It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military Sexual Assault Reports Up 40%

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Dictionary.com
sexual assault
n.
Conduct of a sexual or indecent nature toward another person that is accompanied by actual or threatened physical force or that induces fear, shame, or mental suffering.

I'm not gonna change my previous post, but I should have used the word assault instead of misconduct.

Anyways, people should keep in mind that there's a huge difference between sexual assault and sexual misconduct. The article is talking about assualt.

Wyrdone, not that I disagree with you, but I thought you were big on rehabilitation and treatment and all that jazz. Should the military be included in that for doing the same sexual assault offences as civilians?

[edit on 17/3/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Shots, sorry, I was agreeing with you but I typed subz by accident. Someone pointed my mistake out to me, and I have corrected it.

Thanks I saw that and thought it was a typo, but be forwarned! Next time I will flog you for such errors

[edit on 3/17/2006 by shots]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I think men and women need to fight side by side screw the gender bull. If one gender is scientifically slower at gaining muscle mass then put them in a special bootcamp for a few months longer to get them buffed up right so they can fight. I have hear sexist comments and its amusing to see the bu#es be the ones who spit it out the most. Frankly if a woman could stand by my side in combat and hold their own over a man then I will take the woman anyday as would most soldiers in combat. You do not put people down based on gender, you do so by requirements when it comes to the military. I am an equalist and I would like to see these anti-women (as in they dont think they should do anything other than make babies or stay at home and work) people be a woman and put up with the same bs they spout, then ask them again what they think.
Sexism in the military is rampant becuase its permitted, plain and simple. Also the failure of commanders to crack down on cases shows there is no motivation for the perpetrators to stop. Why stop when you can get off easy? Only a tiny tiny percentage get put on trial for it, if you stepped it up greatly then there would be less problems.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vekar
Sexism in the military is rampant becuase its permitted, plain and simple. Also the failure of commanders to crack down on cases shows there is no motivation for the perpetrators to stop.

Vekar, do you mean sexual assaults are rampant? The story is about sexual assaults, not sexism.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Wyrdone, not that I disagree with you, but I thought you were big on rehabilitation and treatment and all that jazz. Should the military be included in that for doing the same sexual assault offences as civilians?

Well, I am. Well, not exactly. Let me explain.

I think our society does way too much to create criminal minds. We culture short attention spans, instant gratification, self-obsession, poor impulse control, and greed. So, while rehab is okay for some crimes, it doesn't hold a candle to prevention.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Both sexual assult and sexism are a problem only the assult is more deadly and hazardouse. I am pointing out that there is both assult and sexism and both need to be stopped or else you cannot solve the problem.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto
However it is not right to attack all servicemen as being sexual predators (which articles like this may provoke) because this is seriously not the case.

Do you believe the victims really care? can you imagine the resentment towards the offending parties and does the entire quagmire look less surreal now?

If the answer is yes, the next step is acknowledging two things, first that this is just the tip of the iceberg and sadists will find many ways to please themselves and, more importantly, that all of these good 'ole boys will be back home before long, most likely still itching for victims to have their ways with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join