldn't break into a house knowing the owner had a weapon. Personally there might come a time in the not to soon future...where will have to unite and defend ourselves from an ever encroaching government. Are government is already out of hand... It is coming. You are a fear monger. Ideas are born out of the barrel of a gun. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. My guess is your some scared little kiddy...People with ideas of Freedom will never give up their guns. Something you would never understand. One death of our lives means nothing for our eternal freedom. The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join