It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Wants Increased Student Drug Testing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
df1

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The Bush administration wants to increase the drug testing of students that participate in extracuricular activities, however some parents object. These parents feel that this approach is heavy handed and that education dollars should be spent on education rather than student surveillance programs. The white house has earmarked 15 million dollars for these programs in the next fiscal year. Currently 600 school districts out of 15,000 perform this type of drug testing.

today.reuters.com
Student athletes, musicians and others who participate in after school activities could increasingly be subject to random drug testing under a program promoted by the Bush administration.

White House officials say drug testing is an effective way to keep students away from harmful substances like marijuana and crystal methamphetamine, and have held seminars across the country to promote the practice to local school officials.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The drug testing which the President wants is generally a bad idea as it reduces individuals to the status of livestock, as well as, socializing the students to become compliant government drones when they reach adulthood. No doubt the democrats also support the testing.

It appears that government has lost sight of the fact that civil servants are intented to serve the public rather than monitor and rule the public.

Related Links
www.counterpunch.org

[edit on 21-3-2006 by df1]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
they still think weed is bad for you? w/e lol

doesnt matter do me, i dont do afterschool activities lol j/p

really its not that big a deal i dont think, they really dont need to do drugs. they should just choose one or the other. its their decision so not our faults when they get caught.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Drugs are destroying the future of this nation. Drug use has become so widespread and the consequences so dire to not only the users, but to those who live, work, and play nearby. It is time that the nation began to deal with the problem aggressively. I have long had a negative attitude toward aggressive law enforcement that makes MDs reluctant to prescribe adequate pain medication or that creates an atmosphere of unnecessary mutual distrust in the community, but when it is all boiled down, the source of these other problems is drug abuse. Without it many of our problems would diminish dramatically--rampant crime, child abuse, highway mayhem, narcs, to name just a few.

This is just one example of how bad things have gotten.

www.thenewmexicochannel.com

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Increase drug testing for what???

So we can discover which kids like to attend school and maybe smoke a little reefer? Better expel them from school. Better yet, throw them in a
6 x 8 and let them rot! How dare kids experiment with drugs.

How bouts we spend that money to bust the people making meth and crack? Whadabout we worry about the people selling this to our kids, rather than seeking to incriminate kids for doing what kids do...experiment. Drug testing in a school is like criminal trials in jail. They show up for school...what more do you want?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

they still think weed is bad for you? w/e lol

I wouldn't be too sure about the weed, grimreaper. Evidence regarding the negative effects is growing.

Marijuana and Memory

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
so what, the damage is done, 90% of my generation could care less if america isolated itself from the world and fell apart into shambles. in the coming future we prove that we dont deserve it.

incentives mean everything. read the book Freakonomics. you will find that most kids are only doing it because they know its wrong. they know they can get in trouble and they know its not good. thats why they try it and start doing it.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grady Philpott
I have long had a negative attitude toward aggressive law enforcement that makes MDs reluctant to prescribe adequate pain medication or that creates an atmosphere of unnecessary mutual distrust in the community...

It's funny that you mention this because I just had it out with my doctor the other day about this very same matter. I told him I wanted the good stuff for the sharp lower back pain I was having and he told me that he didn't want to prescribe the narcotic medication because he thought I didn't need it, I was pissed. The thing that gets me is that the doctor has the control of how much you get. If he gives me two scrips of the good stuff and I come back wanting a third, then he can cut me off. It's all under his control so why not let me have the good stuff? I pay too much for medical insurance to have to put up with that effin' crap!

Peace

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Unfortunately, until the "illegal drugs-bad" / "alcohol tobacco-good" double standard is adressed, I see no legitimacy in any sanctimonious anti drug grand standing.

This must be adressed.

As long as alcohol and tobacco are legal cash cows, how can one remark of the hazards of drugs, especially marijuana, which MEDICAL DOCTORS admit can be a natural and beneficial medicine.

OUTRAGEOUS!

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Its a good thing they didnt test HIM back in the day.

What a hypocrite

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
What strikes me as a little odd, even after reading the article is they seem to be focused on the students who are involved in after school activities.

I'm sure there are a few or maybe alot of students who take band or play basketball, that probably do indulge sometimes in the other extracurricular activities, but on the average, isn't it usually that these students are usually to busy with theses activities to be involved in drug use.

This is not to say that kids that don't participate in these kind of programs are all pot heads, they probably do other stuff after school.

My kid is 17 and in band and drama with rehersals sometimes until 6:00 pm, when she finishes dinner and homework she's too tired to do anything else.

They haven't suggested anything like this in Canada and even if they tried I don't think it would be well recieved.

