It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lethal Virus from 1918 Genetically Reconstructed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
US Army scientists create "Spanish Flu" virus in laboratory - medical benefit questionable

(Austin and Hamburg, 9 October 2003) � The 'Spanish Flu' influenza virus that killed 20-40 million people in 1918 is currently under reconstruction. Several genes of the extraordinarily lethal 1918 flu virus have been isolated and introduced into contemporary flu strains. These proved to be lethal for mice, while virus constructs with genes from a current flu virus types had hardly any effect. These experiments may easily be abused for military purposes, but provide little benefit from a medical or public health point of view.

The 1918 Spanish Flu was highly infectious and � in comparison to contemporary flu viruses � killed a very high percentage of those infected, including many younger people. The Spanish Flu alone caused the medium life expectancy in the US in 1918 to drop by 10 years. Hence, flu viruses are perceived today as a serious biological warfare threat. Just two weeks ago, a 15 million dollar research grant was awarded in the US to develop protective measures especially against a bioterrorist attack with flu viruses.

Here is the rest of the story:
www.sunshine-project.org...

Note: To Read The article go to the bottom right hand side under the Recent News menu.

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 12:44 AM
link   
That is illegal, sick and very dangerous..

US is making 'world safer place' by removing Saddam,

Yet US itself #s around with this dangerous #..

Burn the lab, kill the scientists..

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Yeah this is were the hypocrisy comes in. The current administration likes to talk about WMD this and WMD that yet they have a very healthy biological WMD program. The sick twisted bastards.

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Here is a more direct link to the same article.

www.sunshine-project.org...

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The Us and thier damn hypocrasy. I really REALLY hate that.

And no country has the guts to say anything about it in the UN or to the US. It's a real shame.

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I dont like viruses.. they are too evil for me.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that article.
Last I heard virologists had no idea about the protein makeup of the virus. The article itself, though, it very vague on what the makeup is, for instance what strain of influenza it may be, whether it's composed of pure avian genes, or what part is avian, and which part human, etc.

Oh well, I'll search around.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Russia and China are doing the same thing so why not the USA, Russia an China are up to something building more weps etc etc an more nuke bunkers....

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I have read a few articles that stated this was a pre-emptive attempt at trying to have a vaccine incase something like this was ever used as a weapon.

My take is that it is complete BS. I figure the govt of the US sees it as "they have boi/chem weapons, we better get some too". Sad state of affairs this world we live in.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Reconstructing virus is like walking through a mine field blind. If the virus ever gets out, its gonna be lethal and alot of people will die.

US are playing a dangerous game.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   
problem is, they don't have any idea where the virus came from, and what made It so devestating.
It was a freak occurance.
and i'm sure they do not want it breaking out.
this is just the tip of the iceberg folks,
virili science is not a pleasent thing for most of us to think about, but it is necessary.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAlreadyPsycho
My take is that it is complete BS........

I agree with you there. I hate all this bio-weapons BS. Nukes are bad enough, but this stuff terrifies me

top topics

join