It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone have experience starting or running a Non-profit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I am in the process of writing up initial documents for my own non-profit organization. It's basically going to be a very unique activist organization that promotes awareness over the US (and I guess other countries if it gets big enough). Here are some questions I have (you can send a u2u if you'd like):

A) What suggestions should I keep in mind while forming the non-profit?

B) How do you deal with venture capital? (i guess I mean, fund raising advice; note: fund raising is explicit in my NP business model, but outside funding might be required to start it up)

C) And anything else that would be useful to know.

thanks for your time,
ktpr

[to the Mods: I am soliciting advice in Chit Chat. I am not coordinating anything nor am I sullying ATS with liberal activist proclaimations. Have a nice day.]

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This is a good post.

I expect statistically that the numbers who are qualified to answer it would be between six and eight.

I would be reluctant to reply in concrete form as the local statutes for you would be at variance with much of my experience.

Tidbits:

1. Get some good Board members early, and pick them for their experience and not just commitment to the ideals
2. Don't deal with venture capital, as venture capitalists shouldn't be dealing with you... looks like grants are the way to go
3. Test your 'brand' on people other than those for whom you might be preaching to the converted
4. Treat your children well.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I can talk to a guy who has one at another forum I visit, his has to do with sick children in hospitals I think, if you want me to, then U2U his E-mail to you or something.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   
MA is right..board members, or at least their prestige can make or break a NP.

This is a good place to start..

www.irs.gov...=96986,00.html

You'll need a good tax attorney to navigate the non-profit labyrnith.

top topics

join