It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Opens Probe Into Deaths of 15 Iraqis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
In November of 2005, 15 Iraqi civilians were killed in an insurgent attack near Haditha in Anbar province. A preliminary investigation showed that there was some reason to believe the Marines may have acted with excessive force. The findings in that investigation have prompted a formal US Military criminal investigation to discover if indeed the Marines acted in retaliation against the 15 women and children.

www.washingtonpost.com
The U.S. military in Iraq has launched a formal criminal investigation into whether Marines reacting to an insurgent attack last November used excessive force that contributed to the deaths of 15 Iraqi civilians, including women and children, who were killed "in the crossfire," U.S. military officials said yesterday.

According to a preliminary investigation, on Nov. 19 insurgents attacked a Marine convoy near Haditha in Iraq's violent Anbar province with a roadside bomb, killing Marine Lance Cpl. Miguel Terrazas, 20, of El Paso. Insurgents then opened fire on the Marines from several locations, and during the battle, eight insurgents and 15 civilians were killed, said a U.S military official knowledgeable about the case, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

After the battle, allegations surfaced that the civilians were killed by the Marines in reprisal. Those allegations prompted Lt. Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli, commander of military Multinational Corps-Iraq, last month to open an initial investigation, which recently concluded its report, the official said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a very serious allegation. I certainly hope the military discovers that the Marines involved are innocent of any wrongdoing. I have to say, though, it doesn't look good.

Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org
www.buffalonews.com

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If true, I wonder how many of these types of incidents don't get investigated...

I agree with you....Let's hope this was just a horrible consequence of the firefight and not an active reprisal as the allegations suggest...

I've had it with the RAMBO mentality that gives the rest of Americans a bad name.... And we wonder why we are so hated...

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I find these actions against the 15 civilians to be horrible. This entire situation makes me sad. I will reserve judgement until the entire matter straightened out, though.

I know one thing: you can't buy this off as "collateral damage".

[edit on 18-3-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I too am sick of the rambo mentality..."machisom is spanish for stupidity in action"
, I also will reserve judgement but I doubt the truth will come out and if a version of it does some little guy will get screwed, not the command. The sad reality is this all war, even a justified war, which this absolutely is not, is evil and this will never change. Let me repeat...ALL WAR IS EVIL. The situitions in war lead to people doing things that they would never do in their civilian lives. We give people training on how to kill, install in them a mentality that prevents them from doing what any sane person should do in a war situition which is run like hell, and give them weapons and put them in harms way and we wonder why they freak out and do stupid and brutal things.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
i mean i agree with you all but i have a problem with this "military investigating ITSELF" thingie, just as i do when the government does it.

One can almost see the results already.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Shades of Mai Lai.

More to come?

...I read a report this morning but didn't save it. US troops herded a group of Iraqi civilians into a room and executed them all - including a 90 year old woman and a 6 month old baby.

War isn't pretty. That's why we have the Geneva Conventions.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
well you know the famous Vietnam quote: kill em all and let god sort them out

SCUM

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
well you know the famous Vietnam quote: kill em all and let god sort them out

SCUM

Actually that quote is from the middle ages...during the Albagesian crusades against the "Heretic's" of southern France, the "crusaders" stormed this town, Tolouse I believe and the citizens both "orthodox" and "heretic" in the local catherdal. When the general in charge of the siege asked the Bishop in charge of the crusade how to tell the true believer from the heretic he was told to "Kill them all, let God sort them out."

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
....phrase was also widely used during the vietnam war in regard to vietcong, since you couldnt say who the enemies were in a Vietnam village...they just killed everybody.

Im sure its still popular...in Iraq for example

[edit on 20-3-2006 by nukunuku]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This reminds me of the white wash thats `Fullajah` - flatten the city with chemical weapons then claim it was for illumination - with reports of thousands of burned civilians.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Here's some more on this. I feel ill after reading about it.

One Morning in Haditha

A group of Marines headed toward the house. Eman says she "heard a lot of shooting, so none of us went outside. Besides, it was very early, and we were all wearing our nightclothes." When the Marines entered the house, they were shouting in English. "First, they went into my father's room, where he was reading the Koran," she claims, "and we heard shots."

According to Eman, the Marines then entered the living room. "I couldn't see their faces very well—only their guns sticking into the doorway. I watched them shoot my grandfather, first in the chest and then in the head. Then they killed my granny." She claims the troops started firing toward the corner of the room where she and her younger brother Abdul Rahman, 8, were hiding; the other adults shielded the children from the bullets but died in the process.

