It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a good feeling about ATS...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
With the new episodes of drama inspired by that nameless Internet UFO topic that most likely is a complicated hoax in large or small part, I thought it appropriate to take a step back and consider why we're all here... members and staff alike.

Over the past three years, ATS has experienced unprecedented growth.

Why?

From time to time, we get modest or even significant criticism for not using our massive influence to take an official stance on important ideals. Some of them are:
- anti-establishment movements
- 9/11 truth movement
- the disclosure project
- FOIA drives
- and many more
We graciously and rapidly accept discussion of all of these, but reject calls-to-arms just as quickly. We are not about action.

Why?

There are many more aggressive "alternative" sites that overlap our topics in one way or another. In many cases, they perform an exceptional service as they dig deep into one particular subset of conspiracy, UFO, government, or other secret topics.
We graciously and rapidly accept discussion of all of these ideas, but reject a narrow focus. We are not about one-sided debate.

Why?

There are even pockets of singularly brilliant small groups of researchers with spectacular theories emerging from amazingly fertile environments.
We graciously and rapidly embrace these concepts, but reject the theories of an incest birth. We are not about lonely speculation.

Why?

Nearly three years ago, we adopted the motto of "Deny Ignorance." Never a marketing slogan, it is a condensation to an economy of words that describes our complex essence.

Deny Ignorance is not a call to action.

Deny Ignorance is not an inspiration for a singular point of view.

Deny Ignorance is not about quiet contemplation of serious problems.

Deny Ignorance is not about answering all the questions. We aspire to more than just answers. We know that answers are never the end.

We don't want our members to take action. We don't want our members to rally in the streets. These are merely the surface tremors of change. The deep magma that inspires change are the questions. We fortunate few who come here to deny ignorance have learned that finding the questions is monumentally more important than learning the answers.

That is denying ignorance, never giving up on asking new questions.

And it seems, based on our rising popularity, more and more people are learning that here, it is different. How could anything ever make more of a difference than that?

Deny Ignorance

Deny Ignorance.

This motto has life. It has purpose. It demands ATS members to think.
It is a state of mind.

It is a sense of purpose.

It is a statement agaisnt the paradigm.

It is a rage against the mindless status-quo.

The idea of "deny ignorance" isn't a goal that ATS hopes to accomplish. Instead, it's a challenge. A call to all those who come here to aspire to a higher state of awareness through informed discussion and debate.

Deny ignorance is what we do.

It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen.

Ignorance is the creeping crud of history that has clouded our minds and dulled our brains. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance.

We deny it. it's not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength.

Here, ignorance is denied.

[edit on 16-3-2006 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
This is very true. The journey is far more important than the destination, for it will teach you more than your arrival at the end ever will.

Besides, at 45 i'm not about to go protest in the streets or anything like that. Those actions are for the young firebrands that want to change the world.

I'll just say what I have to say and learn what I need to learn and if it changes the world, good. If it doesn't, thats just fine too.

Besides, if this site was trying to call me to arms or get me to join a movement or demanded I take action against some threat that it percieved, I wouldn't be here.

Wupy

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I was waiting for a thread with this title.

I enjoy my time on ATS and well... that makes me feel good.

ATS has been a red pill of sorts for me. Here I have been exposed to so many things I would have never heard of without ATS.
I've met a lot of cool people here and have a sense of belonging.
Yup, good feeling.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'm with Umbrax, I was expecting to see a thread titled similiarly.

I just came back from a little break, where for a few months I tried staying off forums boards, but I finally realized that I love it here just too much. The topics are great, the people are great, regardless of the occasional drama, this place is where I like to be. I hope it's around for another long while, and I'd be glad to help keep this place the way it is.

Thanks,
for making it great.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Long before I became a moderator, I was a lurker and a member and during that time and even now, I am amazed by the ATS and it's ability to bring together so many unique and beautiful minds. This place has truly become a home, a community with many wonderful neighbors, some of which I built great friendships with. But even though this site serves as an outlet for me to express myself and spew my drivel, I find that it is a place where I come to listen, to learn, to read and deny my ignorance.

