It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tinwiki?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I don't know about anybody else, but I find the name of the project a bit insulting, I mean why not just call it Conspiracynutwiki or Paranoidia? It would have the same effect of demeaning it's contributors. Why in the world would I want to contribute to something that is exemplified by tinfoil hats? I'm not trying to be disruptive or a stick in the mud here, but seriously I find the tinfoil hats to be a very negative connotation, and a gross generalization of a broad and legitimate field of research. Who the hell is going to take anything we say seriously when our 'mascot' is a tinfoil hat for crying out loud? Is that the point? Intelligence Agencies call them stop words, words like UFO, or Aliens, Conspiracy, and they call them stop words because the moment someone hears them, they stop listening. People come to ATS to share and or debate information, information that has been collected with great effort in some cases, and I hardly think taking that work and cramming it into some kind of tinfoil genre is going to be anything but counterproductive to the causes which bring us to these forums. Deny Ignorance, but Perpetuate Stereotypes?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
My 2-cents - all I got left thx to the FED

Not only does the name raise a red flag, (funny when we already know about the NWO not being made of any tinfoil) but to add insult to injury they can use this 'tinwiki' as a method to have important research discredited, as mere "quackery". Akin to the way in which Nicola Tesla was used by J.P Morgan and company, yet only so much as to have all his hard work reverse engineered and Nicola booted with no pay. Or like the researcher who is hired to investigate a matter, only to discover afterwards that he just handed over all his important research to those who will now have it all classified, or discredited.

Thank you and no-thank you.

[edit on 21-3-2006 by markusjharper]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Not everyone is going to agree or like everything that is ever done, and you're definitely entitled to your opinion, but personally I have no problem with the term tinwiki.

I guess I don't take myself as seriously as some of you do because I don't find the tinfoil reference to be insulting at all. Actually most of the really conspiracy minded people use the tinfoil reference as sort of an inside joke among themselves.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm an idiot.

[edit on 3-21-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
I don't know about anybody else, but I find the name of the project a bit insulting, I mean why not just call it Conspiracynutwiki or Paranoidia?

Strangely enough, those were our second and third choices.

Why in the world would I want to contribute to something that is exemplified by tinfoil hats?

Tinfoil hats were chosen because it's something that is synonymous with most conspiracy theories. A UFO would lead people to belive the focus is on that. A Bigfoot would lead people to believe the focus is on that. Tinfoil hats is generic.

I'm not trying to be disruptive or a stick in the mud here, but seriously I find the tinfoil hats to be a very negative connotation, and a gross generalization of a broad and legitimate field of research. Who the hell is going to take anything we say seriously when our 'mascot' is a tinfoil hat for crying out loud? Is that the point? Intelligence Agencies call them stop words, words like UFO, or Aliens, Conspiracy, and they call them stop words because the moment someone hears them, they stop listening. People come to ATS to share and or debate information, information that has been collected with great effort in some cases, and I hardly think taking that work and cramming it into some kind of tinfoil genre is going to be anything but counterproductive to the causes which bring us to these forums. Deny Ignorance, but Perpetuate Stereotypes?

Who is the target audience of both ATS and TinWiki? The average Joe Schmo or who we already have as members?

Originally posted by Valhall
I'm an idiot.

No, you're not! Be positive!

[edit on 3/21/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Who the hell is going to take anything we say seriously when our 'mascot' is a tinfoil hat for crying out loud?

Why do you think they asked someone named "William One Sac" to run the project?

Seriously now, I agree with what worldwatcher said. My first reaction was a more light-hearted one when I heard the term, TinWiki." Although you are not the first person to express this concern, my personal opinion is that the tinfoil reference is not meant to malign in any way.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
oooohhhh

W-I-K-I not Tiki...

damn... what I do with all these masks now?

external image

Mod Note: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/22/2006 by Majic]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
A Crinkly Silver Badge Of Honor

I like it.

Anyone who's been on the "fringe" for any period of time (I've been a "kook" since the '80s) has been accused of being paranoid in some form or another -- and probably all of them.

At first, it bothered me that people would roll their eyes when I talked "crazy talk", but over time, I've come to see things differently.

I realized that what people were really ridiculing me for was thinking differently.

That's what the tinfoil hat ultimately symbolizes.

It's common for members of oppressed minorities like ourselves to take the epithets we're labeled with and use them against those who oppress us.

So it is with the humble tinfoil hat.

That's why I wear mine with pride.

* And with special fluoride-free zero-point energy neural enhancements courtesy of the suppressed research of Nikola Tesla.

