It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Wants Increased Student Drug Testing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   

from alphacenturi

Sorry, don't mean to go on but does anybody not notice that the article seems to be focused on drug testing for the students who engage in after school activity. I stress this because it would seem that these kids having already made a decision by choosing activities after school, ( choir, band, sports, music, etc.) have already chosen a path that is not reflective of drug use.

I noticed this also, and don't get the point of it at all. As you point out, this group of kids seem to have already made good choices on how to spend their time, and would thus have less time or inclination to indulge.

One possibility comes to mind, though - testing athletes for steroids use. Now that I'd support.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Why should the Government be looking for ways around the constitution? Shouldnt they be looking to adhere to the spirit as well as the letter?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
A poor choice of words perhaps, but taking hair or urine samples from students who want to participate in extra-curricular activities is a lot different than stopping folks on the street or knocking on their doors to do so, which is the kind of searches covered by the Fourth Amendment.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
cuz they're the enemy !

seems pretty obvious

also obvious are the other things they've weaseled into our lives

remember ben franklin " if the american people ever give up freedom for security, they'll end up with neither "
...we can see that unfolding right before our eyes

also , look a how they're turning smokers into CRIMINALS ! WTF ?

nope , the gov't is facist and is out of control

if the american people , don't snap out of the fog bank that they are currently parked in ,
when they finally DO WAKEUP , it'll be too late to do anything and our freedoms will be just a memory

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Truthfully Grady i think it waas a perfect choice of words, is it obeying the letter of the Constitution.......probably.....is it obeying the spirit? I dont think so myself

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Does no one see the irony in this? A druggie wants to increase drug testing! Someone who couldn't serve in the National Guard because he was a coke head wants to test kids for drugs.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   

GradyPhilpott
Drugs are destroying the future of this nation. Drug use has become so widespread and the consequences so dire to not only the users, but to those who live, work, and play nearby.

What "drugs" are you talking about?

Aspirin? Caffeine? Heroin? Marijuana? Alcohol? Tobacco? Sugar?

I'm sure you get where I'm going. "Drugs are bad" is a tired meme. You should put more thought behind it than that. I'm willing to bet that you use drugs on a daily basis and never think twice about it. And most of them probably aren't good for you, either.

Sugar, which is addictive, causes cancer, for example, along with a lot of other health problems you can find by Googling. I know aspirin is really hard on your liver. Caffeine, which you can also become dependent upon, has its strengths and weaknesses (as do all of these drugs, of course). Alcohol is absolutely horrible on your body compared to marijuana, and so are cigarettes, and yet those two substances are somehow legal while marijuana is not. And heroin isn't something I even care to know much about, personally, but nonetheless, at least put some more thought behind all of this and not just "drugs are bad." There are a lot of shades of gray here, as you're dealing with a wide range of substances. Denying ignorance should still apply here.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I always thought that extra-curricular activities such as sports, drama, and band were deterents to drug abuse. They were supposed to provide a positive outlet so that the kids involved wouldn't be as likely to start abusing drugs out of boredom.
It seems to me, that random drug testing will only serve to scare off those kids who may be on the fence between experimenting with drugs and pursuing an activity that might steer them away from becoming a habitual user.
When all's said and done, we may end up with drug free extra-curricular activities, but at whose expense? Since most of the kids in these programs have already made the decision not to use drugs, it will be the minority of kids who may just be dabbling in drugs but fear getting caught that will be most affected. These kids are also the ones who could benefit the most from the positive influences provided by these programs, if they weren't detered from joining by the threat of random drug testing.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
A poor choice of words perhaps, but taking hair or urine samples from students who want to participate in extra-curricular activities is a lot different than stopping folks on the street or knocking on their doors to do so, which is the kind of searches covered by the Fourth Amendment.

Really, where does it say that random, warrantless searches and seizures, without just cause, were only forbidden when applied to random people on the street or in their homes, but that they were allowed if you were a minor and wanted to participate in extra-curricular activities through your school?
I'm pretty sure that the 4th amendment applies to every American citizen, and were I a parent, I would refuse to allow my child's school to drug test my child, no matter what their rationale was.

The government is encroaching more and more on a parents rights to parent their children and it is very disturbing. If a child is suspected of being under the influence of drugs by his/her school, the school should notify the parents of the suspicious behaviour and let them decide how to handle it. End of story.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

I don't. I WILL RAISE MY KIDS, NOT THE GOVERNMENT! To start with, I more qualified to do it than they are. Are parents too lazy or busy to raise them themselves?

Unfortunately not all parents feel as you do therefore we need mandatory drug testing in schools.

As sad as it is to say many parents are either drug users themselves or just do not give a darn. Just look at our prison system it is full of drug pushers, users, sellers and it makes me sick.

