It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible "Mean Gene" discovered.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Scientists have discovered a gene that may increase the risk for impulsive behavior and violence, most particularly within the nale half of the human species.

Scientists have identified a gene that may increase the risk for impulsivity and violence, particularly in men.
The new study adds fuel to the debate over whether nature or nurture is to blame for criminal and disagreeable behavior.

Researchers tested 142 healthy volunteers, free from psychiatric or neurological illnesses as well as drug or alcohol abuse, for the presence of a variation of the gene that produces low amounts of monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A)—a substance that previous studies have associated with impulsive violence.

People have one of two versions for this gene—MAOA-L, which produces low levels of MAO-A, and the high level version, MAOA-H.

The researchers also imaged each volunteer’s brain activity during a series of tasks, including responding to facial expressions and emotional scenes.

LiveScience.com

Well, this is'nt a development that's very surprising to me.
Lots of genetic research going on, coming out with lots of new discoveries.

As I think about this though, developments like this could lead to small and large scale genetic profiling, not only by companies, but also by governing powers.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
yeah genetic experiments are sometime scary, i'm sure some are already in mental institutes due to behavioral genetics experemental tests in ''order'' to control human behaviors. I'll post it on ATS. The article mentioned the 142 tested are'nt violent today , but who knows what will happen later on
lsd is passe, got some genes ?
Btw i know someone that unfortunately went a bit into secret experimental medicine and i'm affraid she's radioactive something today... anyways interesting link

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yep, genetic research can lead to bad things.

However, I support this kind of research.

[edit on 3/20/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
well good for you iori, remember this when you get sick

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What I'm saying, is that I support this kind of research, I support the gaining of knowledge, what I however disaprove of is using people like guinea pigs and discrimination based on genetic profiling.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Yeah Medecine is evil!

Now let me just get my mojo rain stick and banish the demons who made you ill, don't worry I'm a professional...

-adhdsux4me

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
As I think about this though, developments like this could lead to small and large scale genetic profiling, not only by companies, but also by governing powers.

Comments, Opinions?

As a transhumanist myself I support this kind of research. It's funny when I think about it. I support the idea of creating an ideal "vessel" for the mind yet in doing so I think genetic descrimination is inevitable, i.e finding a "mean gene" for example.

Kinda sad really. I don't descriminate against obese people yet I would most likely descriminate against the "fat gene". That prolly wasn't a good example.

Taking it to an extreme, what if our future transhuman (posthuman?) society decides to descriminate against the "gay gene" or "arab skin color gene" or "spiritual gene"? What if future corporations review your genetic make-up in place of a resume? What if this gene therapy is enforced by the government to be done on embryos?

Ever seen the movie Gatica I.K? I think genetic profiling will eventually be used by government/corporations.

[edit on 033131p://24u31 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I have proof that there is a Mean Gene!! Scary stuff, have a look!!

Nobody panic!!

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
What I'm saying, is that I support this kind of research, I support the gaining of knowledge, what I however disaprove of is using people like guinea pigs and discrimination based on genetic profiling.

so what you got in mind , guinea pigs?, monkeys? it's gotta be on humans as your in favor of a genetic research progress for the human benefit. I say those who supports it get tested

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   
i started a vote thread a while back on this subject - www.abovetopsecret.com...'

i figured it wouldnt be long before they found a gene or something which shows how certain people are just born violent people, but wondered what people would decide to do about it when that happened.

your first thought really ought to be to cure everyone and get rid of violence forever, but once you start to look at it from many angles, you can see that that is NEVER going to happen.

i expect the military will be taking a very close look at this research

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalki
so what you got in mind , guinea pigs?, monkeys? it's gotta be on humans as your in favor of a genetic research progress for the human benefit. I say those who supports it get tested

I support it and I volunteer

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The intellectual laziness in this kind of reporting totally infuriates me.

The researchers did not find a gene - they found a mutation, probably a point mutation.

IMO - we need to identify what's causing the mutations before we run off half-cocked profiling potential carriers and creating any master lists.

new topics

top topics

join