Lysergic: I'm sure you'll think of something you can use those tiki masks for. And that's what worries me.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
What about the name twitchy? That conjures up some not so complimentary images. I think Tinwiki is a hilarious, apropos, and catchy name. A little self-effacing humor sometimes goes along way toward building cooperative movements.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   
(kalki finds the tiki masks amusing)

No seriously it's a good idea but people would have to participate a bit more

(Mod edit: It's kind of a big picture.
)

[edit on 3/22/2006 by Majic]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
oh #e true there's mods 24/24 here

but back to the subject , hope this one is not to big

I don't know about anybody else, but I find the name of the project a bit insulting, I mean why not just call it Conspiracynutwiki or Paranoidia? It would have the same effect of demeaning it's contributors. Why in the world would I want to contribute to something that is exemplified by tinfoil hats? I'm not trying to be disruptive or a stick in the mud here, but seriously I find the tinfoil hats to be a very negative connotation, and a gross generalization of a broad and legitimate field of research. Who the hell is going to take anything we say seriously when our 'mascot' is a tinfoil hat for crying out loud? Is that the point? Intelligence Agencies call them stop words, words like UFO, or Aliens, Conspiracy, and they call them stop words because the moment someone hears them, they stop listening. People come to ATS to share and or debate information, information that has been collected with great effort in some cases, and I hardly think taking that work and cramming it into some kind of tinfoil genre is going to be anything but counterproductive to the causes which bring us to these forums. Deny Ignorance, but Perpetuate Stereotypes?

Personnally i have nothing against tinfoil hats.. i should build one actually with all with all the magnetic fields and frequencies around trying to control our minds. Or even maybe one like this guy got.

edit : because you edited my post like a second after i sent my post ..anyways i'm off to bed .. but i guess it's internationnal here because your date is 22nd and mine 21st

[edit on 22-3-2006 by kalki]

posted on 21-3-2006 at 08:55 PM

it's a chance i'm in the board questions.. posts and edits don't have the same clock? i edited 30 seconds after i posted it

posted on 21-3-2006 at 08:55 PM

[edit on 22-3-2006 by kalki]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
A Brief Time Of History

Originally posted by kalki
edit : because you edited my post like a second after i sent my post ..anyways i'm off to bed .. but i guess it's internationnal here because your date is 22nd and mine 21st
[...]
it's a chance i'm in the board questions.. posts and edits don't have the same clock? i edited 30 seconds after i posted it

I'm not sure about that myself. I know there has been some wonkiness with some of the date/timestamping, and that SkepticOverlord is aware of it.

But as for the details, we're in the same boat trying to figure that out.

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the cutting-edge quantum singularity processor cores SO installed in the servers recently.

Or was that tomorrow...

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
interesting, twitchy.

what i found equally amusing was i thought i'd give it a whirl. there was no entry for 'conspiracy theory' so i put one in, and i intentionally 'spun' it in favour of the pure definition, ie. people who investigate conpiracies. i used the two reporters who uncovered watergate as an example of 'conspiracy theorists' who actually uncovered a real conspiracy.

the next day, it had been edited MULTIPLE TIMES, and now spins the term as 'tinfoil hat wearing kook stuff', and my entry was not on the list of modifications.

conspiracy? you theorise, lol!

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think Tinwiki is a hilarious, apropos, and catchy name.

I second that, GradyPhilpott, and would like to add that it is poetic and also easy to remember for those non-members out there who may drift upon it while surfing the net.

Also, as long as I've been aware of the UFO community (years before I first saw ATS), the tinfoil hat has been its marker, bringing with it a little comedic 'deniability' to anyone immersing themselves into that contentious arena.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Editor To The Letter

Originally posted by billybob
the next day, it had been edited MULTIPLE TIMES, and now spins the term as 'tinfoil hat wearing kook stuff', and my entry was not on the list of modifications.

Ahhh, but the question is: who made the edits?

Follow the tinfoil...

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Who the hell is going to take anything we say seriously when our 'mascot' is a tinfoil hat for crying out loud?

Originally posted by William One Sac
Why do you think they asked someone named "William One Sac" to run the project?

...because you have one-sac, filled with TinFoil hats?

It's a nice idea, a good one in fact. However, I do worry to what level of information could be included and will be included. Also the rate of growth and who writes on it. However, I am sure William will pick the best people to write it, those who'll have the lowest level of bias to their own agenda.

All in all, it could be a great souce-based, feature on the basics of conspiracy theories and also a good place for new members. If you desire to learn about the N.W.O. they can go directly to the TinWiki website instead of more threads being created about nothing new and taking up more of the websites space. :-)

All in all, under the right management any problems can be over-come and after speaking to William on the odd-occasion, he is the most definetly the right man for the job. One who'll make sure everything comes off well. :-)

new topics

top topics

join