Something has to be done about it and what better way to stop the use of drugs then too nip them in the butt at an early age?

I swear, some of the ATSers are definitely mouthpieces for this crooked administration.

MANDATORY screening? Are you serious? I bet you support police randomly stopping drivers and taking their blood for DUI suspicion.

Have you ever thought about the whole drug thing? War on drugs ring a bell? Ain't it funny how there's a DIRECT relationship between the money spent on the war and the amount of drugs in the US? We're talking a linear curve here; more money spent, more drugs come in, more drug dollars in the US economy.

Ever wonder why you can, on average, get less time for offing someone than for slanging weed or yay? No, of course not, you're too busy pointing the finger at those barbaric, criminal weed smokers and dealers locked up to notice the hardcore killers getting out...

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
usually i try to defend bush, but this is plain stupidity, if not to fund agencies like the dea to take down the distributers, then to something MUCH MUCH more important then drugs, 15 million will go a long way for katrina victims, oil, and a hunters permit for dick cheyney.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Free will and Pot go hand in hand and by design there are canaboid recievers in the brain - pot does not need to be destilled, purified, or changed in any manor to be used.

It is a helpful substance until it is laced with something else!

Greg

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
oh shiz johnny down the street is now serving a life sentence for smoking a joint omgors ...sounds like just another day in bushland to me

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Lamagraa]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Every independant scientific and sociological study comes to the conclusion that as far as drug usage is concerned, TREATMENT should be emphasised, and they should abolish mandatory minimum sentences.

Your US prisons are full of small time losers and small time drug users, who should have been treated, and given something to live for other than drugs, they never go after the big guns anyway.

I find it funny that since the war on drugs, you guys have like 3 times the amount of drugs on the street. The only war on drugs, is the war against the people that aren't a part of Bush's cabal. I also find it funny that the Bush's made their family fortune through the importing of Opium, BEFORE they went into the Blood for Oil business.

Also, the CIA run its Black Ops programs (that is, a war against the citizenry) through a Black Budget which is funded by.....YEP! None other than good old South American Nose Candy - Ie, Cocaine.

You guys have been fooled big time by your fascist leaders....

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   

GradyPhilpott
Drugs are destroying the future of this nation. Drug use has become so widespread and the consequences so dire to not only the users, but to those who live, work, and play nearby.

I refuse to believe that anyone has such a black and white opinion on this, but please elaborate on which drugs are dangerous and which are OK? You are tarring all drugs with the same brush which is ignorance beyond comprehension.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrBones666

Your US prisons are full of small time losers and small time drug users, who should have been treated, and given something to live for other than drugs, they never go after the big guns anyway.

Unfortunately true.

The only war on drugs, is the war against the people that aren't a part of Bush's cabal. I also find it funny that the Bush's made their family fortune through the importing of Opium, BEFORE they went into the Blood for Oil business.

The War On Drugs has been officially around for about 35 years, so don't blame it on Bush. He may be the easiest person to blame, and you're likely to win a lot of attaboys for blaming him, but it's just not true in this case.

You guys have been fooled big time by your fascist leaders....

I don't think so.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Drugs are illegal in school.

Which means no aspirin, no inhaler, no tums, no sudafed. Okay, definitely no Sudafed, but you get the point I'm sure.

Drugs are what they are, and what they are, is ubiquitous. You can't throw a stone without hitting a drug dealer in this country, legal or illegal, it really doesn't matter.

The administration has no problem doping your children, provided they pick the drugs.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
We all take drugs here folks.

Are you a junky or a patient?

Is there a difference?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
They want to prevent the drug-users from taking part in extra-curricular activities?

They need to do something to ENCOURAGE the drug-users to take part in extra-curricular activities to possibly steer them away and into a healthier lifestyle.

Mod Edit: No discussion of drug use etc please. Thanks

[edit on 3/22/06 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It's a shame there is so much money made from the war on drugs. That's the main reason it is illegal. It has nothing to do with health issues. It is not nearly as bad for you as alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine. I think the paper industry would be greatly affected as well, since hemp is more efficient, on so many levels. They got people doing 60+ years for getting caught with weed a few times. Aren't there REAL criminals to catch? Oh yeah, they are currently in the white house now, and are above the law.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Good point, don't the stoners uh, not do anything? I don't see to many coke heads playing football, cheerleading maybe, but they aren't drug tested.(Another pun on Bush)

Although I guess I see how it works, throw Druggie A and B and C in jail, more drugs for Bush to do! I can't believe how hypocritical this guy is, he does Coke, he does Pot, he drinks like a fish, and now he wants to be tough on drugs? WHo got DUIs when you couldn't get them if you drove your car into the courthouse? Bush!

[edit on 22-3-2006 by DevinS]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join