It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's Seal Hunt to Get Under Way

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Seal Fur Products

Designers Gucci, Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, Prada all use seal fur.

Who buys seal pelts?

Pelt prices are at their highest in years, and furriers and fashion moguls are attempting new marketing directions to revise the once struggling industry.

WHO BUYS THE PELTS?

The following are the country-by-country seal skin export statistics from Industry Canada . The numbers are the "raw" seal skin exports in Canadian dollars.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nakash
Those are natives, they have the right to sell seal fur products, there is no huge fur industry for seal fur, it stopped in the 70's, I am positive on this one. Positive. I live in Canada and never see anybody wearing seal fur.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Nakash]

What? Those are not natives! Just because you don't see people wearing seal products...that means nothing. I live in St. John's, Newfoundland...a city in Canada...and there are furriers here who sell produsts made from seal fur...and non-natives buy them, and wear them. You are right there isn't a huge market here, but trust me, it exists. Seal fur is legally sold to the public.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
There was actually a big stink over this in 2004 because they were training Girl Scouts how to kill seals.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
cnews.canoe.ca...

It would appear the Inuit sealers and sealers from the east coast don't see eye to eye. In regards to the premier of Nunavut's comments in conjunction with the fur being left on the ice, I would have to agree, it is a shame for the Inuit to be unable to use the whole seal as they would normally do because there is no market for it when the hunt is over.

It would seem different laws for different lands should seriously be looked into IMO.

Unfortunately there will always be someone screaming how unfair it is, thereby once again derailing perhaps a compromising solution.

When the Inuit hunt the seal, they use almost 95 percent of the seal or all of it. There seems to me a very different way of life regrading the Inuit Sealers and those of the Newfoundland Sealers. This would appear to be the heart of the problem to me.

Um.. speaker of truth, I have never heard of girl scouts killing seals, not saying your fibbing, just curious, looked but couldn't find any info ,do you have a link. thanks

[edit on 27-3-2006 by alphacenturi]

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I agree that the two hunts are very different.

The seal hunt has always been a very important part of Inuit life and they waste nothing.

The NFLD & Labrador hunt, in my incredibly unpolitically correct opinion, is just another welfare program. The cod stocks were mismanaged to the point of no return, so the government lets them hunt seals while subsidising the industry.

This country has always been involved with the fur trade. Even before we were a country.

That doesn't mean I like it, but then again, there's lots of things I'm not a fan of and wouldn't participate in. That doesn't mean they all have to be banned.

And we don't teach Girl Scouts how to hunt seals. :shk:

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join