It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lukashenko: We Will Twist Their Heads Off As If They Were Ducklings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
lol

I suppose I don't really want to have my head twisted off like a duckling.

His picture would look even more great if you did 'RAWR' coming out of his mouth.

Is he the one who likes to be called Father?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

...kidding, I'm not closing this thread. There is no other thread about this and Lukashenko can't shut this one down (neener neener) ...

I wonder how long Lukashenko and his pals are going to rule in Belarus? Now he is banned in EU and US so far. What's next? A good ol' revolution?

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Lukashenko says:

'Eat your greens like good kids!'

A revolution? Possibly, but the Belarussians must be heartened by international support, and not abandonment to Lukashenko.

How long can he last? It depends what happens.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Lukashenko didn't like the critisism he got from the Helsinki Committee and now he want it shut down.

Fox23 News: Belarus Justice Ministry seeks to close down leading human rights group

The Justice Ministry said Thursday it had asked a court to close down one of the country's leading human rights groups, the Belarusian Helsinki Committee. The move against a persistent critic of the authoritarian rule of President Alexander Lukashenko follows unprecedented protests against his disputed re-election in March. In a statement posted on its Web site, the Justice Ministry said it had filed a motion at the Supreme Court requesting that it order the closure of the Helsinki Committee.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Looks like Lukashenko might not let the US or other Western countries use Belarus airspace:

Lukashenko Says Will Ban Flights Over Belarus in Response to Sanctions
Created: 24.05.2006 14:29 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 14:29 MSK

MosNews

President Alexander Lukashenko suggested on Tuesday that he might ban Western overflights of Belarus in response to sanctions against his former Soviet state in connection with his disputed re-election, the Reuters news agency reported.

Link

Apparently, it's in reaction to the US and Canada not letting Lukashenko's plane land in the US or Canada to refuel on his way to and from Cuba.

Tit for Tat.

Oh, how I've missed the cold war.....

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
There has been a trial behind closed doors in Minsk, and today four Belarusian activists were given prison sentences ranging from six months to two years.

RFE/RL: Belarus: Election Activists Sentenced In Closed-Door Trial

August 4, 2006

A verdict was handed down today in the closed-door trial of four Belarusian activists accused of running an unregistered organization. The four, who have been in pretrial detention since February, each received prison sentences ranging from six months to two years. The four worked for a nongovernmental organization (NGO) that was planning to monitor the March 19 presidential election.

The sentences handed down today by Judge Leanid Yasinovich were more lenient than those recommended by the prosecution -- but harsh from the perspective of the defendants and their supporters.

Information about the trial has been scant, with the public denied access and little press coverage. Since their detention in February, relatives of the accused have complained that their visiting rights have been restricted.

Opposition leader Alyaksandr Milinkevich, who lost by a wide margin to Lukashenka in the March presidential election, has spoken out in support of the defendants. "They [the authorities] have already begun to fight people who did nothing but had an intention to do something. What did these people want to do? They wanted to monitor the [presidential] election and they wanted to do an exit poll. This is done in all countries, even in those that are not very civilized," Milinkevich said on July 28. "The authorities are afraid because they know that they lie and they know that the elections were falsified. They are afraid of the truth. Therefore, it is a struggle against the truth," he added.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Belarus receives aid from the U.S.? I didn't know that...
Maybe they didn't believe that Lukashenko would still be in power? But he is, and according to this budget proposal they will receive $10m in 2007. This aid is aimed at supporting democracy and the development of a civil society...

BakuTODAY.net: Bush bill offers to cut aid to ex-Soviet states

04/08/2006 23:29

The aid to Armenia is expected to decrease from $75m to $50m, while Russia and Georgia will get $58m each. Azerbaijan will receive $28m, while Tajikistan - $22m, Kazakhstan $19m, Moldova $16m, Uzbekistan $15m, Belarus $10m, and Turkmenistan $5m.

The total aid package is to be reduced from $508.8m this year to $441m in 2007, according to the Bush administration’s proposal.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Former presidential candidate Aleksandr Kozulin is given poisoned water at the detention centre according to an anonymous letter from "a group of KGB officers". The poison was allegedly developed at a secret KGB laboratory in the Soviet era. Kozulin was found guilty of hooliganism and the organization of group actions disturbing the public peace (ref.: page 1). Kozulin's lawyer says the condition of his client had sharply deteriorated. He says Kozulin has eyes problems and feels faint...

