It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potential flaw found in F-22A fighter jets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
That's pretty interesting... And it will be pretty expensive too...

[edit on 16-3-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I wonder if there might be a touch of the 'A380's' about this story?

By this I mean that yes, like the wing of the flying elephant, the casting on the F-22 engine frame may be out of spec, but it may prove to be by such a tiny amount that no corrective action is necessary.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There are only about 24 Raptors currently in service. And leave it to the liberal PI to make the stupid claim that each Raptor costs $338 million. When in realitly they cost between $100-130 million.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
There are only about 24 Raptors currently in service. And leave it to the liberal PI to make the stupid claim that each Raptor costs $338 million. When in realitly they cost between $100-130 million.

Well its kinda irrelevant how many of them are "in service" (also remember the planes that are already in the works and the stock parts in question) because the potential flaw has to be examined in any case.

Furthermore, why do you bring the "Liberals" into this? The article says it´s a Republican who said this number, and since we are speaking of a possible internal flaw having an effect on the whole operation of the plane I guess his number is the projected lifecycle cost of the F-22 and not only the pure fly-away costs.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
its still pretty pathetic. after all the money the f-22 has cost, after all the tests it finally gets into production and then they discover that it has a structural fault.

Justin

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Leave it to a Congressman to make a mountain out of a mole hill, I agree with Waynos, to me this seems to be a case of someone looking for a problem.

jra

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3
its still pretty pathetic. after all the money the f-22 has cost, after all the tests it finally gets into production and then they discover that it has a structural fault.

Justin

But they haven't really discoverd anything yet. There's a potencial flaw that could be serious if it's not being manufactured correctly. I don't think all the testing of the F-22 would have prevented this (if there really is a problem). This doesn't have anything to do with the F-22's design itself, but the manufacturing of the titanium used.

I too agree with waynos.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

from the source first paragraph
have a structural flaw that would require redesign or major modifications

Sounds fairly serious to me.

But in all fairness the rest of the source makes it sound like its no big deal.

Justin

new topics

top topics

join