It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean Fish Levels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Mmm, forgive me here if I'm repeating a thread. I did a search, but that's never a guarantee.

I read an article several months ago that scientists estimate that the world's oceans are 70-80% fished out. I can't post a poll about this, so I'm just going to ask how many people here believe this is true.

Personally, I think it's probably within the realm of possibility. We are really eating a lot of fish when you think about it and the nets you see coming in on TV don't look as full as they used to look.

Thanks for your input.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Smart fish learn to swim deeper. The ones who don't try, die. The ones who can't survive the pressure, they die too. The only ones left are the real survivors, and they pass some of their suitability on to their offspring.

Humanity is an agent of evolution just as much as we're subject to it. Is it bad that we've fished the ocean nearly to death? You bet. But there's always a silver lining.

Fish farms are the way to go nowadays, in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Don't have a definitive answer to your question, but there are many articles about our depleting fish populations due to overfishing, environmental pollution, and myriad of other causes, so for now I'm leaning towards the article being true, however I cannot agree or disagree with the percentage of 70-80%. I do recall seeing another thread about rapid algae or seaweed growth in some areas, and then there is red tide and other natural causes that have been taking its toll on the fish species

google "lower fish populations in oceans" and you can decide for yourself too.

new topics

join