It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my first gun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ok your country is extremly violent, why? becasue guns have always been avaiable? Becasue there is alot of poverty? becasue of the extreme racisim from both sides? Also when the hell is Russia going to invade America? America cannot be physically invaded until it is economically destroyed and drives it´s last true remaining powerful ally the Uk away.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
So you mean there is NO violence in the UK, or Canada or any other country that doesn't allow guns? Everyone and their brother owns a knife and a gun in the Philippines, and they aren't extremely violent there (at least with guns). You have a huge population in a relatively small area, so you have more violence. When you pack 300,000 people in a small area, you get an increase in violence. Just because we have guns available doesn't make guns evil.

WTF does buying their first gun have to so with Russia invading the US?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
Ok your country is extremly violent, why? becasue guns have always been avaiable? Becasue there is alot of poverty? becasue of the extreme racisim from both sides? Also when the hell is Russia going to invade America? America cannot be physically invaded until it is economically destroyed and drives it´s last true remaining powerful ally the Uk away.

Please stay on topic in this and all threads. If you wish to discuss the pending invasion of the Untied States following its economic distruction then kindly start one.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The Russia point was in reply to Senor_Vicentes jest about Russia invading the US. I´m not saying guns are evil becasue obviously they are inaminate objects, but to have them openly avaliabe to people who are evil, or stupid enough to use them over a petty dispute that is evil. Yes there is violence in the Uk but not on the scale of the Us i think and trust me London Liverpiil Birmingham aren´t open airy cities with alot of space.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by godservant

Originally posted by DaFunk13
I got a couple mossbergs. Great shotgun. I also advise a pistol if you really want to get into the "sport."

Why get a handgun? Can't I do the same with a shotgun with better accuracy?

I? am new to guns.

you implied that you wanted to take up hunting. Well, I wouldn't hunt deer with a shotgun but, nevertheless, a pistol is ideal to use if you did not (shame on you) take the deer down. You then would have to track that deer and dispatch it quickly and humanely. A pistol is the ideal weapon for this situation.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well, hunting deer with a shotgun is...errr...challenging, I suppose, but I'm sure you could use slugs to make a quick, clean kill.

DE

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
So you mean there is NO violence in the UK, or Canada or any other country that doesn't allow guns? Everyone and their brother owns a knife and a gun in the Philippines, and they aren't extremely violent there (at least with guns). You have a huge population in a relatively small area, so you have more violence. When you pack 300,000 people in a small area, you get an increase in violence. Just because we have guns available doesn't make guns evil.

WTF does buying their first gun have to so with Russia invading the US?

We have guns in the UK!!!!

It's just that we have to prove competence and a reason to own them - we can't buy them from Wal-Mart.

The problem's not the guns - it's the people

BTW leaving a gun in the boot of a car is very dangerous IMO

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Yes, you have to take a test to drive a metal box around but anyone can jsut go out and buy a lethal weapon. Thats the AMerican way.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Gotta have a good gun for the end o' the world! I got myself a Smith and Wesson high capacity .40 caliber handgun with Starburst rounds that explode on impact and burn. Ain't nobody settin' foot on my yard without getting blown away. If things getting boring, I'll go rapin' and pillagin' and drinkin' and smokin' and killin', because it's the end of the world baby!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ihatescifi
Yes, you have to take a test to drive a metal box around but anyone can jsut go out and buy a lethal weapon. Thats the AMerican way.

Okay I tried the nice way and now I will say this one LAST TIME. Please stay on topic. If you wish to discuss, decry, et al. the gun laws of the US please do so in any of the numerous threads that exist on that topic here at ATS

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I've got a quick question since people are asking about guns and all...

I live in a college dormatory which doesn't allow firearms and I have asked the hall director if I can have a knife. She said yes, but I am limited to what I have now...a Swiss Army knife I was given by my mom before she left. Is there anything I should keep in mind should I have to run (like impending Civil War:lol
and I couldn't keep a gun handy, or should I consider risking a "stop" at a Wal-mart?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I myself would love to live in a world where guns don't exist. It's just that we don't live in that kind of world.

If you ban guns that just means that only criminals will own guns. In the end it's not the guns it's the people. Laws only stop the honest.

Any way I would also like some suggestions on a gun for begginers.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Draiden]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
I am in no way having a go at you or the citizens of America. But is it not almost insane to allow guns to be legal in the 21st century in a modern western state.I read somewhere it is the 2nd highest casue of death in some states and the 1st in others. With the huge gang culture, drug culture and segregation you have allowing guns to be possesed with out the least bit of effort appears to be negligent behaviour of every one of your governments since the act was enacted. I am aware of the power the NRA have but surely there is some right thinking future president out there who will have the guts to ban Guns of all kinds.

You are definitely not american then. Docters kill more people every year then guns...Should we also ban docters?

Doctors and Guns

Doctors:
A. The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
B. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000.
C. Accidental deaths per physician is just over 17%

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.

Now Guns:
A. The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, 80
Million.)
B. The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is
C. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .00188%.

Statistics courtesy of F.B.I.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous
than gun owners.

Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE
DOCTOR!

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat immediately. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Illusory]

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Illusory]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Draiden
I myself would love to live in a world where guns don't exist. It's just that we don't live in that kind of world.

If you ban guns that just means that only criminals will own guns. In the end it's not the guns it's the people. Laws only stop the honest.

Any way I would also like some suggestions on a gun for begginers.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Draiden]

It depends on what you are looking to use it for. Home defense, go with a shotgun or smaller caliber pistol. I recommend a revolver at first. They're reliable and easy to use. You don't want to get something huge, because then you risk punching through walls and hitting people you don't want to hit.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You've got several must-do tasks:

1. Obtain a gunsafe, carry case and trigger lock. While at the Gun Shop ask directions to the local Firing Range where the Rangemasters can teach you all about legal, safe carry (and then the cool stuff like hitting what you shoot at and cleaning the damb thang).

