It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traitors at NBC News

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
you're talking slant [ we got an apples n oranges problem here ]

while the sold out to the corporation media sells us CRAP !

I'm talkin' about PRIVATELY OWNED media with NO CORPORATE TIES

no obligations, except to call it as they see it , as opposed to calling it like THEY'RE TOLD TO , like how they're doing us everyday !

eh ?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Look, I'm not defending corporate media or independent media one way or the other. All I'm saying is slant and bias will exist, no matter who owns the media.

Even back in the day it was the owners who decided what to put in their courants. The difference then and now is that the owners were also the writers and editors.

If you do a bit of research on media back then you will also notice that they have crap info in them as well. It's not a new development.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I'm not sure we're disagreeing
or we're just not having a meeting of the minds
which is it ?

you think it's the same thing ? is that what you are saying ?

if so , I disagree

and I'll still take the media , prior to the corporations getting a stranglehold on them faults n all

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Probably not having a meeting of the minds.

What I'm saying is there is bias and slant and there will always be bias and slant. Whether it's pro government or otherwise.

From my observation of the history of media up till now, there are cycles to it. There will be a period where the media experiences a lot of freedoms followed by a gradual erosion of media freedoms until it becomes controlled by government entities. Then the media will begin to enjoy their freedoms once again, be it slowly or in a sudden flash of events.

Like for example, in the mainstream western media right now, I think the cycle is slowly returning to the controlled, slightly less freedoms stage. In Malaysia on the other hand, we are slowly returning to more freedoms in the media, like it was before Mahathir.

These are just my personal observations. I'm sure if you look for it, you'll find some paper or article that backs it up.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Thermopolis, in my opinion, you seem to be supporting the suppression of the very information that can help save our country.

Ignorance is bliss only to the weak, my friend.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Jamuhn]

The interview itself could make good Intel............it should have been "microscoped" by NSA, etc. I am against it being "on-air" providing credibility to terrorist. Like Clinton and Cater meeting with Arafat and the PLO, it gave them instant worldwide credibility.

Anytime you put the "enemy" on national TV it helps "their" cause. Especially in a media that reports only the bad events. The alphabet networks are providing propaganda for the defeat of the US in Iraq.

The Iraqi war has been the best fought war in history, largest territory gained in shortest time, fewest casualties, etc, etc. But the media would have you think it was napoleons "waterloo".

The mainstream media are TRAITORS........there is no more First amendment because the press isn't free anymore.....it is in the hands of the enemies of america.

NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN should all be taken OFF the air for TREASON.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
Didn't the Geneva Convention exist to the Nazis?

They seemed to apply the conventions regarding POWs for the western allied powers, yes, allowing US prisoners to be accessed and fed by the Red Cross. Regarding the USSR and others they didn't, then again neither was the USSR at that time a Geneva Conventions signatory.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
Didn't the Geneva Convention exist to the Nazis?

They seemed to apply the conventions regarding POWs for the western allied powers, yes, allowing US prisoners to be accessed and fed by the Red Cross. Regarding the USSR and others they didn't, then again neither was the USSR at that time a Geneva Conventions signatory.

Okay, I'm going to be quiet now, the treaty concerning the treatment of civilians was signed in 1949. It's still a part of the Geneva Convention, but just really not applicable anymore to the conversation.

Here's a link to the Geneva Convetion on Wikipedia: Link #1

And more specifically to the Fourth Geneva Convention which concerns the treatment of general populations, and the status and treatment of protected regions: Link #2

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis
The Iraqi war has been the best fought war in history, largest territory gained in shortest time, fewest casualties, etc, etc. But the media would have you think it was napoleons "waterloo".

The mainstream media are TRAITORS........there is no more First amendment because the press isn't free anymore.....it is in the hands of the enemies of america.

