It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the West wanted to split.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I started thinking about how not everyone agree's on the politics and such of the U.S government, and it got me to thinking even more about other stuff, anyways I came up with a little scenario, and I'm wondering what everyone thinks of it.

It's the year 2036.

Starting with George W Bush the administration's and congress's have been vehemently republican, and over time have moved farther and farther right.

In an effort to "Make America better" than president Johannson enacts a bill that all but makes homosexuality, bisexuality and basically anything not totally heterosexual, illegal.
There is little public outcry on the East coast, though the scene is diferent on the West coast, where squads of people have been known to attack police officers who try and enact legal courses under the new "Anti-gay legislation".

2037, (first half of the year)
President Johannson go's against the constitution and declares Christianity as the state religion.

2037, (second half of the year)
President Johannson attends a white supremist meeting.

November 17 2037,
For the past seven years (since 2030) there has been a growing amount of anger and disgust against the government, and a growing amount of people calling for either overthrowing of the government and/or split from the United States.
After news of president Johannson's attending is leaked to West coast "Liberal" news outlets. People start rioting at government buildings.

December 5 2037,
The commonwealth of western states is formed comprised of the states of Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona and Utah.

December 7 2037,
The commonwealth of western states declares it's independance as a sovereign nation apart from the United States.

Ok, just a bit of a timeline there, was intended to make it more story like but anyways, how probable do you all see something like this being, what problems do you see?

[edit on 3/17/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
An interesting future history. But I'm not sure the Republicans are going to stay in office that long. Bush has suffered soome setbacks largely at the hands of his own party. But I have a question why would only the west coast split. Their are signficant gay lesbian and otherwise left leaning communities on mthe eastern seaboard as well. You also have to remenber that a significant amount of the population here in the western US is conservative. I think something like 44-48 percent of Californians voted for Bush last time.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   

But I have a question why would only the west coast split. Their are signficant gay lesbian and otherwise left leaning communities on mthe eastern seaboard as well. You also have to remenber that a significant amount of the population here in the western US is conservative. I think something like 44-48 percent of Californians voted for Bush last time.

Right sorry, I forgot to add that part.

In the scenario the conservative people from the West moved to the East and the liberals from the East moved to the West.

So it's something like 95% of the East coast is conservative and 95% of the West coast is Liberal.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
In the scenario the conservative people from the West moved to the East and the liberals from the East moved to the West.

So it's something like 95% of the East coast is conservative and 95% of the West coast is Liberal.

Well... In the event something could actually cause such a drastic division in the states I agree the liberal minded would probably go westward. If that division occured I think it's logical to assume it would be a catalyst for a civil war.

Among all the things conservatives and liberals don't see eye to eye on why did you isolate gays/bisexuals/lesbians? Do you see that issue being the most likely to cause this sort of division?

Is this just a hypothetical food-for-thought? You mentioned you wanted it to read like a story...is this part of a story you are writting?

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by iori_komei

Well... In the event something could actually cause such a drastic division in the states I agree the liberal minded would probably go westward. If that division occured I think it's logical to assume it would be a catalyst for a civil war.

Among all the things conservatives and liberals don't see eye to eye on why did you isolate gays/bisexuals/lesbians? Do you see that issue being the most likely to cause this sort of division?

Is this just a hypothetical food-for-thought? You mentioned you wanted it to read like a story...is this part of a story you are writting?

No, it just happened to be the issue being discussed on the news when I was making this thread.

No, not part of a story, it's difficult enough writing three stories at the same time, don't need to add more.

top topics

join