It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution predictable throughout the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If one could rewind the evolutionary tape of life on Earth, and replayed it, one wopuld see many of the same innovations appear.

If the history of life on Earth could be rewound and replayed, many of the same innovations would reappear, although at different times and in slightly different forms.

This is the conclusion of Geerat Vermeij, a paleontologist at the University of California, Davis.
Vermeij's views imply that evolution is in some ways predictable and that life on other planets might not be so alien after all.

"Some traits are so advantageous under so many circumstances, or arise so relatively easily by virtue of self-organization, that you're likely to see the same things again and again," Vermeij told LiveScience.

LiveScience.com

I'm surprised no ones created a thread in regards to this, I'd think someone would have thought this interesting enough to post about.

I certainly think it's a great, well I don't know what it is exactly, but maybe a theory would be the best thing to call it, anyways regardless of what it is exactly I think it's pretty great.

Aliens may end up to be alot less "alien" than we might imagine.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I just realised I posted this in the wrong forum, I meant to put it under the Space Exploration forum, and while this (Science & Technology) forum can be considered the appropriate forum for this as well, I'd like to ask that a mod and/or admin move this thread to the Space forum.

Thank you in advance.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Excellent find, I should read livescience.com more often. I tend to check out newscientist.com more then anything, or bbc.co.uk.

Aliens may end up to be alot less "alien" than we might imagine.

This is very cool. Although at first the comment was a little misleading before I read the article. I assumed I was going to read something about alien life looking similar to terrestrial life lol.

"Alien life forms will look different but they will have many of the same basic traits and performance levels and abilities," Vermeij said.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Produkt
Excellent find, I should read livescience.com more often. I tend to check out newscientist.com more then anything, or bbc.co.uk.

www.physorg.com... is the best IMO. In details as well as turnover rate. Less annoying setup too.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Come on Sardion, lets not use this thread to pimp a science site.

Wait, never mind it's science, so go ahead, pimp science as much as possible.

new topics

top topics

join