Eman says her leg was hit by a piece of metal and Abdul Rahman was shot near his shoulder. "We were lying there, bleeding, and it hurt so much. Afterward, some Iraqi soldiers came. They carried us in their arms. I was crying, shouting 'Why did you do this to our family?' And one Iraqi soldier tells me, 'We didn't do it. The Americans did.'"

Reformated for easier reading.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
And what good are these investigations? We run investigations by the 1000's and rarely does anyone get in trouble.

This is all BS. Its to give the illusion we care.

Pfffft, investigations!!!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Just adding another reporters story, from the Independent Online.

US troops investigated over Iraqi massacres

Independent Online
By Patrick Cockburn in Arbil
Published: 22 March 2006

Snip
    ~~
    US troops have been notorious among Iraqis for their willingness to shoot any Iraqi they see in the aftermath of an insurgent attack. But it is only now that convincing and detailed information is becoming available about the killings.

In the most recent incident, in the town of Ishaqi north of Baghdad last week, Iraqi police said that US troops had shot 11 people, including five children, in their home. The local police chief, Colonel Farouq Hussein, said that all the dead had been shot in the head, according to autopsies. "It's a clear and perfect crime," he said. In an incident in the town of Haditha in western Iraq on 19 November last year, US soldiers went on a rampage in a village after a bomb attack and killed at least 15 civilians, according to witnesses and local officials cited by Time magazine in an investigation.

The US military first claimed a roadside bomb had killed a US Marine, Miguel Tarrazas, along with 15 Iraqi civilians caught in the blast. Later, a military statement said "gunmen attacked the convoy with small-arms fire" and in returning fire the Marines killed eight insurgents.

But after Time presented the US military with what Iraqis said had happened, an official investigation found that 15 of the civilians had been deliberately killed by US soldiers.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
...I read a report this morning but didn't save it. US troops herded a group of Iraqi civilians into a room and executed them all - including a 90 year old woman and a 6 month old baby.

It's too bad that you didn't save this report, because it is certainly the type of incident that would warrant an investigation.

There have been dozens of innocent civilians executed by the insurgency recently in Iraq. Here's a link to seventy of these executions:

Executions

We can only hope that all of these incidents are investigated also.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Is this perhaps the story you are talking about?

www.realcities.com...

There is one differance and that is the age is as 75 for the lady.

[edit on 3/23/2006 by shots]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Here's another story:

Soldier who killed Iraqi girl in 2004 discharged; no criminal charges filed

The Army has discharged without criminal charges a Schofield Barracks soldier who was involved in the 2004 killing of a 13-year-old girl and wounding of her sister and mother in Iraq.

The investigation found that Waruch, who was with the 1st Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, did not act in a negligent or unlawful manner in the Feb. 18, 2004 shootings and that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute, the Army said.

as the three ran from a roadside bomb attack on a U.S. convoy, 13-year-old Intisar Saleh was shot in the head from a distance of about 200 feet. Her mother was hit and lost a leg, and Intisar's 15-year-old sister was shot in the leg.

Read the bit about the immediate investigation concerning the cow heard...

:shk:

Like I said, how many of these stories are there?

It is my hope that most are untrue...but, I think it likely otherwise...

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Fair is fair:

US troops defend raid, say Iraqis faked "massacre"

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. commanders in Iraq on Monday accused powerful Shi'ite groups of moving the corpses of gunmen killed in battle to encourage accusations that U.S.-led troops massacred unarmed worshippers in a mosque.

"After the fact, someone went in and made the scene look different from what it was. There's been huge misinformation," Lieutenant General Peter Chiarelli, the second-ranking U.S. commander in Iraq, said.

He rejected the accusations of a massacre that prompted the Shi'ite-led government to demand U.S. forces cede control of security but declined to spell out which group he believed moved the bodies.

More...

That's the problem with war.... plenty of disinformation on both sides.

Who to believe???? I have NO CLUE... :shk:

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

"It's a clear and perfect crime,"

...and the "winners" write the "history."

People always have lied and covered up their crimes. But seems to me lies and cover-ups are so common now that truth is dead, not just Iraqis and chickens.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The US marines may face death penalty! That is if they are charged and found guilty.

US marines may face death penalty for "massacre" of civilians in Iraq

May 26, 2006

According to the New York Times "Congressional, military and Pentagon officials" said Thursday that it is expected that an investigation will find that the deaths of more than 20 civilians in Iraq was a war crime. According to NYT source a group of US Marines "carried out extensive, unprovoked killings of civilians" and the killings were "methodical in nature."

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is expected to call for criminal charges, including murder, negligent homicide, dereliction of duty and filing a false report. Lawyers involved in discussions thought it could lead to charges of murder, an offense carrying the death penalty.

new topics

top topics

join