It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Republicans shoot down VA bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The senate in a party line vote shot down any increase of spending for the Veterans mediacal services, that have incidently been named as one of the best systems (and financial deals) in the country. Only Lincoln Chafee of Vermont chose to buck the party line.

bobgeiger.blogspot.com
In case you missed it in the Senate yesterday, Daniel Akaka (D-HI) proposed a bill to increase Veterans medical services funding by $1.5 billion in fiscal year 2007 and Republicans shot it down with extreme prejudice.
The kiss of death for America’s Veterans was the fact that the additional funding was to be paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes, which ensured that the GOP-dominated Senate would take care of its corporate donors before worrying about those who truly serve our nation.
The 46-54 vote was entirely down party lines, with all Democrats voting for the Veterans medical care funding and every Republican but Lincoln Chafee (R-RI) voting against it.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am a veteran and proud of it. I belong to the DAV and support their efforts to educate veterans about what the congress is doing (or not doing) for them. The hypocricy of this stinks to high heaven. The party that accuses us liberals and Democrats of being soft on defense, sticks it again and again to the very people who honorably do the dirty work for this administration (and sometimes this country). You always hear how the military fares better under the Republicans, and in many ways this is true, but, veterans fare better under Democrats, and those are two different things. It is bad enough that they promise us one thing upon enlisting and then take it away as soon as they can, but at least they could take care of those who have done the bleeding for this country...but then again this is an old story.

Related News Links:
www.disinfo.com

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Yet another example of republicans giving more priority to corporate America over the American people.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
If you are going to use the likes of Daniel Akaka to sell your "Republicans suck when taking care of Veterens," you might want to reconsider. As a vet myself, grover, I can care less who I "fair better under," as long as the services are maintained, in what way that they are--with their ups and downs. Further, considering how far off and left wacky Daniel Akaka is, it bothers me not that this Veteren's bill was put down.

Personally, the link to that particular blog is sensationalizing this matter, which you are seemingly using bread to soak up. Partisan politics are at play, and I find it quite interesting that you simply cite this article to prove that veteren's fair better under Democrats and not Republicans. You might want to do some research for Bill Clinton was notorious for not giving a crap about veterens or the military.....but certainly this was not mentioned by you in your stance, among other unmentioned Democrat veteren hypocrisy, eh?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Yes my husband gave me the great news about the bill, is a shame taking in consideration that Iraq is creating and increasing the amount of soldiers that will be needing long term care from injuries do to the fact that many are very young.

I guess veterans are not truly worth it when it comes to make their life easier.

Keep fighting for you country soldiers but don't let the bullet hit you.

BTW my husband is also a veteran.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I agree 100% with what you are bringing to light, grover.

The political warn is because you politicized it and put it in ATS. You cannot have it both ways.

As a vet, I am very angry about these slaps the vets continue to take after, of all people, they have earned their social assistance like no other.

As a son of one who served much better than I did, I am more than angry. I am very saddened.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I agree 100% with what you are bringing to light, grover.

The political warn is because you politicized it and put it in ATS. You cannot have it both ways.

As a vet, I am very angry about these slaps the vets continue to take after, of all people, they have earned their social assistance like no other.

As a son of one who served much better than I did, I am more than angry. I am very saddened.

I am at a loss as how to write about this without it being political when the whole issue is. When injured veterans are being billed for food (until they complain to their congressman, this has happened several times) when the bush white house has ordered counselors advising discharged veterans NOT to advise them of their benefits, if they don't know them already and most importantly when both Bush and the congressional Republicans continually make political hay on the backs of our servicemen then refuse to fund the one major benefit remaining for serving as to not harm some poor multi billion dollar corporation, how can it not be political, and dispite apologists to the contrary, outrageous?

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well what do they care? Bush isn't a veteran, neither is Cheney, or Rove, or Gonzalez, or Jeb Bush, or any other top ranking republican, except for John McCain who is hated because he doesn't support torture.

Is it sad that the only republicans who don't support the Iraq war were the ones who fought in a war? The ones who don't support torture are the POWs who were tortured? Of course Bush&Co would have no idea about war since the closest they ever came to it was playing Risk on the computer.

Like I have said before, why go into the army to pay for college, you can't be in college and dying in Iraq, Iran, Syria, or Jordan at the same time.

new topics

top topics

join