???? Yes, it was a well-fought war. But my point is that it was badly planned and the aftermath (looting, disbandment of the Iraqi Army, theft of huge amounts of munitions) has led directly to the insurgency. There are very few foreign fighters in Iraq now - they're homegrown. Shia vs Sunni. Sunni vs Coalition. The government is a mess, the Iraqi army has been put back together with unseemly haste and poor quality equipment and bombs are STILL going off every day. It's a mess, a quagmire. What's good about that? US troops are going to be there, on the ground, in large numbers, until at least 2008. That wasn't in the original plan.
And if you think that's just my opinion, what about the comments by retired generals that Rumsfeld is the most incompetant Secretary of Defence since Robert McNamara (which I think is a bit harsh on Bob)?
It's a mess and the point of the media is to report the truth. If anything the media in the US has been cowed since 9/11 and has been putting out puff pieces on how well the Government is doing. My girlfriend is American and she is in despair over the current state of America. We can't watch Fox News because we both want to throw up over how much BS comes out of it.
Well, now the mainstream media is coming out of its torpor and is reporting the truth. That does not make them traitors Thermopolis, please get a sense of proportion here. Just because someone disagrees with Bush that does NOT make him a traitor. Just because someone points out a scandal at Abu Graib, that does not mean that he is dissing the US Army. This makes me want to stand up on a rooftop and start screaming. I love my country, Great Britain. My girlfriend loves her country, the USA. We both love the elements that make up our countries, the values that they and we both share - free speech, open democracy, the rule of law, open government. If we point out that someone in the Government has done something that sullies our countries name in the court of world opinion, does that make us traitors? No, it makes us patriots. I may disagree with what Thermopolis says, but I will defend his right to say it. Isn't that what free speech means?
And you mentioned Clinton and Arafat - Bush has been seen with Gerry Adams. Does that mean that condones the IRA? No, of course not. The world is not black and white, it is a million shades, light and shadow. People need as much information as they can get to form a real picture of current events. That's my job. I've been a journalist for 10 years and not once during that decade - and I've worked for Radio, TV and now magazines - have I been told to show bias of any kind in what I write. I wrote an article on global warming last year and no-one told me what kind of angle to put on it. I just reported the facts.
And if you don't like the facts, then I suggest you turn your TV off and go away and read a good book. More people should, I happen to think that we are becoming a global society of illiterate idiots. But then that's my hobbyhorse.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   

The interview itself could make good Intel............it should have been "microscoped" by NSA, etc. I am against it being "on-air" providing credibility to terrorist. Like Clinton and Cater meeting with Arafat and the PLO, it gave them instant worldwide credibility.

'Credibility to the terrorist?' What credibility - that they exist? I didn't see anything in that interview that glorified the terrorists. There was one line in the video report that quoted the terrorist as saying 'this is war - we shoot them, they shoot us'. I could see where that may humanize and equate the Taliban with the US soldiers (as pawns in a terrible game). Is this what has you upset?

Anytime you put the "enemy" on national TV it helps "their" cause. Especially in a media that reports only the bad events. The alphabet networks are providing propaganda for the defeat of the US in Iraq.

HUH? Did it help their cause in your mind? If you read my post a coupla pages back you'd see this piece was to make the US populace scared of the enemy - just what the military and Administration wants.

Best fought war in history? Too subjective a statement for my liking. Ask the US soldiers that have fought in this war if they agree. I'm sure the government would agree with you.

Originally posted by thermopolisThe mainstream media are TRAITORS........there is no more First amendment because the press isn't free anymore.....it is in the hands of the enemies of america.

LOL - wait a minute.... I agree with you about the press being in the hands of the enemies of America - except I think they're in the hands of the US govt and military - remember these are EMBEDDED troops, and that the mainstream media is well-schooled in the art of self-censorship.

And if you don't like the facts, then I suggest you turn your TV off and go away and read a good book. More people should, I happen to think that we are becoming a global society of illiterate idiots. But then that's my hobbyhorse

If you don't like the facts, turn off your TV. How much is wrong with that statement? TV is the biggest propaganda machine ever invented. You want the facts, go to the story - don't watch TV. Aside from that, doesn't your statement refute what you've said earlier - that the media is in the hands of the enemy? Are you saying with the Taliban calling the shots (again I totally disagree with that assessment) that TV is truthful?

I have to reiterate - this piece was nothing but US propaganda to amp up the population's fear and the strength of the enemy in their minds - there's lots more base-building to be done in the Middle East, and without the people on board Congress may just stand up and deny the funding they need to continue.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmytango

And if you don't like the facts, then I suggest you turn your TV off and go away and read a good book. More people should, I happen to think that we are becoming a global society of illiterate idiots. But then that's my hobbyhorse

If you don't like the facts, turn off your TV. How much is wrong with that statement? TV is the biggest propaganda machine ever invented. You want the facts, go to the story - don't watch TV. Aside from that, doesn't your statement refute what you've said earlier - that the media is in the hands of the enemy? Are you saying with the Taliban calling the shots (again I totally disagree with that assessment) that TV is truthful?

Ummm.... actually that last quote there is by me. Not Thermopolis at all. So don't have a go at him.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Major media needs to be slashed off the air and replaced.

Heck no.

Take away the FCC liscense.

They did nothing illegal or wrong. Its not the job of the media to fight the war. Even the founders realized that it was better to have news media than a country itself.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind

Originally posted by jimmytango

Ummm.... actually that last quote there is by me. Not Thermopolis at all. So don't have a go at him.

ooops - my apologies and thanks for correcting me!

