It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern day pirates, what can be done?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Even with the pirates in the news rather frequently these days, the worlds attention seems to be lacking. Pirates are a very serous issue that must be dealt with. [url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060319/ap_on_re_af/somalia_us_pirates;_ylt=AsMH34fGLBGhaQVT1Gi00bOs0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'A3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY]Today[/ur l] the US Navy engaged the criminals with small arms fire. Is this enough to deter them?

Personally, I would like to have a carrier battle group in the area, I am sure the problem would fix itself, but the resources are usually needed elseware. What kind of military assets would be required to confront this issue?

mod edit to fix link

[edit on 19-3-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Agreed,

Pirates are still a huge problem in the world - and I am all for erradicating them, as they are a unknown variable in my future plans.

However things like this sure can't be helping any:

CIA allegedly dressed up as pirates and attacked ships:
www.prisonplanet.com...

So I think the U.S. government, like with drug running, may be half the problem.

Either way - smart mines are probably the best way to deal with these sea going scum...

Just make sure u use mines that deactivate/defuse permanently if left without commands for a set period of time.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
A simple mounting of linked Browning M2 HMGs on a swiveling turret would certainly turn any pirate vessel into swiss cheese in minuets. Compared to what you stand to lose from a pirate attack (Lives, valuables, alot of decreased sea travel in the area), this is fairly inexpensive. However, oucould also simply supply the guards with better arms then the pirates have. Something in the AK-47 or FNp90 range would be good.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
One of the main problems is that as we've become ever more 'civilised', we've grown increasingly far away from merchants carrying weapons to defen themselves. This is not a problem, and even a good thing, provided local navies are powerfull enough to prevent any real piracy problems. The downside is, what do you do when there is no local navy? (or said local navy IS the pirates) Then you wind up in a position where commerce in the region is relying on a foriegn power to police the area.

As for what is needed to defeat pirates in an area, a well disciplined navy with plenty of surface combatants and VBSS (Visit, Board, Search and Seizure) capability. Mines cannot tell a pirate ship from anyone else, and a Carrier battle Group just can't get a close enough look to tell if anyone's a Pirate or not. The only way is to stop a suspicious vessel at sea, send a team over to check them out, and make the determination there. Or catch them in the act, but even that's not terribly easy.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Um... make 'em walk the plank?

I don't know what sort of regulations there are regarding ships in open water and weapons allowed on board... but I think if they are allowed to arm themselves, crews should. Just like law abiding citizens should arm themselves for protection against criminals since the police will not always be there when you need them.

And if that doesn't work, kick 'em in the booty, then make them walk the plank!

Hardy har harrrrrrrr!

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Pirates in the ocean....do they do more damage that the internet pirates....in terms of money....hmmm.

But to stop seaborne piracy....let's go back to giving the sailors swords...or guns....either or. Fight fire with fire.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
merchants arming themselves to repel pirates

I looked into this issue one time, and I gotta say it's complicated.

For one thing in open water (aka no country claims that area) How an armed ship is dealt with is entirelly dependent on whose navy pulls you over and asks for license and registration.

For another in territorial waters you generally have to have a permit from the country who's waters you are in to have armed personnel.

new topics

top topics

join