It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

modern anti tank weaponry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
ok lets share knowledge of ant tank weaponry i know all about the hellfire and these weapons
www.army-technology.com...

(scroll to anti armour/tank weapons)

im not very fimiliar with ant tank mines.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by urmomma158
ok lets share knowledge of ant tank weaponry i know all about the hellfire and these weapons
www.army-technology.com...

(scroll to anti armour/tank weapons)

im not very fimiliar with ant tank mines.

well there are 4 types of anti tank mines.

the first is the blast mine this is pretty much exactly that its usually made from TNT,comp B, C4 or RDX its usually uses a pressure or tilt switch which is matched to only activate when a certain amount of weight is placed on top.
it works by just detonating creating a blast wave which usually is sufficient to destroy a jeep or cargo truck but only powerful enough to cause mobility damage to a tank or IFV. they usually contain about 5-10kg of high explosives.

the second is the shaped charge mine this basically uses a shaped charge which penetrates the tanks underbelly using shaped charge which is the main style of the warheads from anti tank missiles and rpg's.
quick guide to shaped charge:
the shaped charge pretty much is just explosives that is lined with copper and they are shaped in a certain way when detonated the energy propels the molten/plasma copper/metal/alloy lining at supersonic speeds at the target causing it to penetrate. main thing about shaped charges they are Dependant on diameter size the bigger the diameter the more penetration of armor.

the 3rd is the projectile mine this when activated will lob a projectile which is a metal slug or liquid metal slug at a tank this has as far as i know only been made and used by the Russians interestingly enough they also used this concept in a anti-helicopter mine connected to directional microphones which lobs a metal slug at a low flying(up to 250metres) helicopter and destroys it. this is different from the shaped charge mine becuase this can be placed dozens of meters away from the target infact some can be placed upto 25+ meters away fromt he taregt

4th side attack mine. there are 2 versions one is like a rpg connected to a pressure pad when a tank rolls over a pressure pad it activates the rpg which is hidden in a bush/shrub and causes it to fire it at the tank the direction of the rpg is already set before to the direction of the road/street.
and the second type is a pressure pad that is connected to a spring loaded trap kind of like a bear trap when the tank rolls over the pressure pad it causes the spring & latch to be released which causes the spring to expand pushing the mine full of explosives into the side of the vehicle.

now my fingers are tired from all this typing.

[edit on 19-3-2006 by iqonx]

[edit on 19-3-2006 by iqonx]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
also i need to add to the above there are 5 types of switches/fuzes to activate the mines :

1. pressure/tilt switch these activate with pressure.

2. sound/motion/vibration switch these are the new mines which can detect the sound of the tank and motion they have pre-stored sounds in them which allow them to activate only when tanks are around i think mostly used by european nations also these have kill switches inside some of them where you can program them or are already pre programmed to deactive and become de-activated after a certain amount of time so they dont cause any civillians injuries after the war is over.
the vibration switch is mathed to the amount of vibration causesd by a heavy tank.

3. magnetic these work by magnetic fields and only activate when a heavey metal tank is present which cases the magnetic fuze to arm. it will not activate if a car or van comes near only when a tank usally these are combined with a motion/vibration/sound sensor to stop acidental civillian casualties against large civillians trucks.

4. remote. this works by remote controll like an IED used in iraq. the hezbollah where masters of remote controlled anti-armour shaped charge mines. also can be used with convention blast explosives rether then shaped charges.

5. laser tripwire anti tank mine. once again spear headed by hezbollah against israel. this is also used by iran. it creates a laser tripwire when it is broken it sets of the mine. it can be combined with a magnetic fuze as well to create a more stable design that activates when the magnetic fuze is set by the metal tank and detonates exactly when the laser tripwire is broken.

all the above can be combined eg..

laser tripewire + magnetic fuze + pressure pad.

magnetic fuze + pressure pad.

sound/motion + magnetic fuze + pressure pad.

magnetic fuze + remote controll.

remote controll + pressure pad

etc....

new topics

join