It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insurgents Storm Iraqi Jail, 28 Killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Insurgents stormed a jail about dawn Tuesday in the Sunni Muslim heartland north of Baghdad, killing at least 17 policemen and a courthouse guard. Authorities said all 33 prisoners in the lockup were freed and 10 attackers were killed in the battle.
ADVERTISEMENT
Click Here

As many as 100 insurgent fighters — armed with automatic rifles and rocket-propelled grenades — stormed the judicial compound in Muqdadiyah, about 60 miles northeast of the capital. The assault began after the attackers fired a mortar round into the police and court complex, said police Brig. Ali al-Jabouri.

After torching the police station, the insurgents detonated a string of roadside bombs as they fled, taking the bodies of many of their dead comrades with them, police said. At least 13 policemen and civilians and 15 gunmen were wounded in the attack.

YAHOO

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It really amazes me how organized these insurgents are, it's like another Iraqi army. An Iraqi militia, maybe? 100 insurgents, somebody had to organize and led that. That is quite the command structure.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The Other Iraqi Army

Originally posted by curme
It really amazes me how organized these insurgents are, it's like another Iraqi army. An Iraqi militia, maybe? 100 insurgents, somebody had to organize and led that. That is quite the command structure.

Many of the insurgents are veterans of the former Iraqi military under Saddam.

Also, Al Qaeda claims to be providing support to the insurgency, and is probably helping to funnel money and supplies from donors in other countries.

And various officials in the U.S. have suggested with various degrees of stridency that some of Iraq's neighbors, including Syria and Iran, are also providing support to the insurgency.

So really, it's more of a proxy war than just a bunch of disgruntled partisans running around.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Just another reason why US is fighting a second Nam, and why it should not attack Iran.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Agreed. And something else that amazes me is the funding that these guys have. I was reading the other day that al Qaeda gave $600K to some group or another. They have the generosity of a lot of deep pockets, it seems.

We should have such support for our cause!

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It doesnt surprise me that they are organized. The insurgents are by no means stupid. As majic pointed out, some are former members of the Iraqi Army under Saddaam. I'm sure some of the insurgents are even active in the Iraqi security forces now, as I am sure its been infiltrated. Its not too far fetched to believe is it? The problem with controlling an insurgency, especially with the risk of sectarian violence and civil war, is that using the domestic security forces can tip that off, especially if you get Shias raiding Sunni areas. And with a majority of Iraq's population being Shia, and the Sunnis, who were in control before Saddaam was taken out of power feeling bitter about losing it, the country is easily riled into a frenzy. I'm not saying there will or wont be civil war, but I am saying that even if we put Iraqi security forces in the lead, we risk of more sectarian violence being created. Its a volitile situation. I'm no expert, and I'm sure those that are can figure a solution to this, theres always someone who is thinking of solutions to these problems.

The only similiarity I see with Vietnam is that the military has its hands tied, though in this kind of war, thats what you want, as most of the fighting is taking place in urban environments. Caution must be taken and more strict rules of engagement are necessary to hurt the insurgency where it counts, in recruiting. I believe that this is one war where we can win the "hearts and minds" as it was said in Nam.

top topics

join