It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

help required , batch conversion from scanner

page: 1

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:45 AM
hi , due to a bit of muppetry , and using the wrong settings - i have scanned 100s of images - and now they are in the wrong format

my equipment is :

a zerox - 2400 scanner

paper port 8.0SE

so all the files are now in the proprietary format of " paper port file " - and can only be opened bt the paper port app

now how do i get them converted to jpeg , or other format - without doing each one by hand , as it were

at the moment - i can select a single fole , and convert it - but i also have to confirm what quality i want - so doing all , one at a time - is going to be a ball ache .

if i try to select multiple files - it says " this function is unavailiable "

so is there any quick and easy way - i can get the entire folder full of files , converted to a more user freindly format , in one click ?

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 08:38 AM
You can google for whatever the file extension is. If it's "ppf" (for example) search for something like "ppf converter jpeg jpg gif" Should find something halfway useful.

After rereading your post--you say you used the wrong settings to do the scans. Can you get your files out the way you want using the "right" settings? If you can't find a converter, it might be easiest just to rescan them instead of opening each one.

[edit on 3/17/2006 by MCory1]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 10:12 AM
First, try with your Paperport 8.0SE software if you can "export" or "save as" your images in JPEG format.

Otherwise try with ImageMagick ( it includes a command line named "convert" to change a file from one format to another. I did not find your "paperport file" format in the supported list ( but if you are lucky it may simply be a TIFF format or something, you can download a version for Windows.

For example in MS-DOS you would type "convert filename.bmp filename.jpg" replace BMP with your file format.

I don't know how to batch that command under Windows, but under Linux I would put the hundreds files in the same directory and launch a Bash shell script like this.

for old in *.bmp; do
        new=$(echo $old|sed "s/\.bmp/\.jpg/g")
        convert $old $new
exit 0

[edit on 17-3-2006 by ufia]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 11:26 AM

Originally posted by ignorant_ape all the files are now in the proprietary format of " paper port file " - and can only be opened bt the paper port app....

Does the manufacturer of the software you're using have a web site? How about customer support? Maybe they can help. Their may be a way to batch convert your files, and possibly you just don't know..? Just a thought.

new topics

top topics