It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Link doesnt work....need help...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Guys,

I am having a problem while clicking on links. For example, if i clicked a link within this site, for example click "here", it will not open. I have to copy the link, open the explorer window and paste the link.

If i do a google search for example and click the link, it is fine, it works, but occassionally, i have noted it comes up an error, like page could not be loaded......

This has been happening for the past 2 days. I have posted a note on MSN help but i dnt know when they will come back. I use XP

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
knowledge23,

Try this:

Start -->Run--> Type " regsvr32 urlmon.dll " (without the quote)

When you get a success message, reboot.

Let us know if that solves your problem.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   
12m8keall2c,

Thankyou for the information. I tried what you mentioned but it did not work. Is there something else that i need. Is there something about firewall which i use. I have a office laptop which i use, could that hold the reason. I never had this problem before, but it has suddenly started happening. Should there be a hotfix

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Seems odd that it would be unique to links on ATS. You mention instances where you get a "page not found/page not loaded" error. That could simply be a result of your browser timing out due a slow connection or server lag. It will happen to most occasionally, but it's not something that should persist.

At the top left of your browser window:
Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced tab --> Restore Defaults --> Click Apply --> Click OK.

Also, try right-clicking a given link and choose "open in new window". Just to see if the link will open that way .

Let us know how you make out.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Thanks again for that. I did as you mentioned like restore the default setting. Did not work. Right clicked on the link and it did not open in new window.

I can see the link in the bottom, left hand side panel of the window, where you have the explorer icon and u can see the process, but it doesnt open.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Probably InternetExplorer timing out. I get that sometimes. I'm using it seems a very slow dialup connection to my cellphone. How about you?

WHat type of connection do you have, and speed?

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledge23
I can see the link in the bottom, left hand side panel of the window, where you have the explorer icon and u can see the process, but it doesnt open.

and yet, you mention it works fine when clicking on a link in Google's results ?
Perhaps it does have something to do with a firewall setting. What security software is running on your pc/laptop? (i.e. Norton, McAfee, etc.) You mention using XP ... has SP2 been installed to include all additional updates since?

Just searching for possibilities.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   
It is weird that it is happening. It was working fine a on Thursday. However I have got 512 ADSL connection. The security software is Mcfree virus scan 8.0.0.
I did visit the MSN home page as i wrote before and have tried checking hotfixes. I did read about SP2 and tried downloading it but it did not work. There was no activity. They should me how to deactive the firewall, by going to the control panel but it had group rights on them and nothing to what was shown on the MSN webpage. I was wondering if there was a hotfix or something which i need to download to fix the problem.

I did get the note coming up on its page that i have a geniune XP licenced software.

Not sure what i can do.

Thankyou for all your help

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Okay, I'm stumped. Do you have a connection icon in your sysem 'tray'?(lower right hand side)

If so, click on it, to see if there are any errors. I start getting some once in a while, and it screws up page downloading, among other things. Currebtly mine is at 5. My problem has to do with my crappy connection.

Noticed any uncalled for net activity? (Your not doing anything, but your network status is showing activity.)

Have you scanned your computer for viruses, or spyware, etc. recently?

edit = typo

[edit on 3/19/2006 by larry994]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
When you say "does not open", do you mean that you do get a new separate window with "page cannot be displayed" or an empty window with nothing in it? Or do you mean that you don´t get another window at all? Maybe there is something blocking a new window to open up. If you click a link in google it will likely open the link within the same window as google and doesn´t popup a new separate window.

Just a thought

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
First, without SP2 installed Windows XP is a bit like Swiss cheese. Heck, even With it installed XP holds a resemblance to Baby Swiss.

You can determine if it is installed by doing this:

Right-click on My Computer -->Choose Properties -->On the upper right you will see the version of Windows. (i.e. Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Servie Pack 2). If it doesn't show Service Pack 2, then it's not installed.

Here is a direct link to the full XP SP2 update. [266Mb]

You mention trying to install it prior ? but there was no activity ?
It can take 30 minutes plus depending on the speed/type of PC.

Let us know how you make out with the SP2 install first. That truly is of the utmost priority. Once completed and restarted be sure to go directly to Windows Updates to obtain the numerous updates released since.
Do Not pass Go and Do Not collect $200

Awaiting your response. . .

[edit: to add] If you're using McAfee be sure you have the latest patched update from them. The one they released earlier this week wreaked havoc on many, many computers. It started detecting numerous MS Office file types as viruses. (i.e. word, excel, etc.)

Sorry, but I had to laugh when I first heard of it :shk:

[edit: fixed URL to SP2]

[edit on 3/19/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   
On the lower right hand side corner, I do not get a connection icon. I think it is ADSL connection, hence? is it called LAN? In any case that doesnt come up.

Secondly, when i click on the link on ATS or anyother webpage, it doesnt open on the same page, nor does it open in a new window. For example if i type something in google, the pages will come up. I click the link for the web page, it will take me to the website, then it has a mind of its own. If i click on a page, it may work or it may not work. If it works great. if not, i right click on the link and go to property and copy the link and open another explorer window and then paste the link. I can see the link on the bottom left hand side panel, but it is easy to paste than type.

I have checked what you request. The information was spot on, got the correct information. It is, System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Verson 2002 Service Pack 2. Hence i have SP2 installed. i should have checked here before going looking everywhere.

Thankyou

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I don't know what else to suggest......*throws hands up in the air, in frustration*

12m8kall2c, any guesses? Hellmutt? Anyone else?

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Larry,

Appreicate the efforts and thankyou again. If it doesnt work, ill have a word with the IT guys at work tomorrow.

Thankyou again to all for their help, ill see how it goes...and let you guys know....

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledge23

when i click on the link on ATS or anyother webpage, it doesnt open on the same page, nor does it open in a new window.

There´s your answer. It doesn´t open up a new window. That´s what causes the problem. When you click links on google it opens within the same window. When you click on many links on ats it opens up a new window. To solve the problem you need to find out why your browser doesn´t open up a new window. Maybe you should try a different browser? Like Firefox or something?

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Well, we tried to help. If you do get it straightened out, we'll all call you knowledge24. right now I feel like larry-994

I wish you luck!

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
But that has been the normal case on ATS. Whenever i have clicked a link in ATS it opens in a new window. The ATS window always remains.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Hmmm....Did you recently activate any popup blockers? That may cause new window not to open???

Try an experiment Go to Tools, then pop-up blocker. Turn off popup blocker, then try to open a link. If it does'nt work, turn it back on. If it does work, lower popup blocker setting, ie. from high to medium, etc.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Try giving your PC a HouseCall.

It can't hurt, and will most likely find things your McAfee has been missing.

Also, do you have any "toolbars" installed on your PC? (i.e. Yahoo, MySearch, etc.)

Goto: C: (Local Disk) -->Windows --> Downloaded Programs --> Look for anything unusual or simply delete all that are shown. These are Browser Helper Objects (i.e. Shockwave, Flash, Java, Windows Updates, etc.) You can safely delete any/all.

While I may be wrong, I smell a Browser Hijacker. Since you mention it having started in the past few days that's where I'd lay my money ... for now.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
12m8keall2c

It is quite an intriguing problem. The reason is the link you gave for house call did not work, so i did the usual, right clicked copied the link and pasted it on a new window which i opened. I could however click easily within that window and follow the steps. It is scanning now, but i think as mentioned before there appears to be a problem in the launch....

Thankyou for the information. Will keep you guys updated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join