It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First 2006 Debate Tournament

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I can be available.

Topics I will suggest:

The necessity of social science and political science class credits required upon graduation and the lack of science/math class credits required upon graduation (for some college diplomas).

Bioethicist: those who know biology and those who don't. Why should any of their opinions matter and be disected as critical thinking, with or without qualification?

Public Education System: Learning at the rate of the slowest student.

All these topics pertain to US.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Frosty......I like the Public Education suggestion.........

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
How about the Members and Moderators duke it out in the Members vs. Moderators classic?

Sounds like a good way for me to end up banned. I think I'll stick to the members. By lucky coincidence for all of us involved, some of the greats, including the reigning champ, have recently been promoted, so this one looks very up for grabs (and with so many new members, I don't even know which direction the big threats are coming from). Should be interesting- good luck all.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Im not really interested in debating myself, but if you need fair and objective judges I would be willing to offer my services. Sign me up

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
chissler

Zeratul

grimreaper797

xraided

apothecary85

bigdanprice

truttseeker

rdube02

MemoryShock

mrjenka

lucasman

ihatescifi

ConfederacyOfUnit

zenlover28

frosty

still available

I have replaced Memoryshock with Blackops as he is not able to compete, but willing to judge if possible.

1 Spot Remaining!

[edit on 22-3-2006 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Here's what we have so far.

1. chissler
  2. Zeratul
  3. grimreaper797
  4. xraided
  5. apothecary85
  6. bigdanprice
  7. truttseeker
  8. rdube02
  9. mrjenka
  10. zenlover28
  11. ihatescifi
  12. ConfederacyOfUnity
  13. MemoryShock
  14. Frosty
  15. lucasman
  16. The Vagabond

Vagabond confirmed that he wanted to participate as a debator.

lucasman
I'd like to get in on the debates. What exactly will the topics be for sure?

The topics get revealed as each debate starts, and remember that each person gets assigned their position, pro or con at that time also. Just to be clear, since there was a question, can you confirm that you are still in?

We can also take one or two people on standby.

We're definitly not going to be using standby's past the second round, if anyone's wondering. Anyone who's opponent drops or anything like that will just get a buy to the next round.

mrjenka
when does the tourney begin? Will we be notified by u2u or otherwise?

We look like we are on track to start monday the 27th. I'll send a mass-u2u to the debators to let y'all know when to start.
What you'll get is a link to a thread that I'll have created with an opening post. The debate goes ahead, with each person having 24 hours from the time that the last response was posted to respond. You can tell the time from the time stamp. But, of course, you don't have to wait that long, in fact I'd recommend against it, becuase if there are any problems and its at the end, you're sunk. At the end of the debate I will u2u our judges, and we will have to wait until we get a final decision. The thread then gets closed with a statement of the winner, and usually some comments. This can also be seen by looking at the debates that have occured already in the Debate Forum.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
chisslers confirmation.

Lets get it on.

Are first round debates selected randomly?

We have some stiff competition here.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
oh no I just need lucasman to confirm, everyone else is on the list. I just wanted him to confirm because there was a question the answer to which might've made a difference to him.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Ok sounds great.

Any time in particular on Monday everything will be posted for us to get at this? With the different time zones some of us may have to pay attention to this detail

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I will probably start everything an hour or so earlier than whatever the time stamp reads on my post now.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I cant wait to get started!
Its going to be lots and lots of fun!

There is some stiff competition!

For anyone that hasnt done it before, the best advice is write your posts in word first!
I have fallen fowl of that little one more than once!

Dan

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Count me in, let's see how well high school debate is gonna help me on here.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

We look like we are on track to start monday the 27th. I'll send a mass-u2u to the debators to let y'all know when to start.
What you'll get is a link to a thread that I'll have created with an opening post. The debate goes ahead, with each person having 24 hours from the time that the last response was posted to respond. You can tell the time from the time stamp. But, of course, you don't have to wait that long, in fact I'd recommend against it, becuase if there are any problems and its at the end, you're sunk

So after your initial post of the topic, and who is pro/con.. Pro post first?

And whomever is to post second, does he/she have 24 hours from the post of the pro?

I assume that is correct but better to be safe than sorry.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yup, the limit is 24 hours after the previous post. After that, the person can be kicked out of the tourny, sometimes we have simply forfeited that response, and the other poster makes their next statement.

Alright, so this is the list of debators for the First Debate Tournament of 2006!:

1. chissler
  2. Zeratul
  3. grimreaper797
  4. xraided
  5. apothecary85
  6. bigdanprice
  7. truttseeker
  8. rdube02
  9. mrjenka
  10. zenlover28
  11. ihatescifi
  12. ConfederacyOfUnity
  13. MemoryShock
  14. Frosty
  15. lucasman
  16. The Vagabond

Anyone that wants to be a backup can still post for that position. Otherwise, sorry to everyone that didn't make it, but keep an eye out for future Tournaments this year, wherein you will have to face the Champion of this Tournament!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Time for some jitterbug boogie.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Bring out the trash talk

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Why would I trash talk someone I already know I got beat?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Bring out the trash talk

I refuse....

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'll talk my trash after I reassure myself under fire. Never take anything for granted in these tournaments. Somebody will come out of nowhere and ruin it for you.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I'd like to wish everyone the best of luck in the debate tournament, they're an amazing amount of fun and I hope all of those involved enjoy them.

Edit: I'd really like to see the topics not so heavily ethnocentric, from a readers point of view. It'd be interesting to see many of our Western Members involved in topics that don't involve the United State's for a change. Could be a good learning experience for us all.

[edit on 22/3/2006 by Odium]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join