It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea doesn’t have any disabled people…Because they kill them.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It boggles my mind. As a parent, its hard for me to even think about this news, it’s to disturbing. Imagine killing off any less than perfect kids you may have because your government wants a purer strain of citizens…I wonder where I’ve heard that before…And this guy has nukes!!

North Korea Culls its Disabled Newborns

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has no people with physical disabilities because they are killed almost as soon as they are born, a physician who defected from the communist state said on Wednesday.

Ri Kwang-chol, who fled to the South last year, told a forum of rights activists that the practice of killing newborns was widespread but denied he himself took part in it.

"There are no people with physical defects in North Korea," Ri told members of the New Right Union, which groups local activists and North Korean refugees.

He said babies born with physical disabilities were killed in infancy in hospitals or in homes and were quickly buried.

The practice is encouraged by the state, Ri said, as a way of purifying the masses and eliminating people who might be considered "different."

Man I am glad I live where I do..

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
How about that N Korea and Holland now has something in common, oh yes, Florida too.............

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis
How about that N Korea and Holland now has something in common, oh yes, Florida too.............

Florida? You referring to Terry Schiavo? The woman that was a permanent vegetable who relied on machines and forced feeding to stay alive? The one that told her husband that she would never want to live on life support? That one? The one that every court in the land said letting her die naturally was the only just thing to do? That’s the case you speak of in Florida?

You liken that to the killing of newborns that have defects without any attempt to see if they can be cured or developed differently?

You’re sick. The TOS prevents me from telling how I really feel.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Hey Therm, didnt we make it clear in the last thread about Holland that killing retards (ala Ding Dong), allowing nature to take its course in the terminally injured (ala Schiavo), and allowing immensly disfigured/underdeveloped, already dying babies go in peace (ala the Holland incident) are all entirely different situations?

Why do you insist on placing them into the same catagory morally?

Its pretty close-minded of you, and I am sure other people are tiring of arguing with you when you refuse to differenciate between them.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Ok skippydefunk..........one deviation from topic here. Terry was Starved......that's not a "natural" death..........

Murder is murder in my book no matter what the reason. handicapped in N Korea, babies in holland, handicapped in florida, girl babies in India and China.............etc, etc, etc.

Life of the innocent and hanidcapped should be defended not "terminated" for convienince to society..........

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Like I said...very closeminded of you.

You are entitled to your beliefs, but not everyone sees these different situations as one in the same. My point is that people tire of arguing about, say, the holland incident when you keep bringing up convenience killings of the handicapped, or of brain-dead, half machine, women in Florida. The reverse is also true. You can go ahead and lump them together, but you only close the door for arguement on intelligent people who do not see them all as being governed by your particular version of morality.

Not flaming you for beliefs. You can keep them. I dont even care to convice you otherwise. I just wish you realized why I am tired of being dragging into a single sided arguement about something with so many ethical tangents.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by DaFunk13]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis
Ok skippydefunk..........one deviation from topic here. Terry was Starved......that's not a "natural" death..........

Murder is murder in my book no matter what the reason. handicapped in N Korea, babies in holland, handicapped in florida, girl babies in India and China.............etc, etc, etc.

Life of the innocent and hanidcapped should be defended not "terminated" for convienince to society..........

Starved? Murder? Why didnt she get up form her bed and feed herself then?

I wont allow this thread to be hijacked.

Its about North Korea culling infants because they may not be perfect to keep thier populace pure.

And anybody who likens that to anything else has an agenda or is simply missguided.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Its about North Korea culling infants because they may not be perfect to keep there populace pure.

Agreed. Let's get it back on that topic. So if you're getting worked up, CLICK HERE.

[edit on 3/22/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This story is bunk as far as I can tell.

Here are the facts. The North Korean government has, in the past, claimed to be free of handicapped or disabled people. They tried to expel handicapped and disabled people from Pyongang and other large cities to keep up the illusion. Read some of these links on the plight of the handicapped and disabled in North Korea.

www.koreanwar-educator.org...

aped.snu.ac.kr...

Link

www.fas.org...

In actuality, there are institutions for the handicapped, as well as schools and hospitals designed specifically for them in North Korea. Many of them are in remote areas and farming communities. The welfare conditions are poor, but they aren't murdering every person with a physical defect, that's ludicrous. For the doctor to make such a claim is very suspicious.

