It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bionic Muscles!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Scientists at the University of Texas have created an artificial muscle that runs on alcohol!

And hydrogen.

But it's an artificial, bionic muscle, 100 times stronger than normal skeletal muscle

Scientists make 'bionic' muscles

Scientists have developed artificial, super-strength muscles which are powered by alcohol and hydrogen.

And they could eventually be used to make more advanced prosthetic limbs, say researchers at University of Texas.

Writing in Science, they say these artificial muscles are 100 times more powerful than the body's own.

They said they could even be used in "exoskeletons" to give superhuman strength to certain professions such as firefighters, soldiers and astronaut

Two types of muscle are being investigated by US researchers at the Nanotech Institute at the University of Texas in Dallas, working with colleagues from South Korea.

Both release the chemical energy of fuels, such as hydrogen and alcohol, while consuming oxygen.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Steve Austin, anyone?

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
hey check out some of the things i found while looking up the same stuff.

I had started a thread that no one replied to so here is the link to the thread and the links in the post.

Artificial muscles and polymer modifications.

the links

polymer modification for artificial muscle

wikipedia search results for polymers

robotic arm wrestling match against a human.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magickesists

robotic arm wrestling match against a human.

That's cool stuff!

The news article I linked to is slightly different than the thread you started in that this particular artificial muscle doesn't run on an electric current -- it runs chemically, from alcohol and hydrogen.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It's going to rawk being a ninja in the future able to jump 100 ft straight up

to original poster:

Both release the chemical energy of fuels, such as hydrogen and alcohol, while consuming oxygen.

alcohol is the by product

if only I could have a robot running on alcohol
BENDER!

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Once again science fiction becomes science fact.
I love hearing news like this.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
this is great news for me, I am the ninja of the future, or at least the one whos gonna try and incorporate this into a crazy nija suit lol.

I have been drawing sketches for a comic book character with an exoskeloton suite like this and a lot more. Mind you there's a few already out there, so my idea has to be unique.

Anyway Both of them have potential. I think that when the start using the nano tubes it could be pretty interesting. I read somewhere that some university was researching material that can change atomic structure entirely with electric current. That could make for some t-1000 style stuff lol.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

alcohol is the by product

if only I could have a robot running on alcohol
BENDER!

Actually you misread that bit. It says that the contraption "release the chemical energy of fuels, such as hydrogen and alcohol..."

In other words, it is like BENDER!!

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
awesome! i feel a lot happier now that'll be chilling with ninja bender

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This will be very interessting to see what this brings for Exoskelletons

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a hundred times is a bit too much neh : )

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverSurfer
This will be very interessting to see what this brings for Exoskelletons

This may be the answer to our energy and oil crisis. Just imagine running 10-20 miles without breaking a sweat or riding a bicycle (it would be modified of course) 30-40 miles in the time it takes you to drive today.

And sports? Kevlar re-inforced exoskeletons would give football a whole new meaning.

Great find.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Combine this with the alcohol cloud and you'd have a real solution to the energy crisis

Of course, getting to that alcohol cloud would be the first problem.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Sounds like a utopia of some kind, so much alcohol, and people with 100 times the strength they have. Everyone would be superman with backyard pools of booze.

Olny a faggot would still have a lake of salt, they shall be replaced by booze.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Man this sounds like a great idea!

What I worry about is our man of the future, drinking his alcoholic by-product and going on a rampage through traffic. He hits someone's car gets out, and tosses the offending stationary parked car somwhere into the next block.

Hehe

*Hick* Thad'll teesh thad stupit car to ged in ma way...*blarffff*

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I think people are starting to get the idea of the true potential of these mudscles and space age materials. Lol I have dreamed up having a suite like that when i was like thirteen or fourteen.

Imagine what martial artists would be capable of wit hsuch suites. crazy three story nija flips and kung fu madness.

top topics

join