2. Obtain a copy of your state's fish and game regulations at the local gun shop (what you can shoot and with what, when and where are STRICTLY regulated). Those of us who grew up with bangsticks have this drilled into us from birth. The laws change from day to day, so DON'T assume your buddy knows. Learn yourself. Pay particular attention to special deer seasons (if any) for shotguns, ammo restrictions including NUMBER OF SHELLS ALLOWED IN THE MAGAZINE AFIELD, and get proper lisences and tags for the units you will be hunting in now, not later. You will probably need a hunter's safety class graduation certificate to get your hunting lisence. I remember Mossbacks having a dowell-plug thingy to limit magazine capcity in the hunting field which could be taken out for maximum capacity during civil arguments between humans.

3. Go to the Reference Section at the Library and copy out your State's Penal Code sections that refer to firearms, PARTICULARY HOW YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CARRY THEM IN VEHICLES and on the street. There may be particular requirements/exemptions for shotguns. Remember: just showing the thing to a bad guy is considered assault with a deadly weapon unless he intends you great bodily harm. If he's dumb enough not to run. Let alone firing a warning shot. Or killing him. Much paperwork.

4. Measure your slug barrel and MAKE SURE IT IS >18" IN LENGTH to comply with Federal Firearms Laws regarding 'sawed off shotguns'.

5. Join the NRA, your State Firearms Association, subscribe to the Shotgun News, learn to reload, and take a Tactical Shotgun Course.

6. Join the local Rod and Gun Club. After all this is supposed to be about sporting FUN, isn't it? There you can first learn to Shoot and then to Hunt- THEN you will be ready to go with your buddy into the woods (wear orange, I can't see so good anymore).

7. Finally, when you are bored, study everything you can about the US Marine Corps shotgun. You are on the path of enlightenment my Son.

8. AND LAST (really): be careful with that thing. Pick it up and open the bolt, feel in the magazine, make sure (MAKE SURE) it is empty, and NEVER POINT IT AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DIE even if it is 'empty'. Keep it away from kids and idiots.

I think they have a newfangled thing called SABOTS that are better than slugs for hunting and fighting. Saw a guy with a little scope on one once.

It takes all kinds

And when you are done, study Aikido and Bowhunting- bullets are something you can run out of and that can be legislated away from you.

Don't use WD40 on it. It hardens over time and the firing pin goes ------tik- instead of SNAP! Keep it clean and lubed with drislide and rustproofed with Breakfree and don't get miffed when it gets all beat up and experienced looking so long as it still shoots straight. Study chokes for bird shooting.

That's all, carry on...

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Chakotay]

apc

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
That Mossy 500 is a fine choice for home defense. Inexpensive, quick and easy tear down, simple construction for reliable operation. Not the best for hunting tho.

I own a 500 with folding stock. I LOVE HER. Just racking the slide is usually all it takes to let someone know you mean business. If your opposition thinks you're bluffing, kick out a round to show them it's loaded. While not recommended, you could even empty the shot from the first round to be used as a warning shot.

Go pistol grip or folding stock, but get used to it with the full stock first. If you've never shot a 12ga with just a pistol grip (hip fired), it can be too much to handle the first time.

Buy a locking cabinet and keep it inside the house. Explain to your wife that it can either be locked safely in a location ready to defend you and your family, or it can be resting on the spare tire just waiting to get stolen and possibly used against you.

We have a right to own guns not only to protect us from invaders, but to protect us from our own government. WE decide how our government operates, and we reserve the right to defend our freedom with bloodshed.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I don't understand the fascination with guns but I suspect it has something to do with trying to gain power in one's life. Feelings of helplessness are resolved with a weapon. My grandfather used to say is was a good remedy for most feelings of inadequacy. Same as hunting - blowing the brains out of something somehow makes small people feel big. I'd like to see hunting done with bare hands - now that's a sport. To take on a big ass buck with nothing but your wits and maybe a knife to even the odds. Killing it from a half-mile away with a rifle doesn't seem like much of a sport to me - too cowardly.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
godservant posted this thread because he'd recently purchased his first firearm. He goes on to say that he's excited about going deer hunting in the autumn of this year and his wife is also upset about the whole deal.

I never read in his post about what he thinks about the 2nd amendment or if he thinks about violence in America, etc.

He sure as hell don't need to be criticized for his decision. I think he needs to be congratulated on this milestone event.
BTW, congrats godservant.
I know you're already thinking about purchasing your next one. Most owners do and have several firearms at their disposal. Although I've deer hunted with shotguns when I was a young'un, I prefer using a high-powered rifle.

May I suggest checking out a 270 Winchester or a .30-06 Springfeild. While most high caliber rifles are good at knocking down deer, I prefer one or the other of these two when I'm in the woods.

Again, congrats and just a word of advice. The trunk of your vehicle may be the worst place to keep your firearm. If your wife has a problem with keeping it in the house may I suggest your parents or some other family members home. Someone could easily break into your car and and use your pride and joy in an armed robbery or worse. Just advice. Not being critical.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
He sure as hell don't need to be criticized for his decision. I think he needs to be congratulated on this milestone event.

I agree, and the 500 is, in my opion the 2nd best shotgun out there (next to the 590)

Shotgun hunting isnt all that difficult I would say, though it all depends on your area. I agree with an earlier post to get a good safe and some buck shot (mmmm buck shot) any kind will protect you against thugs.

One thing too the best thing ever is practice, practice and more practice.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'm sorry for getting off topic but I was replying to a post. I think that a shot gun with slugs is better than buck shot for deer because there is less of a chance of wounding it, if you are close, they start dropping after about 100 yards.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join