People should give some of the younger generation a break and have a little faith in their ability to make tough decisions without being forced to participate in something that may even have the ability to open a door that wasn't there before.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I agree with this statement:

"...parents feel that this approach is heavy handed and that education dollars should be spent on education rather than student surveillance programs."

Whatta thought.

I also think that clinical drug testing needs attention - before student surveillance.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
How about mandatory drug testing in the white house??? Instead of being a complete hipocrit the president ought to walk the walk instead of just flapping his gums... For a guy who claims to be a christian he sure does spew a lot of junk and doesn't follow up on any of it.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

so what, the damage is done, 90% of my generation could care less if america isolated itself from the world and fell apart into shambles. in the coming future we prove that we dont deserve it.

The future is yours. You may do with it as you wish. Some are dedicated to leaving a worthy legacy, but only the worthy will inherit it.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Hell you cannot even get a job theses days anywhere that pays good without a drug test first, why should schools be any different?

Smart move in the right direction, I think drug testing of students should be mandatory.

[edit on 3/21/2006 by shots]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I don't. I WILL RAISE MY KIDS, NOT THE GOVERNMENT! To start with, I more qualified to do it than they are. Are parents too lazy or busy to raise them themselves?

To quote a phrase, "You can have my kids when you pry them from my cold dead fingers." Hell, they just might need them for cannon fodder.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Hypocritical fascism. Individuals should be able to ingest what-soever they chose. By the way....Marijuana is a herb and it states in the bible, and other religious books that god created herbs for the use of man. I wonder if Bush thanks that part of the bible is not true....seeing that he talks to god and everything. I think Bush acts like he loves god..but actually only worships money and power. That's all I'm going to say about this stupid thing that only shows more proof that we live in a fading republic and we are moving closer and closer to a fascist state.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I don't. I WILL RAISE MY KIDS, NOT THE GOVERNMENT! To start with, I more qualified to do it than they are. Are parents too lazy or busy to raise them themselves?

Unfortunately not all parents feel as you do therefore we need mandatory drug testing in schools.

As sad as it is to say many parents are either drug users themselves or just do not give a darn. Just look at our prison system it is full of drug pushers, users, sellers and it makes me sick.

Something has to be done about it and what better way to stop the use of drugs then too nip them in the butt at an early age?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Sorry, don't mean to go on but does anybody not notice that the article seems to be focused on drug testing for the students who engage in after school activity. I stress this because it would seem that these kids having already made a decision by choosing activities after school, ( choir, band, sports, music, etc.) have already chosen a path that is not reflective of drug use.

It just seems a little strange to focus on kids that already have alternative outlets.

Although the article states mandatory testing for students, why are these particular groups of students being centered out instead of students who otherwise engage in no activities after school?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Try looking at the Dred Scott Decision, then tell me the Supreme Court has always ruled correctly regarding Constitutional issues. The Bill of Rights is what holds our country together.

The Fourth Amendment:

No Unreasonable Search and Seizure

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Comment: Random search and seizure is obviously not supported by probable cause, but only some actuarial probability concurrent as well with the larger population.

Marbury verses Madison 1803

Thus, the particular phraseology of the constitution of the United States confirms and strengthens the principle, supposed to be essential to all written constitutions, that a law repugnant to the constitution is void; and that courts, as well as other departments, are bound by that instrument.

The rule must be discharged.

Comment: There are considerable trends to simple trash the Constitution according to authoritarian "discretion." If there is such a drug problem, maybe a start would be to quit bringing them in on defense department airplanes, or maybe cut back a bit. Proof of this is to simply reason why the Taliban was more capable than the United States Government in reducing opium production. The simple reason why is the controlled aspects of the USG do not want to do so, and in fact go to any group of people on Wall Street and they are opposed to legalization or enforcement either case taking away the money of the dope dealers, because it would "crash the economy." Instead of taking care of these obvious things verified in numerous mainstream news articles, our government makes some special article of blame on the kids, and humiliates them. While insulting everyone's intelligence all the way around, they trample on our most sacred principles including the Bill of Rights. These are things our fighting men have died to secure, and recent government decisions have created the appearance that they have died in vain. This is all to cure someone's hellfire and damnation hatred and bigotry in exagerrating drug problems which are largely social eg. related to paranoia about the fact they are illegal. I do not support drug usage, but neither do I support irrational bigotry and social disorder supported by authoritarian goons.

Horse feathers for random drug testing, catch these kids fair and square with normal tools of law enforcement.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Actually, they've been drug testing student athletes for no less than twenty years and testing students in some private schools has been ongoing for no less than ten years. The way around the Fourth Amendment is to make participation in certain activities dependent on a voluntary participation in drug testing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join