It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALICE bot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Apologies to those that saw this thread earlier and I removed it.

I've just spent a few good hours with one of these and I must say It was really good fun.

Awesome, I'd like to thank whoever led me there. It was like being in a sci-fi novel.

Anyone else ever had this experience ?

And what do people think about the idea that a program which could accumulate such conversations leading to AI ?

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Wow I must have blinked because I have no idea what you are referring to.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I love ALICE.
When the movie A.I. came out it's website linked to ALICE and I had a good time playing with "her"

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
So, either of you like to provide a link?

This "ALICE" thing sounds interesting.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Sorry I didn't notice there was no link in the original post.
www.alicebot.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Alice is pretty interesting.... it can be a sort of nutty experience. definitely cool and one to check out

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Alice is good, but boring after a while.

I like to use Hal .
You can communicate in plain English with the use of a mic.

It is also very adaptable, in that you can program it easily to open files, play music, find information and a hell of a lot more.

The more you talk to Hal, the more intelligent it becomes.

I'm not going to stick a full on sales pitch down on here (I have nothing to do with Hal, I am just a happy user) , just give it a try. There is a 30 day no restrictions demo available at the site. Have a look at the forum while your there and you'll see how many different ways in which you can use Hal.

Enjoy..

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I tried Alice and its silliness was obvious from the first two lines. I also tried another one which you could speak to it with a mic, with the same results. Also the human synthesized voices were terrible; it remind me of Amiga's speech program 20 years ago.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Dear old Alice... I first encountered the code in 1980, and wrote a very simple AI type program inspired by it in 1982 or so. I did do an Alicebot for awhile, and considered using one to supplement online courses. I dabbled with it as a vehicle for delivering relatively smart support of technical issues (first line of defense before calling a tech.)

It's been a surprisingly durable program.

AI programs can be hard to detect for the first few minutes of an encounter. The "normal conversation" types are fairly hard to program convincingly. However, I suspect other types of chatbots might be harder to detect. I know someone who wrote a rather fractious chatbot program and inserted it into a MUD and got a number of people yelling and arguing with it, thinking it was a real person. The insults that the chatbot threw out often triggered rage and outrage, and at that point the person's logic circuits seemed to short out.

top topics

join