It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Name Would You Give This Era of American History?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This is yet another question that I think about as I read the daily news. After all, this time in history isn't the "Era of Good Feeling" or "The Roaring Twenties". And we simply can't leave this era to just be the "War on Terror".

That is why I would like your response to how you guys think about this era of American history. How do you think historians in the future would think about this time? Do you think this is a good time in history? Are we really at the bottom? Or are we just in a turbulent time that is ready for change?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Actually "War on Terror" may indeed be the hallmark of this period in American and global history. Truely unfortunate, but very likely. It is not going to end anytime soon, my lifetime quite probably...and I am only 42.

Here is a thought: the era of Holding the Line, or The Rebirth of the American Century...because like it or not, America is the engine that makes the world go. That last sentence oughta make some people foam

I like your threads. As you may have noticed I think I've posted on everyone of them recently.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by seagull]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I would be more inclined to call this the "Fall of America"
There are a number of reasons that I say this. Things such as the
War on Terror,
The economy,
The loss of morals by the Average Joe as well as our "leaders"
The dumbing down of our educational system watch Jay Leno's Jaw Walking and you will see what I mean.
The loss of privacy and constitutional rights.
The attacks against various religions
There are so many reasons for this that I could probably write a book or even an encyclopedia listing the various failings that the US has undergone in just the last 30 years!

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally quoted by seagull
I like your threads. As you may have noticed I think I've posted on everyone of them recently.

Thank you very much for your compliment. It makes me feel good, especially after last night earning the distinction of being probably one of the only new members that has had a thread shut down.
But that is neither here nor there. It was done in good reason.

As an era of history, I would be tempted to say that this is the "Dark Ages" of American history. I would even have to agree with Kenshiro by saying that this might be the "Fall of America". But that reveals my cynical side about history which I try not to have.

Maybe this era in history might be called the "Age of Superpatriotism and Paranoia". Both phenomenons are occurring at the same time. It's not exactly a rebirth of "nationalism". But with all the propaganda floating around in the United States, I would say that the national leaders are encouraging both.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
How about the "Corporate Revolution"? Money controls America now, if not the rest of the world.

[edit on 3/23/2006 by Kruel]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
How about "the age of Insanity" or

"the era of Hypocrisy" or

"Decline of the Western World" or

"Mondo Cane"

"Eve of Destruction"

[edit on 23-3-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Maybe, whaaaa, I'll side with the "Era of Hypocrisy" because there seems to be a lot of that going around in all sectors of society. Maybe this is a time that we all have to take a good hard look at ourselves and figure out what we want to be as a country.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Here are my entries:

The Era of Pre-emption
The Unilateral Age
The "I'm not American, I'm Canadian" Era

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The "Age of Uncertainty"

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Tempo Negro Dos

The home bank of the Rubicon

La Historia Malo

The success of Fascism

IV for Vendetta

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
How do you think historians in the future would think about this time?

Future historians will look back on this as wartime, just like we look at the 30s and 40s as wartime. Its the "Terror Wars".

In terms of a wider span of time, this is still the Information Age.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Go to Third World status, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

In terms of a wider span of time, this is still the Information Age.

Speaking of which, how about 'The Google Age'?

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I would call it the end.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
To borrow a line from Jim Morrison, When the whole #house went up in flames. That of course is why I want to get my kicks now. If that's too long how about the "age of the burning #house"?

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Not a lot of optimism.....

The New Dark Ages

When weasels ruled the Earth

The Age of Deceit

Los Anos Apestoso

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hmm ... my entry would have to be "Rebirth of the American Empire". then in a few years it will be "Fall of the American Empire"....

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   
whaaa's "When Weasels Ruled the Earth", Bout Time's Tempo Negro Dos and Beachcoma's "I'm not American, I'm Canadian" Era made my day.

But in agreement with Beachcoma and Nygdan, something needs to be mentioned in terms of the digital infusion in our culture. "The Google Age" sounds really appropriate to me. After all, there was the "Television Age" and the "Golden Age of Film". But at the same time, technology always overlaps history in some way, shape or form. The Internet is an important part of our culture. So, that does deserve to be mentioned. Kruel's "Corporate Revolution" can fit somewhere in between.

But politically and socially, my view is somewhat bleaker--between Sir Solomon's "Fall of the American Empire" and djohnsto777's "The Age of Uncertainty".

Maybe it's the:

Age of "Fear and Loathing" in Washington D.C.
The Katrina Age
The Deconstruction of Reason
The Age of Pseudo-Politicians
The Neo-Gilded Age
The Diebold Deconstruction
The Death of Gonzo Journalism (along with the real death of Hunter S. Thompson)

[edit on 25-3-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'd also say that this is the age of Globalism. Globalism was getting off to a good start perhaps in the pre-world war years, but then had a big setback, but now that seems to have turned around. There doesn't seem like there is too much that would stop a global market and an increase in international trade for the foreseable future. ALso, insittuitons like the UN and inter-national organizations, whether regional or with a global scope, seem like they are just going to see an extension of power and influence.

So if we had an Age of Colonialism, perhaps this is the Age of Globalism, or the start of it anyways.

new topics

top topics

join