It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano-technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
For the past few months, I have research nano-tech and what awaits us. I find it exciting and weird at the same time. I would like to know what others have to say about this tech.

-prometheus3

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The microwave was thought to be magik. Imagine a box that will actually build whaterver you need? Anything from a watch to food, and thats just the begining.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I've already done 3 School Reports on Nanotechnology... One that I was planning to post on here, and never got around to doing... maybe I could do it as a PodCast which would be quicker. Anyways, all 3 reports wer 6+ pages, and all had nearly completely different info. I love Nanotech and wish to pursue it as a career as I enter college, but I'm not really sure what training I'd need, andI'm not sure if I could have the patience or brain capacity to retain all that knowledge.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
I've already done 3 School Reports on Nanotechnology... One that I was planning to post on here, and never got around to doing... maybe I could do it as a PodCast which would be quicker. Anyways, all 3 reports wer 6+ pages, and all had nearly completely different info. I love Nanotech and wish to pursue it as a career as I enter college, but I'm not really sure what training I'd need, andI'm not sure if I could have the patience or brain capacity to retain all that knowledge.

I help teach a Nanotechnology course at a university. Most universities don't have Nanotechnology as a specific major, but there's many areas that involve Nanotechnology. For example, you could enroll as a physics major and go to graduate school for Solid States as I am, some even have Nanotechnology but mostly that's if you were a Chemical Engineering/materials undergrad.

Nanotechnology is just such a huge field, no one can retain the knowledge. As an undergraduate I did research in Nanotechnology and have a couple publications in the Journal of Chemical Education. Truthfully, if you enjoy Nanotechnology and go to a small university, you should be able to get into research with professors.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
What I love personally about nano-tech, is the medical sides of things and where they are heading. It's pretty cool imho...

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I have a problem with nano-tech. A BIG problem.

Where is it? I've heard for a few years now how we were going to be dazzled by new technologies coming to the market and the super fast speeds our processors, RAM, and HDDs are going to achieve, as well as their capacities.

So where are they? If you don't have a product, you have nothing. I know, I know, this stuff takes time. But how much? Do you think funding for these projects will continue to say.... 2009? How long will funding continue for a project with no final product?

I don't really care where it's going. If it isn't here, it isn't anything.

The idea of nano-tech hit the mainstream in what???? 2000? Ok, here we are 6 years later and not a single device on the market that boast 'NANO TECHNOLOGY INSIDE.'

That's crap.

I've personally been to a research facility on nanotechnolgy. I know that it takes forever, it is easily breakable, it is extremely costly, hard to reproduce, and has few positive results.

Yes, yes, yes... there are a number of areas of life that could be improved by nano-tech, but if these people don't put something out soon, the market and funding for this stuff will cease and no one will ever get anything out of it.

It is time researchers step up and get something to the consumer's hands.

END RANT.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lecter
The microwave was thought to be magik. Imagine a box that will actually build whaterver you need? Anything from a watch to food, and thats just the begining.

when this happens the only thing that will have value will be information.....

[edit on 21-3-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Protector
I have a problem with nano-tech. A BIG problem.

Where is it? I've heard for a few years now how we were going to be dazzled by new technologies coming to the market and the super fast speeds our processors, RAM, and HDDs are going to achieve, as well as their capacities.

So where are they? If you don't have a product, you have nothing. I know, I know, this stuff takes time. But how much? Do you think funding for these projects will continue to say.... 2009? How long will funding continue for a project with no final product?

I don't really care where it's going. If it isn't here, it isn't anything.

The idea of nano-tech hit the mainstream in what???? 2000? Ok, here we are 6 years later and not a single device on the market that boast 'NANO TECHNOLOGY INSIDE.'

That's crap.

I've personally been to a research facility on nanotechnolgy. I know that it takes forever, it is easily breakable, it is extremely costly, hard to reproduce, and has few positive results.

Yes, yes, yes... there are a number of areas of life that could be improved by nano-tech, but if these people don't put something out soon, the market and funding for this stuff will cease and no one will ever get anything out of it.