Why not pick up on the REAL stories? What, they're not dramatic enough? North Korea has a lot of real problems in dealing with the needs of its citizens, all of which merit attention and commentary.

Drama for its own sake is counter-productive as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
This story is bunk as far as I can tell.

Please prove the defector reporting these atrocities is telling lies then. If you cannot refute his story, then you cannot dismiss the story.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Hrm.

On the one hand, I'm pretty sure that the disabled in North Korea lead an awful existance that I could never really imagine, just as the vast majority of its citizens do.

On the other, I remember seeing a documentary with some footage taken from inside North Korea recently, circa 2004. I saw a lot of disabled (and allegedly dead) people in that, many lying in the streets. The soldiers looked little better off.

As WyrdeOne said, there's no need to exaggerate. North Korea's problems are bad enough.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Please prove the defector reporting these atrocities is telling lies then. If you cannot refute his story, then you cannot dismiss the story.

WyrdeOne provided the evidence that your source is wrong. Why don't you do what you can to provide evidence that your source is correct? Or is it because she's right?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

WyrdeOne provided the evidence that your source is wrong. Why don't you do what you can to provide evidence that your source is correct? Or is it because she's right?

He didnt prove that the source is wrong, he proved that there is some infrastructure that supports dissabled North Korans. What proof that is there that none have been killed or continue to be killed? He even showed they are hidden and sent away from the cities, is it so hard to imagine some are killed as well?

No proof at all this guy isnt telling the truth.

The Nazi's set up buildings that housed and fed jews at the camps, does that mean they didnt kill them?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

is it so hard to imagine some are killed as well?

So wait... Now you're saying some are killed? But your title and your source both say that all are killed. You even back up your source in saying that all are killed.

Though, to answer your question, no, it is not hard to imagine that some are killed. All, though, as you and your source propose, yes.

[edit on 3/22/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The doctor claimed North Korea kills all people with physical defects. Have I failed to prove that claim an outright lie? Here I thought I did a fair job of it.

That doctor's statement is simply not true, and I showed you that, but you persist? Why do you WANT it to be true? That's the question I think you should be asking yourself.

Reasonable people make their decisions and construct their worldview based on the weight of available evidence, not based on a political agenda or a prejudice or a rumor. :shk:

[edit on 22-3-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
All the jews werent killed either. You guys can split hairs all you want, but the bottom line is that we have an actual North Korean that says newborns with defects are culled. Regardless of what infrastructure is set up to "care" for them exists, it does not in any way shape or form refute this mans claims.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
Hrm.

On the one hand, I'm pretty sure that the disabled in North Korea lead an awful existance that I could never really imagine, just as the vast majority of its citizens do.

On the other, I remember seeing a documentary with some footage taken from inside North Korea recently, circa 2004. I saw a lot of disabled (and allegedly dead) people in that, many lying in the streets. The soldiers looked little better off.

As WyrdeOne said, there's no need to exaggerate. North Korea's problems are bad enough.

I saw a documentary some time ago on North Korea. If I recall correctly, the handicaped and infirm were discouraged from being seen in daylight, in the streets, because it would take away from the image of North Korea being a place where there are any weaknesses.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You guys can split hairs all you want, but the bottom line is that we have an actual North Korean that says newborns with defects are culled.

An 'actual North Korean', OMG.

You caught one! They're very rare.

/sarcasm

It's not splitting hairs, it's taking issue with what the man is saying. This is what Ri said, from your source:

Ri Kwang-chol, who fled to the South last year, told a forum of rights activists that the practice of killing newborns was widespread but denied he himself took part in it.

"There are no people with physical defects in North Korea," Ri told members of the New Right Union, which groups local activists and North Korean refugees.

My emphasis.

There's no hair to split. It's just wrong.

I can't imagine why someone would say such an obviously and verifiably untrue thing. That's the party line! "We have no imperfect people here." Nonsense!

A report came out in 2002, another defector I think, and it was pretty horrifying stuff dealing with the work camps. That's a real issue, the way NK treats political dissidents. So why are all these real issues being continuously clouded by extravagant, dramatic claims?

That's what I'm taking issue with.

top topics

join