Axis News: Anonymous KGB employees’ letter says Belarus oppositionist is given poisoned water

An anonymous email received by BelaPAN news agency on September 7 says that the convicted opposition politician Aleksandr Kozulin is given poisoned water at the detention centre on Volodarskogo Street in central Minsk.
The email is signed by "a group of KGB officers" who claim that the detention centre's sanitary officers have pledged not to disclose that the water is contaminated. The letter says that the substance was developed at a secret KGB laboratory in the Soviet era. It alleges that the chemical can lead to the exacerbation of chronic diseases, immune disorders and disability in the long run.
[---]
he acknowledged that the condition of his client had sharply deteriorated. According to him, the politician has eyes problems and feels faint.

[edit on 2006/9/11 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
A Belarusian rights activist has been sentenced to two years at a prison colony for saying that Lukashenko needs a psychiatric examination.

MosNews: Belarus Rights Activist Sentenced for Calling President Demented

A Minsk court sentenced a Belarusian rights activist to two years at a prison colony Monday for saying authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko needed a psychiatric examination, AP reports.

“In Belarus, they even try you for your thoughts,” Sadovskaya said after the sentence was handed down. “Lukashenko has turned human rights in Belarus into an empty sound.”

Police found and confiscated the Jan. 21-dated statement during a search of her apartment even though she had not distributed it anywhere. During the trial, she confirmed she was the author of the statement.

All together now: "Lukashenko is crazy, crazy, crazy. C-R-A-Z-Y. What's that spell? Crazy!"

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Lukashenko made some wild and surprising statements yesterday. The most surprising is that he wants a union with Ukraine to face economic blackmail from Russia. A Ukraine-Belarus State! He also admitted to rigging the election. Lukashenko: "Yes, we falsified the last election".

RFE/RL: Lukashenka Eyes Union With Ukraine

November 24, 2006

Belarus's president made some surprising announcements on November 23 as Minsk prepares to host a summit of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). Meeting in the Belarusian capital with a group of Ukrainian journalists, President Lukashenka informed them that Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko had "announced" that he will not be coming to the CIS summit on November 28, proposed the formation of a Ukrainian-Belarusian state, and even admitted to rigging Belarus's last presidential election.

Lukashenka did not conceal his concern over Moscow's declared intention to increase the price it charges for natural-gas exports to Belarus in 2007. Belarus could find itself paying as much as $200 per 1,000 cubic meters compared to the current rate of $47.

Lukashenka on November 23 acknowledged that he rigged the March presidential election. But he claimed to have stolen the vote from himself, not from the opposition. "Yes, we falsified the last election. I have already told the Westerners [about this]. As many as 93.5 percent of voters voted for President Lukashenka. But they said this was not a 'European' result. So we made it 86 [percent]. That is true," Lukashenka said. "If we were to start recounting ballots now, I don't know what we would do with them. The Europeans told us before the election that if there were 'European' figures in the election, they would recognize our election. And we tried to make European figures."

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Now I am convinced- This guy is there for nothing more than comic relief. After reading all the horror stories about Russia and scandals in Eastern Europe, you go to read about Belarus in the humor section.

Lukashenka for President- because everyone else is just too damn serious.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I can't believe we are still giving this guy money! I know the U.S. federal gov't views $10 million as an insignicant rounding error, but still.

And btw, YOU ARE NUTS Luka-whatever-the-hell-your-name-is!!! That guy was right!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Apartments and offices of opposition journalists in Belarus are being searched by Belarusian secret services. Lukashenko apparently didn't like this cartoon...

RussiaToday: Cartoon causes Belarus crackdown

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Great thread!

Flagged and starred. How is it that such mean-spirited dictators wind up with the reins of power in the first place? Sure, the election was rigged, but how does the rigging take place on a scale like that?

Are there corporate interests involved? What does Belarus have that Lukashenko can provide for whoever is pulling the strings?

And, most of all, the strategic location... is there a threat to Poland in this?

Insane or not, there must be some reasoned purpose behind all this.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Lukashenko's five-year-old son met with the Pope. Pope Benedict XI cried tears of joy when he saw him.

'Pope cried tears of joy over my son' - Lukashenko

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said that Pope Benedict XI was moved to tears by the sight of his five-year-old son, Kolya.

