It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing: White, attractive women and the news

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm not going to split hairs on this. 75.1% of the nation is "white", I believe this does play a role in the news coverage...it makes sense that it would.

-- Boat

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think it's a layover of the white woman trophy.

Ya know, the thing where it was the job of the noble, good white man to protect the white woman as she sits on her pedestal from the evil, savage black man. Any means of protecting the trophy (hanging, beating, torturing, etc.) was acceptable. Just take a look at how noble the Klan was in Birth of a Nation...

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
You and I tend to be pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum on many issues but I must agree with you on this one. I think you are right on target ..in the bulls eye on this issue.

I too am sick of this story. While I feel for any parent who loses a child. I knew from the begining that this story was not front page news.

I dont often listen to him but someone was doing a interview with Matt Drudge while on my way home from work one night. They mentioned this Natalie Holloway issue. Matt's response was. ...Greta will be doing this story two years from now. I laughed my head off. Probably not a good response to the seriousness of this family's loss but his point was right on. The familys loss is a very serious issue...but the handling of it by the news media is a insult to my thinking process. I think the news media have been taking to big a bite out of thier Hollywood/Nashville type transient value systems and attempting to get us to forfit over to this cheap system. Some of us I am happy to see can see further than thier transient claptrap.

I remember that story of that woman in San Francisco...who was pregnant and her body washed up...her head limbs etc missing. Her husband was tried and convicted for the murder. It was plastered all over the media for over a year. While tragic..I did not think this was front page news for so long either. Laci Peterson is the name as I recall.
Come to find out there was another pregnant woman washed up in the same pattern ..dismembered..and the media hardly covered it ..She was a hispanic woman as I recall. Only in limited amounts did this other similar murder turn up.

Great post and great point dgtempe.
Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I've never seen birth of a nation.

Not all of us are stuck in a time warp.

And you are not going to stick us in one either.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I forgot to add...

Not all of us are stuck in a time warp..

The media is not going to stick all of us in a time warp either. Neither is public education.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I agree with shadow on this. It is about the money. Many people suffer in the most horrible ways and it is not reported. But the rain shower on monday or best soccer team is of top priority. I go throw up now and cry to sleep.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Ok, orangetom, I'm stuck in a time warp?

Whatever. I just put out my opinion on this issue. But, since you bring it up, that whole "those were the times" thing is crap, especially when stuff a whole lot worse than slanted media coverage goes on.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Thanks for your post.

That .."Those " were the days stuff is crap. I agree. I dont approve of the Klan mentality either. I just dont approve of your method of sticking this issue in a time warp when making your points. Ive seen you do this over and over and over.
In like manner...I dont approve of the method of the media merchandizing public opinion in the blatenet manner they do in the case of these murdered women while ignoring other murders...this is tabloid journalism. I can get this at the check out stands at the drug store/grocery check out.
I am just not intrested in it.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well.....it's more of an economic issue that a racial one imo. You know just recently they made a big deal out of Emmette,I can't remember her last name, she was hispanic. Why did they make a big deal out of her murder? Well.....her beauty and affluence of course. It's more about appearance and wealth than it is about race,to be honest.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Orangetom, I guess you and me have different situations.

I live with the racism crap, not on a daily basis, but on a regular enough basis that you realize it is alive and well. I'm going out on a limb, but I'm guessing you are not accustomed to approaching a situation when you are in the presence of strangers in a friendly manner, only to have them look, act, or even say things that are blatantly racist.

I'll bet you are not that familiar with the feeling that someone is looking at you as if you are not even human. It's hard to explain, but it's a certain body language, especially the eyes and how they look at you. This even happens in professional situations. Then, the city I live in has cops that are obviously not minority friendly. There are cases when unruly European American suspects are shot with rubber bullets, but minorities are almost always shot with hot lead. One guy was tased to death a few months ago.

So, sue me if my experiences alter my thoughts on this whole issue. I can see your view on my comments, but it is what it is.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Orangetom, I guess you and me have different situations.

I live with the racism crap, not on a daily basis, but on a regular enough basis that you realize it is alive and well.

So do many other races. I am white and experience racism frequently. I have been the victim of seperate physical attacks because I am a white woman.. guess what? It didn't make the papers.

[edit on 28-3-2006 by riley]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Yes racism is like the common cold, everyone gets some of it, and it sucks!

The crazy thing is when you are beaten and robbed and you are just as poor as
the people who are beating and robbing you, its like
"Hey can't we all just get along and go beat and rob some rich people?"
Its not like they are going to really miss whats in their wallet,
they can afford the health care, the psychiatrist, and they probably deserve it.

I'm just joking about beating and robbing the rich people, they are for eating.

Back on topic.
Uh yeah, this "oh god another missing white chick" stuff is trash tv, they are really desperate for "news".

Here's the solution: The Missing Person Channel, 24/7 missing persons reports
from your local area , with the occasional special alert music and information
on the most recent freshly reported incident.

That might actually make a difference, people might just kick back
watch that without the sensationalist crap and the commercials
and say "Holy Bejeezoo, I saw that kid at the supermarket sitting in the car with that minister guy!!!"

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have been subjected to racism. I consider the source and go on.
I work with alot of minoritys in this occuptation of shipbuilding. I trust them with my life and safety not because they are minoritys..but because they are trustworthy...because they are capable. They have demonstrated this to me and others many times over the years. Mind you now..when a new person comes in they are not given a free pass to play through they too must prove themselves..not because they are or are not a minority..but because of the nature of the work in which we are involved. Their race counts for nothing here. Understand. In this line of work..you either have what it takes or you dont ..if you dont ..get the heck out of my face and out of my way. Thats just the way it is. I am particular about the person working next to or with me..not because of race..but because of potential. Thats just the way it is ..come up to the mark or get out of my way. I respect these people not because of race..but because I know they have the right stuff...where it counts....when your hind parts are on the line. Understand?? I dont change this way I think because I put my hardhat in my locker when I finish my shift. This thinking stays with me even at home.
I am thinking you must live in a fairly sizable city. I live in a city here in Virginia. It is getting to big and high speed for me and is begining to get the big city baggage which accompanys this phenomonon. I dont see racism here in the manner you describe. I am not saying it doesnt exist...but I just dont see it. Perhapsed this is because I work the back shifts..less people around. I prefer this shift. Midnights by choice but now I am on the second shift. I cant wait to get back to midnights...simply because there are less people. I am not much of a daywalker. I prefer the nights.
By the way..concerning the police..I am aware that fewer and fewer people are trying out for this job as a career. Citys and towns are begining to have great difficulty getting qualified applicants for these jobs and with a good job market people are going elsewhere for employment when compared to the risks in this occupation. Many citys will have to lower thier standards or up the pay. This is a potential breeding ground for the racism you describe.
I need to tell you that I do understand from where you are coming in your post. I also need you to understand that it does not necessarily get a free pass with me..I just dont always agree with your method. I dont think this way in my daily routine. I dont want to think this way. I give a person the benifit of the doubt until they demonstrate differently.

Thanks for your post truthseeka,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join