It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former CIA: 'US could wipe out Iran nukes in 2 days'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   

The main building of Iran's Bushehr nuclear power plant in Bushehr, southwest of Tehran
Photo: AP [File]

Link To Story

By YIGAL GRAYEFF
Jerusalem Post

Gary Berntsen, the former senior CIA operative who led the search for Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan in late 2001, believes the United States has the ability to easily destroy Iran's nuclear facilities. He said the US could use bunker-buster bombs and other weapons to carry out the operation.

"We can take care of it in a couple of days with air strikes and they wouldn't be able to stop us," he added. "It wouldn't be difficult to plan. They'd be some dangers but I think the United States can do it." Berntsen, who left the CIA in June last year after more than 20 years of service, believes it will be difficult to persuade Iran to stop its nuclear program.

"I know the Iranians. I've worked against the Iranians for years. They are determined to get this no matter what, and they will lie and cheat and do whatever they have to do to get themselves a weapon," he said.

Please Visit Above Link For Complete Story

Well, I suppose to the doubters that the US COULD take out their facilities, here is a little sobering news, straight from a former senior CIA operative. But really has there ever been any doubt the US could? Certainly not in my mind.

But my biggest issue is if the US has to use tactical nukes to do it. The radiation generated from such nukes would be devastating to the area, at least so says the FAS, who has recommended that if it has to be done, that it be done with conventional weapons. If and when this happens, will Bush listen and make the right move? And what about Israel? If they do it, will they have the nerve to use tactical nukes?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Am I suprised? Nope, we could level anything if we set our minds to it.

Do I support it? Nah.

My take is let Iran rattle its sabers for attention as long as it wants. By actively trying to stop them you give them an out with there own people.

"Things are bad in Iran because the Great Satan wants to stop our nation from growing." - Mullahs in Iran

Not a real quote but basically a synopsis of what messing with Iran does for Iranian leadership.

I say let the Iranians do as they please and let the Israelis solve the problem and then suppor the Israelies in the aftermath.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I say if they are confident it can be done from the air alone, do it.....

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

I say let the Iranians do as they please and let the Israelis solve the problem and then suppor the Israelies in the aftermath.

I agree with you
It would be harder and more involved then "Operation Opera" for Israel though. Iran learned the lessons of Osirak reactor well and scattered their nuclear sites and built some "harden" sites. I would say Israel could do it , Perhaps even alittle covert US help wouldnt hurt.

What did Israel's military chief of staff Lt.-Gen. Dan Halutz say when asked Asked how far Israel was ready to go to stop Iran's nuclear project by the press?

Of yes he said about "2,000 kilometers." ( the approximate flying distance between Israel and key Iranian nuclear sites)

A nuclear Iran is a much bigger threat to Israel then the US, they wont allow it.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Listen, these people do not want a 2 day war. How many 2 day wars have there been in the history of the United States? They will force the issue somehow and it will be another long bloody war.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaCodeMonkey
Listen, these people do not want a 2 day war. How many 2 day wars have there been in the history of the United States? They will force the issue somehow and it will be another long bloody war.

Nah, I really don't believe that. All the evidence so far points to limited strikes and no intent of invasion or protracted long war... But that said, depending on how Iran responded, it could well turn into that. And worse, if China or Russia got involved. Notice who the two countries are that just again, stalled the UN statement to Iran based upon its wording as "too harsh." China and Russia. They both have very big vested interests in Iran, so for them it is a double edged sword, with no easy wording.

Russia, backed by China, said to still object to UN Iran statement

by Evelyn Leopold and Irwin Arieff

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Russia, backed by China, blocked agreement on Monday on a U.N. Security Council statement aimed at quashing Iran's nuclear ambitions despite a ministerial meeting on Tehran's atomic programs, diplomats reported.

Senior foreign affairs officials from Germany and the five veto-holding Security Council members -- the United States, Britain, France, Russia and China -- met for more than four hours to discuss strategy on how to handle Iran.

Their U.N. ambassadors joined them for talks on a draft statement the Security Council has been unable to issue for nearly two weeks telling Iran to stop uranium-enrichment efforts the West believes are a cover for bomb making.

[edit on 21-3-2006 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Any attack will result in Iran counter attacking...

Here is a clever look at how i believe the scenario will pan out..

judicial-inc.biz...

For those who believe that Iran will casually take the destruction of their beloved nucleur facilities...I think your horribly mistaken.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by kojac
Here is a clever look at how i believe the scenario will pan out..

judicial-inc.biz...

