It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why rebuild New Orleans?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Why would anyone want to rebuild there? It's never safe because the Mississippi river wants to over-flow the levees (and has wanted to do so for decades) and flood New Orleans naturally...

So what are these people who want to rebuild...stupid?

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
why would you build a city in an area thats way under the sea level ?????

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
They've already begun draining it...but I don't know.

I realize that New Orleans wasn't always that way; and that the Mississippi didn't used to threaten it; but times have changed...this is the inevitable result.

The people should leave forever and never look back.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I can't see any sense in rebuilding it if the levees are 'going to be at least as strong, and maybe stronger, than they were'.

Unless they make levees that can withstand the most destructive hurricanes, then its simply and logically just a matter of time before the exact same events repeat.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I can't see any sense in rebuilding it if the levees are 'going to be at least as strong, and maybe stronger, than they were'.

Unless they make levees that can withstand the most destructive hurricanes, then its simply and logically just a matter of time before the exact same events repeat.

It's really not a matter of 'why' but 'because'. I realize that rebuilding the city even 20-30 miles away from it's current location would eliminate many of the issues the city is now faced with, but the reality of the situation is that many people feel attached to their property. Also let's be realistic, how does one build a city from scratch?

Some people have lived in this area their whole lives, and would not move even if it came to a gunpoint situation. So, I leave you with the thought of transfering massive infrastructure, a population of 1million people and all their belongings. Yes, it's barely conceivable. Therefore there is no point in leaving some people behind, and re-locating the rest.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Why rebuild New Orleans? Why rebuild in the tornado corridor? Why rebuild any thing that has been wiped out?
The answer is, because people live there, and have maybe lived there all their lives.

Just because you or someone else lives where it is safe, does not mean that the people affected should have to move else where just because people like you think that it is not worth rebuilding.

The fact that a lot of black people lived in NO, makes me think that comments mentioned above smack of racism. Sorry, but that is the way i see things. These people deserve more than they have got so far. they have had to put with worse than we could ever imagine, yet some people can say that it is not worth it.
Come on................ Get real here.....................These are human beings just like you or me...................

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus
Why would anyone want to rebuild there?

Because otherwise some people will have nowhere to live
Can you imagine how the survivors of katrina would feel if somebody just turned about and said to them that they wernt going to re-build there houses....

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by crookedblue
Because otherwise some people will have nowhere to live
Can you imagine how the survivors of katrina would feel if somebody just turned about and said to them that they wernt going to re-build there houses....

My point exactly. See above comments.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I seriously doubt New Orleans will look much like it did when it is rebuilt. I'm sure most of the former residents will have long settled down in new areas and won't want to move back there.

[edit on 3/17/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I seriously doubt New Orleans will look much like it did when it is rebuilt. I'm sure most of the former residents will have long settled down in new areas and won't want to move back there.

[edit on 3/17/2006 by djohnsto77]

Fair comment DJ, but my reply was to the first post made. Why would they not rebuild? Is it because the majority were black? Or because it is not feasable to rebuild?.

Only the powers that be have answers here...........

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I agree, it's avery bad idea rebuilding New Orleans where it is.

I wonder, if after the city's rebuilt, and this happens again in a few years, than should they rebuild?

It's a stupid idea, building a city below sea level in the first place.

Oh and, you know your screwing up the whole Buck Rogers plot by rebuilding the city, since in that show New Orleans did'nt exist anymore.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Fair comment DJ, but my reply was to the first post made. Why would they not rebuild? Is it because the majority were black? Or because it is not feasable to rebuild?.

Well, I don't think race is the issue. The city should be rebuilt regardless of what city it is and what kind of people live there, and I think anyone would attest to that. Also, who do you mean by "they"?

It's a stupid idea, building a city below sea level in the first place.

I agree, if you think there is a better way to resolve the current situation, kindly share this with us.

[edit on 17-3-2006 by Liquidus]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquidus
Also, who do you mean by "they"?

I mean 'they' as in the powers that be. Thought i mentioned that before?

Think about things, if this had been a white community, then things would have been a whole lot differant. Look at the all the facts within ATS.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I understand...it's a very complicated issue because of the geography of the area. In order to be safe, the gov't would have to pour a huge amount of cash into rebuilding the levee system to be stronger, but if that's done it's still not clear if businesses and people will want to or be able to return, and if they don't it will have been a waste to build all that infrastructure.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I agree, if you think there is a better way to resolve the current situation, kindly share this with us.

I was meaning when it was origonally created.

I think the whole city, whats left I mean, should be leveled and the whole area turned into a nature preserve of wetlands.

And as for the people, well the government should give them enough money to buy or build a home and restart their life somewhere else, in another city or another state, they choose where, the government gives them the amount they need.

EDIT:
Fixed spelling errors.

[edit on 3/17/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
It's a duty from the government to at least give poeple back their property to those who still want it so I dont think any gvmnt official can just say " o let's just leave it"

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by llfrequencyll
It's a duty from the government to at least give poeple back their property to those who still want it

Of course the gov't can condemn the property. They'd have to in any section where they didn't want to rebuild the levee. Anyway, unless the levees are rebuilt to be much stronger, no one is going to be able to get any insurance or financing to rebuild.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I mean 'they' as in the powers that be. Thought i mentioned that before?

Think about things, if this had been a white community, then things would have been a whole lot differant. Look at the all the facts within ATS.

I beg to differ, I believe that if New Orleans consisted of mainly white residents, then it would not make a difference whatsoever, unless of course you still believe the government is run on racist principles. The response would be the same, although obviously if demographically speaking the white residents had more wealth it would not be this rough for them to start over.

There are many people to blame here obviously including the current administration, but in my personal opinion, none but their own symbolic mayor Ray Nagin shoulders most of the blame. He assures the city is his responsibility and then constantly bashes the Fed's for not providing adequate relief.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Bikereddie, I don't think race is going to enter into the equation.
It's more of an income/insurance thing.

I'm guessing that a lot of these folks did not carry flood insurance and those who did may not have sufficient coverage to rebuild.

I did the flood and rebuild bit and had to pay for all of it myself.
Of course, after the flood the area was labeled a flood plain and Federal flood insurance was required for any major house building or buying loans.

That said, and with all due respect, what happens in your country if you get flooded out?
Does the government automatically come in with grants and or low interest loans or is it all up to you?

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus

So what are these people who want to rebuild...stupid?

I have read the argument that New Orleans shoudnt be rebuilt everyone who has agured this has failed to answer the most obvious question.

Where would the city be relocated to ?
Unless someone can come up with a viable answer to that question the idea of rebuilding New Orleans elsewhere isnt viable.

IMO nature will always coming knocking all we can do is keep damage bill as low as possible and prevent the loss of life. In other humans cant stop natuarl distaers we can only reduce there impact on society.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join