It is time researchers step up and get something to the consumer's hands.

END RANT.

I suggest you don't use the word nanotechnology like it's a small field. Nanotechnology is an absolutely massive field and there's so many industrial benefits that it's truly amazing. Just look it up.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prometheus3
For the past few months, I have research nano-tech and what awaits us. I find it exciting and weird at the same time. I would like to know what others have to say about this tech.

-prometheus3

Do you know what NBIC, nanotechnology istelf means?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Originally posted by Prometheus3

-prometheus3

Do you know what NBIC, nanotechnology istelf means?

The convergence of nanoscience, biotechnology, information technology and cognitive science ("NBIC") offers immense opportunities for the improvement of human abilities, social outcomes, the nation's productivity and its quality of life; it also represents a major new frontier in research and development. This conclusion was reached at a December 2001 workshop held by the National Science Foundation and the Department of Commerce at which leading experts from government, the academic research community and the private sector explored the nature and size of the potential opportunities in NBIC convergence. The report that resulted from this workshop, asserting that NBIC convergence is "a broad, cross-cutting, emerging and timely opportunity of interest to individuals, society and humanity in the long term," recommended that an R&D initiative focusing on enhancing human performance (while governed by respect for human welfare and dignity) should become a national priority.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Prometheus3]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
So what do you think about all of their "collective society" and "globalization" [joint in at last one instance] quotes in that document? There's always the sick side of technology and power, but rarely does the government express the actual goal of doing it. Sure is something considering this is the ultimate threat to liberty.

[edit on 14-4-2006 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Nanotechnology is a consumer scam. It really says 'Feed Me'. Researchers and Universities love the word becuase that is what it does; it feeds an appettite for research that probably has very little to do with nanotechnology.

I won't deny that consumer products in 20 years, may have some resemblence of an actual nanodevice, but all these biomedical device that researchers claim will cure cancer, clean you pancreas, restore your eye-sight...all wishfull thinking. I am still holding out for a working fusion plant before I die.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Nanotechnology is a consumer scam. It really says 'Feed Me'. Researchers and Universities love the word becuase that is what it does; it feeds an appettite for research that probably has very little to do with nanotechnology.

I won't deny that consumer products in 20 years, may have some resemblence of an actual nanodevice, but all these biomedical device that researchers claim will cure cancer, clean you pancreas, restore your eye-sight...all wishfull thinking. I am still holding out for a working fusion plant before I die.

I don't thik it's hype at all.
The technology is real and has real applications.

You mentioned Cancer and that's one application in which nano technology can be used for Cancer detection and treatment.

Forbes

TUESDAY, April 11 (HealthDay News) -- Super-small organic particles loaded with an anti-cancer drug attach themselves to prostate tumor cells and use the chemotherapy to destroy cancer, researchers report.

In experiments with mice, researchers used these custom design "nano-particles" to home in on, and then enter, malignant cells, delivering lethal doses of chemotherapy while leaving healthy cells unaffected.

Tumors shrank dramatically after this type of treatment, the researchers reported, and all of the treated mice survived.

It's also being used for things like improving hydrogen production, fog and dirt resistang glass, making waterproof clothing, etc...

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus

I help teach a Nanotechnology course at a university. Most universities don't have Nanotechnology as a specific major, but there's many areas that involve Nanotechnology. For example, you could enroll as a physics major and go to graduate school for Solid States as I am, some even have Nanotechnology but mostly that's if you were a Chemical Engineering/materials undergrad.

Nanotechnology is just such a huge field, no one can retain the knowledge. As an undergraduate I did research in Nanotechnology and have a couple publications in the Journal of Chemical Education. Truthfully, if you enjoy Nanotechnology and go to a small university, you should be able to get into research with professors.

Penn State has a great course:

www.cneu.psu.edu...

Nanobiotechnology:

www.cneu.psu.edu...

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I saw a Discovery channel show where they showed how the nano mchine would be modular and the pieces would snap together like lego blocks.

Starting at the atom they would build up to a laptop with thousands of processors, terabytes of mem, petabytes of storage.

top topics

join