It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birdflu likely to mutate & jump from birds to humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Dr. Robert Webster collects and studies samples of the virus in his Memphis, Tennessee lab. He says chances are good that the virus will mutate and jump from birds to humans. "[There are] about even odds at this time for the virus to learn how to transmit human to human."

If that happened, a deadly pandemic could quickly spread around the world.

Dr. Webster says we need to be prepared. "We can't accept the idea that 50 percent of the population could die. I think we have to face that possibility. I'm sorry if I'm making people a little frightened, but I feel it's my role."

Scientists work around the clock, hoping the virus doesn't mutate, but preparing for the worst.

Source: Mambo blog

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hi! Very interesting and thanks for sharing. I have a question though. Your source blog states this "As the threat of bird flu spreads around the world, the big question on the minds of scientists around the world is if — and when — the virus might mutate to allow it to be transmitted from birds to humans." I thought it could already be passed from birds to humans if humans were in direct contact with an infected bird? I also thought that what it is unable to do and what scientists are preparing for is the possibility that it may/may not mutate to a form that will allow it to be passed from human to human?

join