You see I got hooked on the motto Deny Ignorance, it's that motto that drives me to do what I do and be who I am. No one can say they know it all or are that they have the only perspective on an issue, and by coming here, I get to see all those perspectives, combine it with my own and get a much better picture of what is really going on. Sometimes I'm surprised to know that I had the right idea all along, other times I'm disappointed to find that what I thought to be something wasn't really something after all, but in neither situation, do I allow myself to dwell because the need to know more and the motto Deny Ignorance drives to me click on that next thread.

This is truly a unique place on the web, and just so you know exactly how much the term "Deny Ignorance" and this site means to me, read this Moderator's Musings

and for those who don't know I get "feelings" about things, and I feel good about ATS, btw I don't have good feelings about the next two weeks for the world, politics and nature looks pretty

hope you're all paying attention.

I'm an idiot
shhhh you saw nothing.

[edit on 3-16-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Our SO has an enlightened moment ladies and gentle men

Actually it even sounds like poetry.

I am feeling inspired by this nice words and worldwatcher that is a very personal and honest post you got there.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well said SkepticOverlord, quite well said.

It's not about ridiculously open-minded belief, or ridiculously closed-minded skepticism, nor is it even about a fine balance in between. It's simply about observing everything around you and being aware, and deciding for yourself. Lots of people strive to believe, ATS strives to know.

I guess that's why I've still stuck around

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
So this feeling you got, how big is it? Is it just a big feeling or a huge feeling? How often are you right about feelings like this? I cant believe you left that out, its important.

I have been going to abovetopsecret for awhile now. I havent been registered that long but I have been lurking for close to two years. I dont post much either but for this I will. I think this site has done something really great and I dont think there is anything that can compare to it.

I really like how you can take any topic here and get every possible perspective on it. I like how the people here are so skeptical and determined for answers. The people here are dedicated too, alot of the members go out of thier way to keep this place number one. Sure there are topics here that are way out there, theres alot of it. For any other website those topics would undermine is credibility. But Im always impressed by how I can rely on other members to seperate false information from the truth. So, I got a good feeling about ats too, and if you are government I still dont care.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Aww, SkepticOverlord.

I love it when you talk philosophy.

Gives me strength.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I've been a member here for more than three years, and I've seen most of the changes SO mentions first hand.

I'm still here because ATS is still what it was when I went looking for it, when I found it, and when I first posted in it.

ATS IS the only place on the internet where you have a true, unbiased, outlet with no agenda where you can present the wildest of theories and questions, and still be treated with a degree of respect. If you present your argument/story/theory in a cohesive and polite manner you will be listened to, no matter how crazy it is and you will gain access to some of the best minds on the internet to help you.

At the same time, and equally as important, if you attempt to defraud the membership, you will equally find yourself up against some of the best minds on the internet.

It’s not for cry babies.

You can even have an actual constructive argument with those of the opposite political persuasion to you!

Heh.

Seriously. Try it. You might like it. And learn something.

The hoaxers, conmen, money makers and the rest that make up the bottom feeders of the internet find that package hard to handle.

That’s just tough cheese.

ATS is there for just that that reason, to collectively weed out those weasels.

Every single change to ATS I've seen has went through a stringent process with senior staff/council members and/or the general membership. In my time here I have never seen any arbitrarily imposed change. The opposite is nearer the truth. Pretty much every change to ATS is made as a result of input from the membership.

As long as the internet exists, I’ll still be here for another three years.

[edit on 16-3-2006 by kegs]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Just in case any one missed it.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Happy Holi to Bollywood Babe.

I agree this is a great site. There is a magnitude of information on this site. Members who participate in these forum, i think are some of the best and provide very good information. There will be some who will hold quite strong to their points and will go to long lengths to argue their point correct. I would call that constructive discussion rather than focusing on the cruelty of words used at times. Along with the Good comes the Bad, it is part of every deal and i would encourage new members like myself to indulge in the topics and provide their thoughts on issue, which affects us all in this global village, though we choose to believe the paranormal or the mysteries.

To summon it up, i would say, this site would be a one stop spot to get general information from the mysteries which one was thinking of but had no information of or the things happening around the world or even weird things in the world. One of the best sites and must acknowledge the great work done by the ATS team. Reason for the complement is especially when you see the situation getting messy in discussions which is usually caused by racist comments or country loyality, someone from the ATS team definately monitors the thread and stops the offensive language.

I have definately mentioned about this site to a number of my friends and cant find a reason not to promote it.

