It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Showdown In New Delhi: The IAF Goes Fighter Hunting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The IAF is set to issue a request for proposals to meet its medium multirole combat aircraft. The expected buy is to be anywhere from 100-200 a/c.

Among the contenders are the:

MiG-35
F-18E/F
F-16 Block 50+
Gripen
Rafale
Typhoon

The AWST article seems to indicate that Typhoon reps were met with a "lukewarm" responce due to the cost fo the a/c. However it also pointed out that the Rafale and the F-18 would also be in that boat. The key it seems is going to be what technology comes with the a/c. An AESA radar seems to be a must. The F-16, F-18, and the Grippen all have the capability now with others persuing it currently.

It will be interesting to see how big a role politics plays in this potential large buy. I would suspect that the Mig and the Rafale are DOA unless the governments of thier respective countries give up the farm so to speak to get the contract. In the case of the Rafale, France may do so to sequre its first export customer.

The article can be found here if you have a subscription:
India Actively Pursues New Fighter

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
In an intersting side note: The article also said it was expected that LM would offer the F-22 to Japan as part of thier plan to replace thier F-4's

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I agree this will be a political decision. Something tells me that the Nuclear deal made with the US came with a price and fighter plane seems like the beginning of that.

My candidate is the F/A 18E/F...

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
They`ll go with the MiG ,or a euro canard

i seriously don`t think that unless either the F-35 or F-22 was offered they will not buy american.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by carcharodon
I agree this will be a political decision. Something tells me that the Nuclear deal made with the US came with a price and fighter plane seems like the beginning of that.

My candidate is the F/A 18E/F...

You're right on!
A political decision weighs heavily in favour of the American F-16 (blk 70?) or the F-18. A quid pro quo for the nuclear deal.

But then an important component is the willingness for transfer of technology to India. Knowing America's secrecy where high tech is concerned, they may finally lose the battle. But who knows? Money makes the mare go. And $12 billion for the deal isn't peanuts! So they may throw the secrecy clause out of the window for this deal.

And then another factor against the American offer is RELIABILITY, not of the aircraft but the follow up support. Remember Pakistan was denied spares and 3rd level servicing for their F-16s during critical times, and that nullified to an extent the advantage of this force multiplier?

Like Pakistan, the same could happen to India too! Why should they trust the Americans? There are a few meatballs in the Congress who have this holier-than-thou attitude who would do anything to throw a spanner in the works to ensure suspension of spares/service when required the most.

Then the Indian Air Force will be up sh*t creek without a paddle!!

[edit on 18-3-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I think that the super Hornet would be the best candidate... The Russians clearly aren't on the same level they once where... And I don't think that one fo the biggest countries in the world (looking from population perspective) would buy fighters from a small country from the north (Gripen)... it's just not logical... it could be the Rafaele, but I still think that the Super Hornet will be the winner...

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
I think that the super Hornet would be the best candidate... The Russians clearly aren't on the same level they once where... And I don't think that one fo the biggest countries in the world (looking from population perspective) would buy fighters from a small country from the north (Gripen)... it's just not logical... it could be the Rafaele, but I still think that the Super Hornet will be the winner...

Super Hornet??!!
Nooooooooooooooooo...
Rafale's way better, but too expensive...
I put my money on a split deal with american jazz taking half of it and the MiG-35 walking away with the rest.
But my personal select choice would be a split deal between the Rafale and the MiG-35..
Typhoon.. Only filthy rich arabs can afford that!!

top topics

join