It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey anyone works in IT?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
got a marketing degree. Heres the thing i dont want to work in marketing to be honest. Im gonna try and get on the post graduate MSs in Computing later but i was thinking......

I have a life time of in depth hands on experience with computers, i know so much and have done so many things that i guess i am not far away from IT graduate level. So... im thinking i can always ad on my CV

Qualification: BA Marketing WITH Computing
My dimploma simply states Marketing Administration, but so what i know that we did a number of IT units during the course they did not put that, what im trying to say is if employer asks where is your IT on your diploma i say they sismply did not put all the units that i ve done, they simply say first major. But i will put IT in my CV.

Yeah so im pretty good with IT, i might knot know C++ to a high level or might not be expert in JAVA on the level of Bill Gates but i know IT to a good level, to a level where i believe i CAN work in IT industry.

So what im thinking, i will touch up my CV, and start applying to low skill IT jobs, and of thoses there are planty. Do you think it will work?

ANyone who works in IT whats the present day demand there? Do you REALLY need to know EVERYTHING to work there, i know a bit about networking a bit about programming, i know some databases and a lot of system design, Do you think i might be ok?

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Specialization appears to be the fastest track. Know MS SQL in depth. Know MySQL in depth...manipulating data is crucial (just ask the developer of this site). Bone up on Web services and apps. To rip-off a popular election year slogan..."Its the network stupid." A broad, horizontal skill set seens to be detrimental to IT advancement.

NC

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Experience is the best teacher. If you have the ability to learn quickly and adapt to new issues as they arise, then you would probably do well. Sometimes it gets rough and it's like you've hit a block :bnghd: but when it's resolved it's almost better than sex (for me anyway, but I'm a comlplete dork).

Good luck

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Ok can someone please give me a list of things needed for a ENTRY level IT job.

Such as some C++, some MS SQL, some etc etc ........... you continue, as much details as possible.

Much appreciate your help

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I'm entry level, and have had no experience whatsoever aside from setting up LAN parties at my house.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Entry level what?

I know programming code too, such a C++ and SQL, Java and the like, but I work in a Help Desk setting troubleshooting network connections, printers, and software applications.

There are so many levels of expertise. Ask yourself this:

What can I do everyday for the rest of my life and be HAPPY?

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
You will most likely be fine with your current skills. A lot of BA's don't even work in their own fields from what I have seen, although it would pay more. Below are the current IT market trends.

Help desk/end-user support is the hottest job category within IT departments.

According to executives, the technical skill set most in demand within their IT departments is Microsoft Windows (NT/2000/XP) administration (81 percent of the response). Wireless network management was cited by 52 percent of CIOs, followed by SQL Server management at 49 percent. (Note: Survey respondents were allowed multiple answers.)

When asked which overall job category was experiencing the most growth within their IT departments, the top reply was
help desk/end-user support, with 21 percent of the response. Networking followed at 15 percent and data/database management was third, with 13 percent of the response.
[url=http://www.roberthalftechnology.com/PressRoom?LOBName=RHIC&releaseid=1642]www.rth.com

www.rht.com...

top topics

join