It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Million Little Pieces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I am just curious if there are any other ATS members that have read this book by James Frey. If so, I would like to hear your thoughts on the book. If not, I highly suggest it as a good read. I know there is currently some controversy about the books authenticity. But, even though that may be the case it is an extremely moving, thought provoking, deep read.

Here is a pretty good article with some more links you can follow if you are interested in the subject at hand. link

Basically, I'm just interested to see if any other ATS members enjoyed or are enjoying this book as much as I currently am. Once again, If you enjoy a good read, I would suggest finding yourself a copy of this one.

This persons thoughts pretty much sum up my own on the subject.

External Source
As a book, memoir or fiction, it's a fantastic read, and reads easy considering how it's written in fragments and stream of consciousness. The one thing that stuck with me, and probably will for a while, was his recounting of dental surgery sans anesthesia. link

~LS

[edit on 19-3-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I haven't read it, And I personally wouldn't waste my time.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I haven't read it, And I personally wouldn't waste my time.

Um... Care to elaborate?

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don't really enjoy reading peoples made up lives.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I don't really enjoy reading peoples made up lives.

That's a valid point many would agree with. It's just, well... I would highly suggest reading the book before you judge it. Even if some things have been proven to be exaggerated in the book. It is still a moving read. I think it is being argued now that Frey didn't intend for the book to be a non-fiction book. It was the publishers that pushed the book as non-fiction memoir/literature. You know, they thought it would sell better.

Ask yourself this... How would a guy that is so screwed up remember even half the things he does?

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Ugh, I happened to see this thread while browsing and know you are looking for a more positive discussion about the merits of this book you are enjoying, but I have got to tell you how I feel about it.

Frey speaks of truth and then completely steeps the truth in lies until the truth no longer matters. Now you may agree, 'the truth doesn't matter' only the redemptive nature of the story does...but I will tell you why that doesn't work... for me.

One might argue that the extent a tale of redemption and retribution resonates with the reader is it's only needed measure of merit...and I would usually agree...usually.

However, the problem I have with this book, is that the author and story are both heaped and steeped in BS to the point it negates the nature of redemption.

When one-as is the case with Mr. Frey here-mixes fact and fiction, and takes their own "true story" and feels the need to hype it up grotesquely to resonate with the readers, it then creates ugly obstacles for me to appreciate the work as a story of redemption.

What he is actually saying is there is no redemption, or none needed, or nothing outstanding about the struggles for the 'little man' the lesser man, the every day addict that hasn't been in rehab and wanted to bash a rock stars face in, or spent 3 months in jail, or had to live with such scars as being involved in a train wreck that killed two girls....blah blah blah...his BS is never ending...why can't a story of redemption be about the true nature of our human spirit to overcome emotional wounds, scars, and substance addiction in life without all the BS fluff?

He is in such a work, to me, then implying that if you are going to have a personal story of overcoming trauma in your life, emotional obstacles, drug and/or alcohol addiction, then by all means you better have a hell of a story to tell because addiction, isolation, depression, loves lost and regrets in life aren't enough...anyone can overcome that...how about REAL problems like this guy had and overcame...now that's inspiring, huh? But they weren't real... and that is less than inspiring.

On the other hand, I have no problems with a work of fiction where our protagonist is an alcoholic and or addict and has all sorts of struggles that as a reader we can identify with, or sympathize with, or even fictional events that a character goes through that we can't begin to fathom but can only imagine through their eyes and perspective and are amazed at our character's strength to endure and overcome.

We can then wish we had some of the same attributes of this character, knowing full well it is a fictional character...and wish we'd have the strength to persevere in our own struggles as we witness our hero or heroine subjected to perhaps much worse.

I cannot begin to think I'd want to have any attributes of this man's character...or lack of.

When a man sells a work of fiction, hyping up his own life story to have more struggles, obstacles, demons and redemptive pawer then he will ever actually fathom, and then sells it as his true memoirs when it doesn't sell so well as fiction, and prostitutes himself to the public and media as some kind of inspirational hero when it is all a hoax-I can find nothing inspiring nor redemptive in his character, the events portrayed, or the story in part or as a whole.

As a wannabe writer myself, I find it an appalling disgrace.

I have considered, and am still considering ,writing a true story or one based on true events in my own life, but if I were to tell my own life story...first I'd probably downplay some of my truths, tragedies, addictions and struggles to save myself and family some embarrassment and pain, and because of that-I've not begun writing it until I am ready to either sell it as a work of fiction, or buck up and write honestly and tell the whole damn truth.

In contrast, this man sold a fictional piece of crap as the truth and that is a disgrace-he is no hero, nor is he as a character seeking and finding redemption in this book. He is a character in real life, seeking and find a buck and selling himself- and true heroes overcoming obstacles, beating addictions, and finding redemption- out in the progress.

I have no respect for him or this work.

OK, just had to get that off my chest.

FYI-the train wreck happened-he had no part in it. That would be more of a lie than exaggeration I think, as well as the fact hHe spent 3 HOURS in lock up- NOT 3 MONTHS IN PRISON!! (BIG HUGE HUGE difference!!) That is a lie, not an exaggeration in my book-the man did not do time, you know what I am saying? Also, he did NOT go through the dental proceedures without novacaine...the lies are never ending-those are not exagerrations...

Anyway...just MHO...you enjoy the book though and I'll try not to hold it against you.

**edited to tell you that you have 2 links but they are the same story**

[edit on 24-3-2006 by think2much]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Forget what these guys are saying. They're getting hung up on little things that don't matter at all.
What does matter is that it's an amazing book (as is the sequel, 'My Friend Leonard') and is very moving and sobering.
Whether or not the book is based on fact is beside the point.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I read it and didn't like it. Before it got hit with the critique of being partly false. A book about addiction I liked a whole lot better was CANDY by Luke Davies.
More coherent. More realistic. Actually it was made into a movie not long ago with Heath Ledger. It was good too but I usually prefer the book and this case was no different.

top topics

join