Irsael taking out a US aircraft carrier and blaming it on Iran ??? Thats alittle far fetched, and thats the basis for this whole scenario.

It also leaves out the fact that this could be seen as a unprovoked attack on NATO by Iran if it was real or hoaxed by Israel. You cant attack a NATO member because of something Israel did it does not work that way. Then its NATO vs Iran and Iran loses big time.

Its a nice bed time story though with its own music to boot

[edit on 21-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Irsael taking out a US aircraft carrier and blaming it on Iran ??? Thats alittle far fetched, and thats the basis for this whole scenario.

Agreed, but I wouldn't put it past the devious powers that be.

And also, what makes you think kojac that the 5th fleet will be anywhere near that place when the missiles start to fly? Surely they'd move out of range first, no?

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

The main building of Iran's Bushehr nuclear power plant in Bushehr, southwest of Tehran
Photo: AP [File]

"Gary Berntsen, the former senior CIA operative who led the search for Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan in late 2001, believes the United States has the ability to easily destroy Iran's nuclear facilities."

[edit on 26-3-2006 by lkwalk]

Well since he did such a great job hunting down Osama, I guess we ought to listen to him.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
My take is let Iran rattle its sabers for attention as long as it wants. By actively trying to stop them you give them an out with there own people.

I agree with you, but only up to a point.

There has to be a line, and when they cross that line, it's time to act.

Iran can't be allowed to develope nuclear weapons. It's just something the US can't afford to let happen on many, many different levels. There has to a defined point at which all bets are off, and we do what we need to do...

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
if you guys can do it than why dont you? if it takes to destroy iran 2 days or the nuclear facilities do it now because talk is cheap

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran
if you guys can do it than why dont you? if it takes to destroy iran 2 days or the nuclear facilities do it now because talk is cheap

I really don't think members of ATS are able to make that call. I may be wrong though. I've only been a mod for a week now and I haven't seen any buttons that say, "Launch attack against Iran."

I'll check with the admin though and get back with you. I may just be overlooking it.

Wupy

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I think if it's gonna happen, Mar 29th would be ideal as the eclipse would allow some advantage to an aggressor moving ESE toward Iran. The shadow sweep duration is about right for either missile or attack aircraft.

Let's hope that if it happens the exchange is non-nuke because I believe there may be more than one player in the Middle-East with N-devices and delivery capability. If Isreal or America uses nukes then they deserve whatever ill they'll cause themselves as a backlash. The situation would be unpredictable and could threaten the start of a global economic depression.

If the Iranians are bound and determined to upset everyone on the planet but themselves with this issue then it may be prudent to excise their capabilities using a conventional-weapons-only strike. The sooner the better and I don't care what nation is the tip-of-the-spear.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

I really don't think members of ATS are able to make that call. I may be wrong though. I've only been a mod for a week now and I haven't seen any buttons that say, "Launch attack against Iran."

I'll check with the admin though and get back with you. I may just be overlooking it.

Wupy

congratulations on the promotion of becomg a mod, good luck with it. my response was to "YIGAL GRAYEFF" and those people who said an air strike for 2 days will be succesfull and is possible.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

congratulations on the promotion of becomg a mod, good luck with it. my response was to "YIGAL GRAYEFF" and those people who said an air strike for 2 days will be succesfull and is possible.

I hope it doesn't come to this. I'm a peaceful old man and would love it if the world would just settle down and we could all talk it out like civilized human beings.

I'm beginning to believe there is no such thing as civilized human beings though.

I pray for your country Mehran, I pray for my country as well. Perhaps someday we will all know peace.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
it was posted on above top secret by a military man that the US army is in a high state of alert and war preparations are made at ALL US basess throughout the world..
In 24th ,it was stated elsewhere on godlike productions that the IDF(Israeli military,or Tzal) is in a high state of alertness since 24th and will reach 26th the highest and will remain on alert until 28th(election day)
The UK military is also on a high state of alert and numerous visits have been paid to Australia by various NWO officials.
So any attack by these 3 powers will occur by 27-28th.As in 1983,the bombing of Osiriak in Iraq,2 days before the elections.
Also the attack window will close on April 4th or 5th.
It may be a 2-day war,after all,if all strategists in the White House are so narrow-minded to not take Persian history into consideration.
Definitely,at the end of the day,it will be a defeat for US,not a victory for Iran.
You undersand what I mean...having your country bombed is not my flavour of victory.
But US may claim a win "a la Pyrus" after all....

top topics

join