Good luck to you all.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I just want to say that I've now made that "Deny Ignorance" my computer backdrop... To me, the months since signing on with ATS have been a major growing period - with all of the growing pains that go along with that.

Quite a few have followed my posts (which surprised me) and I've gotten private messages ranging from "WATS" Votes with a thanks for my writing, at one extreme - all the way to the other extreme where one of my favorite posters (quickly now becoming a friend) making the comment to me after a recent debate "I've never seen so much a'flippen and a floppin' in my life!"

And he's absolutely right...I've learned that on ATS, members here are quick to point out ignorance when they see it. Some people aren't thick-skinned enough to understand that these are not personal attacks - they are long-time members here carrying out that creed....to deny ignorance.

And most importantly, some of the best writing I've seen in this forum are from members who have the ability to realize when they are wrong and accept that - and change their mind. This, to me, is the ultimate example of denying ignorance - to have the ability to deny your own ignorance and allow yourself to grow, gain knowledge, and advance to the next level of understanding the world and the people in it.

Or...stated much better than I ever could say it:

"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant."
-Amos Bronson Alcott

Thanks to all of you, not only for being intelligent and well-written, but for being willing to share your thoughts, and to accept the thoughts of others as well.

This is an amazing place - and I really look forward to many years of membership, and getting to know you all.

All my respect,
-Ry

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I enjoy comming on this this site,ever open minded individuals that aren't tool's of the govt,seems if you bring up a conversation about the things in the world today I'm thought of as a nut,people here figure as long as cable TV works and they watch Fox news all is wellI'm biggest skeptic there is,but I do test truth from fiction,I also believe in the truth being stranger than fiction,look forward every day to new topic

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
SkepticOverlord, I Disagree!

Well, actually I don't in this case, but it's nice to know I can.

I'm veteran of all sorts of discussion forums in a variety of formats, from old dial-up BBS's (and Saimin!) to telnet chats/MUDs (and DuneMUSH, baby) to USENET (alt.conspiracy represen'in' old school!) to IRC (#*) to the precursors of what are now the ubiquitous forum websites.

I haven't seen it all, but I've seen a lot.

And in almost two decades of electronic discussion, I've never seen anything quite like ATS. It is truly unique, and in a surprisingly vast number of ways.

ATSers have common interests, but with an uncommon degree of variation. Most forums I know don't attract such a diverse array of people (although you'd be surprised how many different kinds of people are haibane fans
), and it is this peculiar heterogeneity that makes ATS so appealing to me.

If I wanted to hang around with people who agree with me all the time, I'd go find a political board with strict ideological controls and blend in. Again.

But ATS doesn't require this. It is far and away one of the most tolerant environments for differing opinions I have ever found anywhere.

My friends, ATS is a very unique place indeed!

Our Differences Unite Us

We come here for different reasons, as well we should, but I seriously doubt any of us would keep coming back if we didn't think the time we spend here was worthwhile.

I don't come to ATS to change the world. I come to ATS to change myself.

In just a year and a half, I've learned more here than I could have imagined was possible.

Aside from the fact that so many ATSers are truly brilliant and exceptionally well-informed, the range of subjects and the ways in which they fit together result in discussions which are nothing short of inspiring.

Over time, my feelings about ATS have changed often, and my interest waxes and wanes seemingly with the seasons.

But I'm still hooked.

ATS remains fresh because it doesn't dictate opinions. Rather, it provides an environment in which they can flourish.

That's the winning formula, and that's what keeps me coming back.

I, too, have a good feeling about ATS...

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
TV puts me to sleep.

ATS is better than caffeine.

There are lots of interesting stories and ideas to keep me entertained and wonder if that story could be true.
for ATS

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I've said it before and I will say it again and again; I am very grateful to ATS for providing me with an outlet for discussing the things I don't understand, or the things I do understand that trouble me and seem to have a profound affect on my life. To put into words the confusion fogging my view of the world, and get feedback from informed individuals from all over that world, is priceless to me. To cruise New Posts and My ATS and see a topic I've wondered about or have a simple or vested interest in, and be able to dive right in and get the benefit of other members' experience and network the links and substantiation provided is, again, priceless.

To have my physical world shrink to the size of my home and neighborhood due to my back injury, but still be able to jump on ATS and have the virtual world at my fingertips means more to me than I can say. My eternal, heartfelt thanks goes out to the three amigos for putting this site together and keeping it up and running. I don't post anywhere else, and I don't plan to start anytime soon.

