It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The loch ness monster was an elephant?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Sorry if the link did not work for you here its again.

lsufos.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I too heard this explanation bout a traveling circus and the elephant used to swim in the loch, the humps seen were his trunk (as nessies head) head (as a second hump) and the elephants back (nessies third hump) thus making it look kind of like some large aquatic snake.
I thought it was a very plausible explanation however it would not explain any recent sightings of the monster however I believe that many are found to be hoax's.
I also heard somewhere that the whole loch had been searched, also with the use of sonar devices, and no large creature was found. There was even talk of draining the loch however that would be too hard a task.
Mysteries are supposed to stay mysterious anyway else it would be no fun.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by worksoftplayhard
riiiiight an elephant is swimming in the middle of a lake hundreds of meters deep only coming out at night to feed. that was a good one almost had me there!

It's not as stupid as it sounds. I've heard about this story aswell, obviously it doesn't swim 100's of metres down and is still there, it's believed that was the first sighting of it. Then after the original sightings people get it in their heads that there really is something down there so if something moves on the water or a duck appears out the water etc they think "holy crap its the monster" thats how myths like this get started.

The original sighting of the elephant is plausible.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So the Loch Ness sightings (at least in the thirties) could be explained by an elephant? You mean not a single one of those people searching could have noticed that there was an elephant around.
People I hate to to tell you this but the Loch Ness monster is a scam to sell plush toys to people gullible enough to vacation in Scotland.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
the elephant could be the answer to maybe a FEW of the sightings...but the sightings go back so far in history of people seeing large animals in the loch that there had to be something in there at one time or another.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
That i am saying. The first sightings of this thing, could be explained by the elephant sotry, then the elephant dies or whatever, but the sightings continue because people believe theres something there, so even a duck on the surface could appear like the head of a monster or whatever from far off to someone who believes it could be.

I just about guarentee theres nothing down there but people believe there is, so they go looking for NESSIE, therefore when they see something move on the water they go "Wow! its the monster look, look!"

Then people set up hoaxes which MORE people get suckered into. It's like a snowball, it starts with something like the elephant story, then just expands and expands, and like You said ^^ its now just being used to sell merchandise.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I agree that there is no Loch Ness Monster, the sheer number of tourists and hunters would have surely come up with some rock hard proof instead of low quality videos that could be a duck or a boot. It is not like the bigfoot myth where bigfoot has foothills and a large terrain to inhabit, Nessie just has this isolated Loch.
There may have once been something there whether that be an elephant or a plesiosaur (sorry on spelling) but whatever it was the thing is not immortal (i doubt) and so is not going to still be around today unless by chance it had a mate with it producing offspring to this day.
Tourists and hunters alike will buy into this sort of stuff so of course the Scottish Tourist Board are going to push it as reality and not fantasy, besides which it puts Scotland on the world map but since the worldwide take over generated from the Da Vinci Code Scotland has an all new tourist scene.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by george_gaz]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
No, it`s not an elephant! In fact, "Nessie" was claimed to be named by Sir Peter Scott. He also gave its scientific name. As it turned out, it was an anagram that spelled out" A monster hoax by Sir Peter S"! So, the pictures must be fakes. Although Nessie doesn`t exist, there is still probably some dinos out in the most isolated places on earth, like the Congo.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Whats its scientific name?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
OMG!? and for all this time I thought the whole thing was a hoax

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mandrake

I think that this thread has almost everything that needs to be said except that I am from Scotland, and nobody except the deranged think that it is anything other than a marketing scam up here.
I did hear one idea that was interesting though that the mysterious sonar findings could be a giant sturgeon but I think that might be as good as Nessie explanations get.

Watch the Evil Beneath Loch Ness for some terrifying 'Scottish' accents

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by vrahziusudra

The sightings on land, the other sightings in Loch Morag, the local coast, the woods- all just a marketing scam.

Going back to Dark Age sightings.

Sure.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Just to be devils advocate, maybe during the sonar "Nessie" hid in some hidden caverns or craters at the bottom of the loch?

Also, it doesn't have to be as massive as prehistoric dinos, like everything, they evolve to fit the habitat so maybe there is enough food to support a refined species of Nessie.

-Doesn't exist i know, dun fl4m3

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It is very possible that that is what it was. There was another lake somewhere where they took pictures of a sea serpent that turned out to be an elephant. I could be wrong but I am pretty certain that it was Gemwolf who postecd on that first. But the problem I have with this theory is that it cannot possibly explain all of the sightings everywhere around the globe. Like the monster in Lake Champlaign. I think it would be almost as strange to find that Champ is really an elephant swimming around in upstate New York. Almost.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by William One Sac

Funny I should drop in at this exact moment...

I'm not a big fan of the "Nessie was an elephant" theory.
1. Because there has been Nessie sightings long before the 1820's, and they continue to this day.
2. Most Nessie sightings have the "monster" disappear under water and not come up again.
3. As WOS just pointed out - there are many lake monsters, and they can't possibly all be explained away by "elephants".

I'm willing to accept that one or two sightings may have been a circus elephant, but not all of them. Although... If there were a whole herd of elephants that adapted an aquatic lifestyle and survived all these years under water...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I made a thread about this like 2 weeks ago, but it didn't turn out that popular because it's supposedly old news;(

Just check my profile and you'll see it(:

top topics

<< 1   >>

join