It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undeletable files >_<

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I have a folder that says access to two files is denied when I try to delete it, so I can't delete anything in that folder. I also have two copies of the same file that my computer says are in use when I try to delete or edit them. This happens even in Safe Mode and on any computer I try (the folder is on an external drive).

Yes, these are my files that I put there on purpose, not random ones or possible viruses. And yes, I have made sure they are not read only.

Is there anything short of using DOS prompts that can delete them? If not, can someone walk me through using DOS to get rid of the stupid things?

Thanks

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
You can download a free program called "Unlocker". It will close all processes using the files so that you can delete the file.

ccollomb.free.fr...

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
WinXP:
Upon startup, press "F8", boot to "Safe Mode", login as Administrator.

Navigate to, and delete, the respective files, folders, etc.

Click "Start", Right-Click on "My Computer" select "Properties". Click on the "System Restore" tab and place a check in "Turn off system restore". Click "Apply", Click "OK". (OK/YES to any confirmation screens)

[system restarted]

Go here and perform a full system scan. Remove any/all detections. Restart computer.

Return System Restore to normal function.

Please post any/all questions and/or concerns.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Well, if none of that helps... Here's the last option: The DOS road...
I'm going to assume that you're using XP.

Also on start-up press F8 repeatedly - such as you would do to get the Safe Mode option. One of the options should be "Command Prompt Only". Choose that one and XP won't load. (If it isn't one of the options, then you'll have to create a MS-DOS boot disk - but it's unlikely so we'll skip this step for now.) I'll type everything you need to type in quotes.

When the start-up is finished you should be looking at a black screen with this on it:

C:\>

If not, then type:

"cd\"

Which should result in

C:\>

For the example we'll say that the two files are "dummy1.bat" and "dummy2.dll" in the folder C:\Program Files\Hidden\ ... Thus the following commands will only serve as example. You must change the folder names to the ones in your case.

Now type next to the command prompt:

"cd Progra~1"

Where cd stands for change directory.
This should result in:

C:\Progra~1>

If you're wondering why we're typing "Progra~1" and not "Program files", DOS can only handle 8 characters as filename or directory name. That's why we take only the first 6 characters and a tilde and a number. This is just for info - no need to really understand this part.

Next type:

"Cd Hidden"

Which should result in

C:\Progra~1\Hidden>

Now you are in the folder you want to be. In your case there might be more or less subfolders. Use "cd [foldername]" to go "down a level to a subfolder and "cd .." to go up a level. Keep in mind that you can't use more than 8 characters for a folder name. If you're having troubles getting to the folder you want to be, give me the exact Folder address such as it appears in windows, and I'll give you the correct commands to browse to the folder.

Now type:

"del dummy1.bat"

and then

"del dummy2.dll"

In both cases you'll be asked for confirmation to delete the files. Remember there's no Recycle Bin. When you delete them, they're gone for good.

If at any stage you get a "Bad command or filename" response, then you typed something wrong.

Best would be to give the exact folder name and file names to give you precise instructions. Also there is some folders you will not have access to, even in DOS mode.

Hope you get it fixed.

[edit on 17-3-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Wow it's been a while. I hate to resurrect such an ancient thread, but I finally took care of most of the rogue files - all I needed to do was run Chkdsk from the command prompt. The other problem is a file that claims it's in use and can't be deleted. Also, the Unlocker worked for some files though not all.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

top topics

join