It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's Seal Hunt to Get Under Way

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The comparison is relevant...

No, it is not. Unless you can show that only those who favor abortion rights are uniquely opposed to the seal hunt, you are doing nothing more than diverting the discussion found in this thread to meet with you own unrelated political agenda.

Take your spurious associations elsewhere. I'm sure a seasoned member, such as yourself, can easily find a more appropriate place to debate the abortion issue.

[edit on 25-3-2006 by loam]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I didn't come here to debate the abortion issue. What I did was ask who among those who oppose killing baby seals support the killing of unborn humans, which is a question I have always wanted to ask in such a venue. I can see no harm in that. You don't go to a barbecue looking for vegetarians. Perhaps, you misread my post.

A simple yea or nay, would suffice.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
In an attempt to draw what conclusion, Grady?

Thinly veil it any way you like, I don't buy it.

The one has NOTHING to do with the other. At best, you are hijacking the discussion of this thread to discredit the position someone might have on ABORTION... subject matter appropriately placed elsewhere on this board.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Can we keep this on topic please.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

The comparison is relevant, regardless of the inability or refusal of some to appreciate it.

No, its not relevant and please stay on topic. We're clubbing seals here, not having a debate on abortion.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Someone should create a thread on this subject. I am willing to bet that the majority of members who find this act of clubbing seals atrocious also find abortion to be OK. Vise versa for those that don't see seal hunting as bad.

*peace*

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Then start one in the appropriate forum, and stop bringing it up HERE!

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Canada's Seal Hunt to Get Under Way

This is the name of this thread, I want it kept that way, This is about seals not anything else,

Take other Topics to another thread,

Asala.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
So, would this be less of an issue if hunters only captured these seals and then brought them to a central point to be euthanized? We put a heck of a lot more cats and dogs down like that every year than there are clubbed seals and no one seems to get overly worked up. Well, except for loam, who seems to be hypersensitive today.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

So, would this be less of an issue if hunters only captured these seals and then brought them to a central point to be euthanized? We put a heck of a lot more cats and dogs down like that every year than there are clubbed seals and no one seems to get overly worked up. Well, except for loam, who seems to be hypersensitive today.

Where did you see my opposition to the seal hunt?

Moreover:

Originally posted by William (aka SkepticOverlord)

In reality, an FSME is somewhere between member and moderator.... but different. Where moderators work to maintain civility and decorum, FSME's work to maintain quality and relevance.

Get it? Your original question and that topic have NO RELEVANCE to THIS thread.

EDIT: Edited to make clear I was speaking of Grady's original question. Not the second one he posted.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Get it? Your question and that topic have NO RELEVANCE to this thread.

Regardless of your exalted position, all the yelling and prancing about is uncalled for and more offensive than my faux pas.

I will repeat my question. Is the manner of death an issue in this topic?

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Is the manner of death an issue in this topic?

Now, we're back on track.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
...and it's been said that the Canucks are afraid to declare war...they've proved EVERYONE wrong...

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
dang ppl i said dont get in to it it was just a harmess comaprason...chill

the whole point of this thred is just for ppl to come in here some say its wrong some say its alright reguardless this has been going on for a long time. the seal population has not been affected infact there numbers increce evry year. so is it better for a over population and the same amout or more seals starve to death from not enough local recorces or a quick to a semi quick death? (spike to the head or a bat not to painfull probably after the first hit its brains probably wouldent regaster pain)

is it humane?

or is it barbaric?

the correct responce is both and nether it is a debate that will always continue the point of this thred is political and opinion based nothing scientific can be found or gained here

[edit on 25-3-2006 by engenerQ]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Is the manner of death an issue in this topic?

Yes. Clubbing to death a seal is wrong. Shooting in the head quick and painless is ok. Clubbing or shooting purely for the fur for use in fashion while the meat is left on the ice is wrong. Shooting for the meat is ok because its for food. After the meat is consumed you can keep the fur for warmth, nothing wrong there.

So I guess since they shoot the seals, quick and painless, and they eat the meat, its all good.

So no problems here as long as the above sentence holds true.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This site gives some pretty good information in regards to the economy of the seal hunt that is beneficial to the inuit.

collections.ic.gc.ca...

I do tend to believe that 80 to 90 percent of them are shot.
Unfortunately, there will always be that 10 or 20 percent of our global population who will continue to treat animals unkindly, even their own pets, this percent falls into the criminal category as far as I am concerned.

If it came to be that seal hunting was outlawed, and most of them, originally when hunted were shot, how would we eventually go about reducing their population when it swells, (and it will, if left untouched and uncontrolled over time) if we can't use the best and most humane way to do it now?

Hope the link helps a little.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I find it mindless that a suppossedly "elite" world country like Canada can accept military cowards and be so enlightened, and still have such barbaric "hunts" that slaughter baby seals, leave bloody trails in the ice and claim to be "civilized".

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Thermo, again, how many times do I have to say it- NO baby seals are clubbed. Baby seals were killed in the 70's for fur, seal fur is BANNED in Canada. Clubs aren't used for killing seals either (though this instrument developed in Scandinavia was the supposedly painless death method). Don't fall for this, it's not that easy.

I fail to see why the abortion/seal comparison is not relevant as an example of situational ethics.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Nakash]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Once again, seal fur is NOT banned in Canada. I live in Newfoundland (a province in Canada) and it is legal here to sell and buy products made with seal fur. As far as I know, seal fur is banned in the US, but not in Canada, eh.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Those are natives, they have the right to sell seal fur products, there is no huge fur industry for seal fur, it stopped in the 70's, I am positive on this one. Positive. I live in Canada and never see anybody wearing seal fur.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Nakash]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join