Care to elaborate on the facts and TV comment then? I agree with your last sentence about the illiterate idiots, and also recommend reading a book, but turn off the TV if you don't like the facts? The facts TV gives you are THEIR facts, not THE facts.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
What do you believe is the number one objective of any news outlet, be it newspaper or network television? Is it to provide fair and balanced reporting? Is it to slant the news to the desires of the NWO? Is it to keep the common man ignorant with mundane distractions?

The answer is none of the above.

The number one objective of any news outlet is to turn a profit. They are a business and if they don't turn a profit they will go under.

You can be assured they will not report something that is going to hurt their bottom line. In fact, most of what they do report is designed to increase the bottom line by drawing as many viewers as possible.

Just my .02

Wupy

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Good thread, interesting because of the way it shows some of the polarization surrounding the issue of freedom of the press.

Nygdan, I'm still trying to puzzle out your last post, what in the dickins did you mean?

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind

???? Yes, it was a well-fought war. But my point is that it was badly planned and the aftermath (looting, disbandment of the Iraqi Army, theft of huge amounts of munitions) has led directly to the insurgency.

snip

And if you don't like the facts, then I suggest you turn your TV off and go away and read a good book. More people should, I happen to think that we are becoming a global society of illiterate idiots. But then that's my hobbyhorse.

It is sad that a reasonably intellgent person can be so brainwashed by the moron media.

Munitions........it would appear you have no concept of the massive amount of materials in Iraq even after the invation and the tons that were blown up by the good guys.

I do agree we let the terrorist grow in power becuase we didn't bomb every mosque and level the sunni triangle.

I do blame the major media whiny, whimpy,, PC girlymen, for not letting the military finish the job.

The one really positive thing about the Iraqi war as I see..... it...... is there are many fewer reporters now.................

As far as reading books............based on the books,,,,,,it could create more morons.............like the hollywood "elite".

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I do agree we let the terrorist grow in power becuase we didn't bomb every mosque and level the sunni triangle.

If you did that you would have even more opposition. It would be seen as a blatant attack on muslims in that country, instead of simply an invasion.

No, bombing every mosque would back-fire badly on the US, giving the Sunni insurgents even more ammo for their cause.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The mainstream media are indeed traitors, and are wholly controlled by the big money powers that also control our governments, but to use this meaningless little story to make the point is to strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.

To see this story only in terms of how it effects the war effort is to not reach even the first level of meaningful analysis. I would rather start by attempting to ascertain what parts are true and which false, and then continue by determining what the desired effect on the reader might be. But then my purpose is to find truth rather than to propagandize.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   

It is sad that a reasonably intellgent person can be so brainwashed by the moron media.

Agreed. To that end I'd like to ask just where you get your information about the war in Iraq, the 'enemy', their total armaments, etc. I'd like to know where you discovered that Muslims are the enemy and have to be destroyed (that is what I took out of the following statement):

"I do agree we let the terrorist grow in power becuase we didn't bomb every mosque and level the sunni triangle. "

I'm guessing that in addition to your own research and readings, a bulk of your information came from the mainstream media. Presuming that is the case, how do you know that it wasn't YOU who was taken in by the media?

I do blame the major media whiny, whimpy,, PC girlymen, for not letting the military finish the job.

The one really positive thing about the Iraqi war as I see..... it...... is there are many fewer reporters now.................

Just how has the media stopped the military? As human shields? I'm beginning to think you're one sick puppy, wishing death on 1000s of innocents and taking satisfaction in the death of journalists, who, like it or not, are your best chance at getting the real deal in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I also get the feeling that you didn't read my post about the propaganda quotient of this report being off the chart. This story was meant to foment just the type of emotional reaction your displaying.

As far as reading books............based on the books,,,,,,it could create more morons.............like the hollywood "elite".

Yes reading books creates morons......

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I came to this discussion a bit late, I know, but in response to the OP, I think the media in general is traitorous. I realize they're in business, but I don't think that should preclude national security and crime prevention.

At times they run stories that shock the h ll out of me because they tell our enemies and our criminals where we're vulnerable. This wasn't always the case.

There was a time when the government would ask the media to back off in the interests of all involved and it would. I know some will argue that the government and the media are one and the same anyway, but that's not where I want to go with this.

I think, as with our government, we need to find some way to hold the media accountable for its actions when something it's broadcast(ed?) ends up backfiring.

My $.02.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I can't say where , cuz I don't recall exactly

but the gist of the article was about a lawsuit for lying

the outcome was , the media was not required by law to be truthful !

I found that to be most disturbing...it confirmed what I already knew, they are not trustworthy

not good...

thx to jimmy tango for this

" The facts TV gives you are THEIR facts, not THE facts. "

[edit on 25-3-2006 by toasted]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join