I really did think the explosion in popularity started with my arrival the day before Christmas '04, though. I do bring a gritty, no nonsense, down to earth, expose the facts though the heavens may fall approach to the place, don't I? Or is that just another mistaken impression I need ATS to dispel?

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

From time to time, we get modest or even significant criticism for not using our massive influence to take an official stance on important ideals. Some of them are:
- anti-establishment movements
- 9/11 truth movement
- the disclosure project
- FOIA drives
- and many more

Which one is the most important conspiracy theory for you?

We graciously and rapidly accept discussion of all of these, but reject calls-to-arms just as quickly. We are not about action.

Action? the word of action may be diferent so I dont understand because you did not explain, action by violence??? or action by doing a project, action by pushing people forward to get some kind of a word out.
Call to arms can be metaforic and does not necesarly relate to weapons, for example u'r weapon can be a pencil.
I can go to the media for example and convince them to play a tape, this is also action.
I dont think you are being honest at least to say your words do not explain alot of details.
You could of said "we dont want to instigate to violence"
But in stead you said something like"we dont want any one to do anithing and this is our message"
Well this is the only place where people can do something not by violence but by doing something, if a member starts a thread for example the thread souds like "mail NBC 1000 letters" how do you respond to that?
I dont know what to make out of your message, it's fuzzy and it sort of puts out people that are not violent but wants to do something, to give it a try by any means exept violence.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I think from a creator of this websites point of view, the points which he has raised is justed. They are not about action.

The reasons are obvious, as you have mentioned what would happen if someone did something like post a thread saying, all americans go to war...it is a thread which orginate and sturred the emotions of the readers and God Bless intellectually and if people do believe the case, and if an uprising does happen ATS will be held responsible. Hence the effective use of moderators and i guess administrators. In such an instance you and myself will go about our business, but these guys will be in a lot of trouble. Hence I encourage the Creators/Maintainers of this website to do what they are doing. Great Job.

This is an open discussion forum. It is a great site to discuss issues and to reseach and gain better understanding to things which we did not know.
If there is action, to be done, i would recommend to gain information from the website, discuss it and if you really want to make a change and take action, the world is a democracy and each of us has a right to raise our voice.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledge23
I think from a creator of this websites point of view, the points which he has raised is justed. They are not about action.

The reasons are obvious, as you have mentioned what would happen if someone did something like post a thread saying, all americans go to war...it is a thread which orginate and sturred the emotions of the readers and God Bless intellectually and if people do believe the case, and if an uprising does happen ATS will be held responsible. Hence the effective use of moderators and i guess administrators. In such an instance you and myself will go about our business, but these guys will be in a lot of trouble. Hence I encourage the Creators/Maintainers of this website to do what they are doing. Great Job.

This is an open discussion forum. It is a great site to discuss issues and to reseach and gain better understanding to things which we did not know.
If there is action, to be done, i would recommend to gain information from the website, discuss it and if you really want to make a change and take action, the world is a democracy and each of us has a right to raise our voice.

First I'll say that I'm against any form of violence.
You do got a point that in case some one decides to play rambo yes ATS will take the blame.

someone did something like post a thread saying, all americans go to war

I dont want any one to get the rong idea, I had in mind something else like pojects that will not brake the law and will not resort to violence.
How ever you a right once again even doing something legal can atract a
bad out come for the owners of this site, the gov will do about just anithing to stop it.
As we speak we are already paranoid that their spying on us right now.
So you can see even the owners of ats know this site is being monitored
at least they fear it like the rest of us.
It's frear imposed by bush and his budys, he's a true bully what can I say.
It takes guts to do something(by any means legal) in United States, the out come can be that you can be kidnaped of the street by who knows what black car with man dresed in black.
I know ATS oners worry and fear an out come such as this so do we, wellcome to the land of the free, where your freedom can be 8 sqare meeters.
I dont live in United States but I grew up there and I trully care about that country, and soon I'm geting back there, it's funny, I have more freedom in est europe where about 20 years ago you could not say a single thing and now you can bash the goverment in any way and not worry at all.
I am not saying ATS should do something, am saying that they can do something if they want to of course at a risk of being harased.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join