The existence of Kolya, Lukashenko's third son, was a secret until 2007.

[---]

"The boy came in, and how that man, that elderly man who never sees children, changed. There were tears in his eyes. He stroked Kolya's head, but Kolya doesn't like that, he only likes it when I stroke his head, and I could see that he was getting angry, but I said to him 'put up with it.'"

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Told his boy to just deal with the Pope. This has been an interesting thread.
Wanted to throw this in incase any of you were wondering......

Belarus Special Weapons

As of July 1996, a total of 63 of the initial 81 single-warhead mobile SS-25 Topol missiles, had been withdrawn, with the remaining 18 yet to be removed to Russia. However, Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka announced that Belarus would suspend the withdrawal of nuclear missiles from Belarus to Russia. Lukashenka said the decision to withdraw the weapons was a political mistake made by the previous leadership, and that it was unnecessary since Belarus and Russia may soon unite. The weapons had been dismantled and were no longer a military threat, and were finally returned to Russia in late November 1996.

[Belarus became a non-nuclear weapons state in November 1996.

/ex]www.fas.org...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I can't believe we are still giving this guy money! I know the U.S. federal gov't views $10 million as an insignicant rounding error, but still.

And btw, YOU ARE NUTS Luka-whatever-the-hell-your-name-is!!! That guy was right!!!

Not sure what you mean - he sounds like a perfect candidate for American support - Ghaddafi, Pinochet, Hussein, Netanyahu, Bin Saud, Jean Kambanda (Hutu Primeminister of Rawanda), Idi Amin, Frederik Willem de Klerk, Gen. Jorge Rafael Videla, Suharto,Armas, Fuentes, Montt (Guatemala), The Shah of Iran,Mubarak (Egypt), Anastasio Somoza & sons(Nicaragua), Stroessner (Paraguay, Col. Hugo Banzer (Bolivia), Jonas Savimbi (Angola), Mobutu (Zaire), Noriega (Panama ), Papa Doc, Baby Doc (Haiti), Trujillo (Dominican Republic), Gen. Branco (Brazil), Kamirov "The Boiler" (Uzbekistan), THE KHMER ROUGE (Cambodia)

phew and there is also ..........

Abacha, General Sani ----------------------------Nigeria
Amin, Idi ------------------------------------------Uganda
Banzer, Colonel Hugo ---------------------------Bolivia
Batista, Fulgencio --------------------------------Cuba
Bolkiah, Sir Hassanal ----------------------------Brunei
Botha, P.W. ---------------------------------------South Africa
Cerezo, Vinicio -----------------------------------Guatemala
Chiang Kai-Shek ---------------------------------Taiwan
Cordova, Roberto Suazo ------------------------Honduras
Christiani, Alfredo -------------------------------El Salvador
Diem, Ngo Dihn ---------------------------------Vietnam
Doe, General Samuel ----------------------------Liberia
Duvalier, Francois --------------------------------Haiti
Duvalier, Jean Claude-----------------------------Haiti
Fahd bin'Abdul-'Aziz, King ---------------------Saudi Arabia
Franco, General Francisco -----------------------Spain
Hassan II-------------------------------------------Morocco
Marcos, Ferdinand -------------------------------Philippines
Martinez, General Maximiliano Hernandez ---El Salvador
Papadopoulos, George --------------------------Greece
Park Chung Hee ---------------------------------South Korea
Pol Pot---------------------------------------------Cambodia
Rabuka, General Sitiveni ------------------------Fiji
Montt, General Efrain Rios ---------------------Guatemala
Salassie, Halie ------------------------------------Ethiopia
Salazar, Antonio de Oliveira --------------------Portugal
Somoza, Anastasio Jr. --------------------------Nicaragua
Somoza, Anastasio, Sr. -------------------------Nicaragua
Smith, Ian ----------------------------------------Rhodesia
Videla, General Jorge Rafael ------------------Argentina
Zia Ul-Haq, Mohammed ----------------------Pakistan

Whooo - did you want me to keep going ? I mean this is all pretty well known stuff - I would definitely be adding Mikheil Saakashvili however he is more of a general nut job - still a psycho that the US support.

are you surprised that this is what your country does ? Did you not know that your country is responsible for more pain and suffering in the world than probably any other country ?

Oh well - live and learn.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join