It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question of gravity!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Does this apply to a black hole?

If the mass is that of 1,000,000,000 of our suns, and I weigh 200 pounds. How much would I weigh in a black hole?

Yes, it applies to black holes...in this case, you would qualify as the fattest black hole in the universe.

May the force be with you.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Valhall

your sense o' humor is outta this world!!

But um_gazz's expression must have resembled an angry black hole after reading your comment!!

Now would you pleeeaaase tell him how much he'll weigh in a black hole?
The suspense is killing him!!

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
your sense o' humor is outta this world!!

But um_gazz's expression must have resembled an angry black hole after reading your comment!!

Actually my expression was more like this:

I love her "sense ' humor" too.. She really makes this a fun place to be.

apc

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Can't remember where I read it, but long ago I read that you would weigh about 2lbs lighter at the top of Mt. Everest than you would at sea level. Don't quote me on that though, it was a long time ago when I read it.

And if you were hovering at the center of the Earth, in the hypothetical hollow gap of course, you would be crushed. Your gut may feel zero gravity, but your limbs most certainly would not. Your arms, legs, and head would be inside the "steepest grade" of the spacial curve (remember space isn't really being bent, it's just a metaphor to help us understand what is happening). Your gall bladder is probably the only thing that wouldn't really notice, except for the fact that your liver just got neatly compacted around it.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I actually thought it was a few mG/nG differential. 2 pounds is a quite significant difference in gravity...

[edit on 1-4-2006 by sardion2000]

apc

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Yeah I definitely wouldn't rely on my info. Again I cannot remember where I read it so it could have easily been rubbish. The context was "How can someone lose weight without dieting or exercise?" and the answer was "Take them to the top of Mt. Everest." ... this was before metabolite and other wonder pills, of course.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
if you forget everything else you'd be correct namely, zero gravity at earth's center. You weigh the most at the surface. As you (a body with mass) go deeper (you'd have to be protected from both heat and pressure) into the earth you will have all that mass behind you and you, as a body with mass would also be attracted by that mass. So the closer you get to the center the less gravitational pull from the center and the more between you and the surface.
Having said all this there would still be gravitational pull at the earth's center as we are in orbit around the sun and it be gravity what is a keepin us there. The solar system is rotating about the center of our Galaxy and our Galaxy is effected by the Galaxies near us and so on. In fact if you can stay around for a few billion years we will probably merge with, I believe it's, andromeda but I can't remember fo sho!
I know one thing, It is really going to hurt, when it happens.
sayswho (skep by any other name)

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sayswho

Having said all this there would still be gravitational pull at the earth's center as we are in orbit around the sun and it be gravity what is a keepin us there.

Sayswho has a point here which has got me thinking. Yeah, there's gotta be some centrifugal force at the centre of the Earth too, since we're orbiting around the sun.

So what can we call this? Artificial gravity? But it's gravity all right. Like the artificial gravity produced in a rotating space station.

But probably that's negligible? Can someone hazard an answer to this?

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Mikesingh,

Are you planning to post your thoughts with an answer to the question you have posted. It have been more than a month or are you planning to stretch it out more?

Rgds
Knowldege23

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   

when i was younger i used to think that if the world stopped spinning we,d all fly off into space

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Ive read a few of the posts (but not all) and some of the reasoning behind which place would yield a greater weight sounds very weird (e.g. mineral deposits, disortion of gravity due to the mass of mount everest, and ect.)

The value of 'g' or gravity due to acceleration can be determined by the formula:

g = Gm/r^2

Where m is the mass of the centeral body (the earth) r is the displacement from the center of the Earth (radius + altititude)

The weight of a body, existing within a magnetic field can be determined by the formula:

W = mg

Where m is the mass of the body within a gravitational field (a person or another object) and g is the gravity due to acceleration.

From the first formula, g = Gm/r^2, it can be seen that as the distance from the Earth increases, the value of gravity decreases. Although the acceleration due to gravity is zero at the center of the Earth, this is only a special case.

I dont know the distance of Death Valley from the center of the Earth, but based on the fact that the tip of Mount Everest is the highest point on the Earth's surface, it can be concluded that a person would weigh more in Death Valley, then being on the tip of Mount Everest.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I agree.

Getting away from the Earth or deeper into earth has the same effect on you, you weight less. But taking into account that Everest takes you further away means you would weight there less.

May we have the official answer?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Mikesingh,

Still await your response?

Rgds

Knowledge23

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Knowledge23,

BTW, I've already given the answer some time ago on this thread.
Check this out on the previous page. Post Number: 2084178.

Cheers!

P.S. Try not to have a peek at it right now. There could be more interesting theories to ponder about!

[edit on 29-4-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Mikesingh,

Thanks for the update. Interesting discussion. Will go through link.

Rgds

K23

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join