It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please HELP regarding One-Liners: I want the OFFICIAL word

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Is this the post and warning you're complaining about?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Is this the post and warning you're complaining about?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

yes, that is the thread that sparked it off but it is not the original post as it has been edited to remove mork from ork from the picture that was posted (hence what my original posted question of what he was doing in that picture had been about).

i totally understand why my post was removed even as it was no longer relevant to the thread once the picture was edited to remove robin williams from it and have already stated that the thread and the post and the points are irrelevant as far as i am concerned.

what i asked for was clarification on an unclear site rule because i see many examples of it being used by both members and staff and i have been given contradictory replies and opinion on this particular rule by those who could be bothered to reply to me. i am not asking for opinion. i am asking clarification of a rule and for that rule to be updated in the thread www.abovetopsecret.com... so there can be no confusion about the rule or bias in its use. why is that so hard to understand?

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It's a bit of a grey area, but as long as you bear it in mind when posting and don't stick in endless one liners because you don't care then don't worry about it. I've got a few fines for it before, life goes on!

It's not like you get red-flagged or something. There is no way to make it as well controlled as you are saying without turning the staff into cold machines.. I really wouldn't worry about it too much, just bear it in mind and use common sense.

Think of it like a speeding ticket, sometimes (maybe most of the time) you get away with it, but when your caught it's a small fine and a fair cop

Here in the UK you generally can add 10% + 3mph to the speed limit before they get narky, but if they want to they can do you for doing 31 in a 30.. They just use their own discretion, at the end of the day if you break the rule and get done, that's life. If you break the rule and it's overlooked, that's good!
It sometimes happens that you get a guy go screaming past doing 70mph in the 30mph and he's OK, you do 37mph and get a ticket...
Like speeding laws the rule is there to improve the quality of life for the majority, so just do your best to stick to it and don't get upset if you don't and get a little tap on the wrist.

[edit on 19-3-2006 by AgentSmith]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Did I do it? Of course, I don't recall. It's been a few days. I might have given a couple of redundant 1-liners out of idle reading.
For the record, I am now going to edit the one-liners so I don't either wander back in that thread or get directed that way again. Having too many windows open and losing track is a bad thing!

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Like speeding laws the rule is there to improve the quality of life for the majority, so just do your best to stick to it and don't get upset if you don't and get a little tap on the wrist.
AgentSmith]

being english, i am well aware of the uk rules on speeding. do you therefore believe that policemen should be allowed to speed and get away with it? do you believe that mods should post one-line posts (as i saw you did in another thread today) and get away with it? as i said, you dont need to look far to find examples of rule-breaking

i agree that it is a grey area, which is why i have been asking for clarification all this time, but if you are going to make a rule then at least everybody should try and stick to it. its a copout by saying dont do it at all and then in the same breath say try not to get caught if you do do it... heres a novel idea... its called practising what you preach! (in your case it doesnt apply because you have already proclaimed yourself guilty of said offence)

despite what you say, it IS simple to follow a rule once that rule is set out in writing. if i can do it then so can you and it doesnt make you or me a cold person to do so.

it may only be a small matter to some people but it shows that ats is prepared to tolerate hypocracy and bias if they will not clarify that simple rule. and so long as the rule remains unclear then it still is a case of one rule for some but not others, depending on an admin/mods bias

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
do you believe that mods should post one-line posts (as i saw you did in another thread today) and get away with it? as i said, you dont need to look far to find examples of rule-breaking

AgentSmith is not a moderator.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

And nor do I get away with it, I just don't shout about it.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

And, that was a fine example of a 1-line (or minimal) post that contributed to the discussion.

I hope that helps clear it up.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   

as i said, you dont need to look far to find examples of rule-breaking

need i say more?

not a one-line reply

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Some further clarification:

Very short responses that add nothing to the thread are subject to warnings. Because people are human, not every moderator will notice one-line responses that need a warning (it's impossible to see every post), nor will every moderator have the same opinion of very short comments

Please see the bolded points to clarify when a one-liner warning is or is not applicable. Because this is subjective, we have living, breathing, thinking mods... Also, because it's a fairly minor infraction, the penalty is a simple slap on the wrist (metaphorically speaking).

i agree that the majority of mods & admins are fair and balanced and dont let their positions or egos get in the way, but what happens when they are not? do you make a gripe and then have it unanswered? do you look up the thread on what to do when that happens? i did that already and approached one mod in there who offered their services specifically because he had also had commited the very same 'offence' in that very thread but got a contradictory answer back (though that is another story in itself and my thanks again mr mod for your time there)

You could do those steps, U2U another mod, etc. Mods have to follow the rules too, or have you missed passed episodes of "demodding"? It has happened. Contradictory answers occur because of judgement calls, and the subjective nature of the rule. That's why there are human mods versus automated warning features.

SO's post (quoted first, above) makes the answer to your question quite clear. One-liners which DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE DISCUSSION are the reason the one-liner warn exists...not just one-liner replies... I believe his examples illustrated the point nicely.

I do hope your question is now answered satisfactorily, and that all involved have an understanding about one-liners. It's a tool to help, not a tool of oppression...

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

do you bring it up in the gripe area where it can be promply deleted, most likely by the person the gripe was about?

Just to clarify this for you, when a post is deleted, it is moved to a Trash Bin that is still accessible by any member of staff.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
See my ATS Points. That tiny number reflects all of times I've been punished for one-line entries. I guess that I need to fluff up my posts with some BS to avoid this problem in the future.

[edit on 19-3-2006 by A_Widows_Son]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by A_Widows_Son
See my ATS Points. That tiny number reflects all of times I've been punished for one-line entries. I guess that I need to fluff up my posts with some BS to avoid this problem in the future.

Um... No?

That is NOT the way to do it. You want to gain points? Your best bet is to actually make contributing posts to the thread. Then, if your post of a very high caliber, and a mod likes what you had to say, then he or she may issue an applause. A nice, 250 point bonus coming your way. And what did you have to do? Spend 5 minutes typing something coherent.

There are also LOTS of other ways to gain points. Podcasts, authoring a thread, ATSNN articles, tagging, etc...

Now, on the other hand, I can guarantee that just "posting BS" will not help you gain points. In fact, you'll probably stay with a very low amount.

Just something for you to consider.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Posting "BS" is not going to do anything more than create annoyance from other people reading through threads, and perhaps invoke the attention of a mod to suggest a change in your style of posting.

As has been said by staff and member alike, common sense is all you really need, a one-liner is a single short sentence or comment that adds NOTHING to the thread.

If a member's sole comment is nothing more than an unnecessary one-liner, don't bother posting it, just keep it in your head.

If you do have an opinion/comment/argument/theory however that you
wish to offer, please get those fingers tapping.

As the question has been answered as to what a One-Liner is, I'm closing the topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join