It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Wants Increased Student Drug Testing

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Can't anyone see those hypocrits dying from laughter while you're frantically trying to determine who of you is a fascist ?? divide and conquer at its finest !

Prescribing SPEED (Ritalin) to a quarter of the school population, then calling for mandatory drug tests, belongs in the dictionary as a definition of 'chuzpah', folks. Stop fighting each other and drop the blinders pls - a reminder for the odd collectivist who's inevitably going to defnd the (mal-)practice:

www.ritalindeath.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have an idea, lets start testing all politicians every time they have to take office after they get off vacation. Let's see how they like that.

NEway, if this should go through, it will only pick off the productive recreational users, not the users who will never graduate in the first place, who are usually NOT in school and DO NOT participate in extracurricular programs, as it's seen as "uncool" and "boring," because it's connected to School.

The Abusers are the ones that do not amount to anything and contribute to the crime rate. The ones who have their habit under control usually do not graduate from Crime High (Juvinile Detention) and go on the graduate Criminal University (Adult Prison).

Cognitive Liberties need to be enshrined. The government is there to protect us from each other, not from ourselves.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The government takes small bites in the direction that it wants to go in order to get there. Mandatory drug testing of all kids in school would not fly but what about everyone involved in after hours schools events. Might sound controversial but that would most likely fly. Now a few years from now anyone busted for drugs would have to submit to drug tests in order to remain in school. That type of incremental advances towards their goal will eventually get them there.

Now has anyone considered insurance as a motive for drug testing? Has anyone heard of corporations that test its employees for smoking in order to save on insurance?

I am against this type of policy but if you were in the government and wanted to reduce illegal drug abuse don't you think mandatory drug testing in schools would have a profound reduction in illegal drug use?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
Now a few years from now anyone busted for drugs would have to submit to drug tests in order to remain in school. That type of incremental advances towards their goal will eventually get them there.

I am against this type of policy but if you were in the government and wanted to reduce illegal drug abuse don't you think mandatory drug testing in schools would have a profound reduction in illegal drug use?

But that is exactly the point! I agree with your first part, as in, they are taking steps toward their goal, but you have to ask, what the hell is their goal? I have a fairly good idea. They couldn't really care less about whether or not your sons and daughters are harming themselves through drug use, but darn it, if they catch them with drugs, throw them either in jail or the military, its a damn good way to get more CONTROL over your lives and your childrens lives.

As to your second statement that drug testing would have a profound reaction in illegal drug use, NO!! Sorry but every single independant and government funded study comes to the conclusion that Law Enforcement and Mandatory Sentences do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in order to deter people from using. The ONLY solution to helping someone get off drugs is TREATMENT. Treat it like it is, a disease, an addiction and illness of the body and mind.

Even the governments own studies come to this conclusion, so why do they step up law enforcement instead of treatment? Simple, its easier and more profitable to do so, and brings them closer and closer to their goal. which should be obvious to everyone now, total control, a Totalitarian Police State.

The world is going downhill, but thats because thats the direction our leaders are taking us in.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The day we start drug testing the President, the members of the House, Senators, the Cabinet, and the Supreme Court and post the results on the nightly news and a website is the day we should start thinking about taking away the privacy of some kid that wants to play ball.

Those aformentioned positions in government hold a lot of power and unless and until we see what's in their bloodstream they have no right to ask us about ours.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphacenturi
Sorry, don't mean to go on but does anybody not notice that the article seems to be focused on drug testing for the students who engage in after school activity. I stress this because it would seem that these kids having already made a decision by choosing activities after school, ( choir, band, sports, music, etc.) have already chosen a path that is not reflective of drug use.

It just seems a little strange to focus on kids that already have alternative outlets.

