It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First 2006 Debate Tournament

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
....wow this is a really good debate....all of u are the best!

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Both opponents still doing well. I would put them neck and neck at the minute. Very strong cases put forward. This will be the textbook debate that all will refer to in future debates!!

Good luck guys!

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

I was up to 820 words when I was only 2/3 done. I just kept going back and condensing and rephrasing until I brought myself in at 799.

LOL...I agree. I managed to cut down to 795 this last post. Stephen King, in his book on writing, called revising killing his babies... LOL

Every good writer is "wordy" - being forced to chop down actually brings out the best in the writing - in my opinion anyway.

I'm pleased that things are staying on the high road and there are no low blows or personal attacks. Those always take away from a debate. Without them the debate remains strong and intellectual. I'm quite impressed with the high and hard swings. This is very enjoyable.

Your turn,
-Ry

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Sorry I didn't get a post in before bed time tonight guys. I'm staying up late to get it done though.

Met a girl today and time got away from me pretty quickly. Don't tell anybody about that though. If word ever got out that there was a heart somewhere beneath the metallic skull my reputation would be destroyed.

I hate to tell you this, but it wasn't even a tough call for me. Her body made it close enough. Throw in a Japanese accent and a nice smile, then realizing that she can actually keep up with me in conversation... sorry guys but I forgot all about ATS for a while. You never had a chance.

Anyway, I'm back to post my response.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Alright, we're still dang close but I think I may have managed to open a little cut this round.

Between you, me, the wall, and pretty much everyone else since this is a public forum... it was tough to stick to my outline. I wanted to skip the the continuation of disclosure examples and engage on secrecy, but I had that in mind for my last body post since its probably the strongest element, so I'm glad I was able to fight that urge and keep it back for next round.

If we can just keep this up for two more posts each, frankly I don't care if I lose. This is the kind of debate I was talking about wanting to make when I was lamenting my performance in the last round.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
great debate you guys, i took a real quick look when i had time. im glad i didnt win because i have been giving this no time. Ive been so busy with everything else and article writting that I wouldnt have been able to give this the attention it deserves.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Alright, we're still dang close but I think I may have managed to open a little cut this round.

huh? cut? what cut? Oh that - that was just a touch of ketchup from lunch. I'm doing fine - thanks.

If we can just keep this up for two more posts each, frankly I don't care if I lose. This is the kind of debate I was talking about wanting to make when I was lamenting my performance in the last round.

Yeah - agreed. Regardless of win or lose, this truly was an enjoyable debate. Hopefully it's enjoyable for others to read as well.

Oh...and hope your new squeeze doesn't distract you!

Yer Up!

-Ry

[edit on 28-4-2006 by rdube02]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Cut, ketchup stain... neither one really lends itself to a composed, serious image. Hope you've changed shirts. (and while you're changing, get a clean pair of shorts on hand for when the judges results come back- one of us or the other is sure gonna need 'em)

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Cut, ketchup stain... neither one really lends itself to a composed, serious image. Hope you've changed shirts. (and while you're changing, get a clean pair of shorts on hand for when the judges results come back- one of us or the other is sure gonna need 'em)

I've got about 10 screens going on at once with two computers, music in the background, snacks and drinks here and there, one little girl pulling at my arm to go and play outside, the other little girl singing her ABC's in the next room at the top of her lungs - and I'm having a blast. Who wants to be composed and serious? Life's too short.

-Ry

[edit on 28-4-2006 by rdube02]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
If only I still had the "fencing smilies" image to post. I'm loving this.

Only one exchange left to go. Nygdan, U2U the judges. Tell them to get a good breakfast and have plenty of coffee on hand tomorrow. They're gonna have to sift through all of this pretty soon and I don't envy them the task one little bit.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   

If only I still had the "fencing smilies" image to post. I'm loving this.

Only one exchange left to go. Nygdan, U2U the judges. Tell them to get a good breakfast and have plenty of coffee on hand tomorrow. They're gonna have to sift through all of this pretty soon and I don't envy them the task one little bit.

Thanks for the debate Vagabond. It is now in the judges hands. This entire debate, from the first to the last has been an amazing experience. There is much to learn from others in every debate, it's great to be able to take away so much from these exchanges. Thanks to everyone - Nygdan, judges and all competitors.

Best of luck to you Vagabond - enjoy your last post.

-Ry

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rdube02
Best of luck to you Vagabond - enjoy your last post.

-Ry

You make that sound sorta ominous. If youdon't mind me going back to Tombstone for a moment...

"It's somethin' around the eyes...
kinda reminds me of... me......

Yep, I'm sure of it, I hate him." -Doc Holiday about John Ringo

[edit on 28-4-2006 by The Vagabond]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
lmao "enjoy your last post" like its the last one he will ever make. HAHAHAHAHAHA owned.

Doc holiday pwns you all. even if the movie isnt based on fact...it doesnt have to because thats how good it is.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I've got one more Doc for ya if I win...
"This is funny..."

(I know, only a dyed in the wool Doc fan is gonna get that line. I'll explain if Reaper doesn't.)

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
We're off to the judges... and I'm pretty sure that I'm the first and will always be the only fighter to close in the way that I chose to... regarding the last sentence.

I figured that since Rdube so kindly immitated my style of closing (which resembles throwing a chainsaw at your opponent, his mom, and everything they each stand for) that I would return the favor by taking his advice that you can't always be serious.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
(edited to delete an ad hominem attack against Vagabond) LOL

Regarding immitation - your assumptions are completely incorrect. My writing is my style, not yours. It's quite an insult to any writer, to claim their style as your own.

Good luck anyway - may the best writer win.

-Ry

[edit on 29-4-2006 by rdube02]

[edit on 29-4-2006 by rdube02]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
i got it, but arent you suppose to lose when you say "this is funny...."? lol i mean come on you do remember what happened after he said that right?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Great debate vagabond and rdube. I expected nothing less.

Now we wait for the judges to give us their expert opinions.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Grim- No you can't say that if you lose because that would constitute dying with your boots on.

Rdube- no insult intended. If it's yours then it's yours and good on you for finding it. Seein as we were throwin 'bows there though, I can't say it was a heck of a lot more than the situation called for. Again though no serious affront was intended. Debate trash talk is show, not personal.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
ah yes your right, i was taking it in a different context lol

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join