Although the article states mandatory testing for students, why are these particular groups of students being centered out instead of students who otherwise engage in no activities after school?
I really must agree. My daughter is also likewise engaged in Track, drama and 4-H after school. By the time she is finished with practice, dinner and homework she is way too tired to even think about getting into trouble. The kids involved with after school activities such as drama and sports or part-time jobs have made the decision to for the most part pursue a healthy lifestyle. Why single them out? Here's an idea; instead of trying to catch kids doing wrong how about encouraging healthy activities and catch them doing right providing positive reenforcement. Sure this approach make cause us adults a little extra work but wow the payoff. Let's have a little more faith in our kids most of them will make good choices and be productive citizens.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Drugs. Seems that one ought to think about more than just "illegal substances" when one thinks about this. A solution is fairly simple if junk food companies can sell cancer goods than there really should be no fair or honest reason to keep the other drugs "illegal" since many of the regular legal kinds of foods and liquids one can buy in a grocery store destroy families and communities just the same. It seems that a "black market" exists because a group of criminals can profit of it. Much the same as a corporation can profit off of sugar snacks. In most instances one could absorb far more lsd in proportion to body weight than one could of caffiene or sugar and still walk away from the experience without as much possible damage.

The war on drugs is like a war on food. It should be more correctly a War on Exuberant consumption of anything, or a war on excess and all drugs should be legalized for use in moderation. If you violate moderate useage you find yourself in rehab for 90 days. Just the same if you become excessively fat maybe you should be forced into nutritional rehab.

Nutritional rehab? Yep. Because most people that have addictions are poorly fed and generally experience far more "bad trips" based more often upon their ignorance of body chemistry and the corporate and community acceptance of said ignorance. Ignorance of drugs is no excuse for just blanket illegalization. Knowledge has been ripped out of it's proper setting and replaced with propaganda and I wonder if that helps prison industries or hurts their contracts?

Psychedelic drug, '___'-25, likely to be legalized in Russian medicine - PRAVDA.Ru

'___' faces an acid test as a pain killer

$60 billion of Pharmaceutical Company Revenues under Threat from Generic Drugs; Over 40 Major Patent Expiries to Drive Growth to 2009

As long as profit motives remain in place for corporate drug makers any natural substance that relieves any kind of pain will be considered a threat to the market share and stocks. There is big money in making drugs and controlling who makes profits or at the least whom is allowed to sell and manufacture substances, whether food or liquid or pill.

$1 Million Grant to Expand Baltimore Drug Treatment

With all the treatment and punishment fines and criminal sentencing that result from protecting people from themselves whom would be able to protect people from their own thoughts? Cognitive freedom in any country with laws against personal use and thoughts or altered states of cognition is merely in rhetoric alone. Rhetoric is a force multiplier of disinformation. The last 70 to 50 years barring the 1960's have been fairly anti-science or experimentation with altered states yet we claim to have such invested interest in genetics research and cognitive or artificial intelligence processes, yet ignore the elephant sitting in the room so to speak.

AlterNet: Drug Companies: Sell Hard, Sell Fast ... and Count the Bodies Later

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
How bouts we spend that money to bust the people making meth and crack? Whadabout we worry about the people selling this to our kids, rather than seeking to incriminate kids for doing what kids do...experiment. Drug testing in a school is like criminal trials in jail. They show up for school...what more do you want?

The government makes too much money off of crack for them to seriously do something about it. Where do you think all the coc aine came from in the 80s?

Answer: The CIA (Cocaine Import Agency)

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I am well aware, my friend...well aware.

This is my point. I think almost every rational person on here agrees that this money would be better spent curbing the drugs at the source, rather than in our high schools. We are doing nothing but ruining these kids young adult lives with something we all fall victim of...curiousity.

I am all for identifying drug "problems" and helping get kids help. However, I seriously doubt they are doing much more than suspending kids for smokin a little reefer before that boring history class.

Yet another pointless waste of money that we have all gotten waaaaay to accustomed to.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
What I would like to see is some serious GWBush-drug-testing.

Sometimes, he doesn't make sense, and it's clear he's out of his mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join