It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Customs Agents Seizes 250 Counterfeit Billion Dollar Bills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
This is really really amusing. They caught a man with bogus billion dollar bills. That's right, billion dollar bills. Now, who could be so dumb as to be fooled by this??

You got change for a Grover Cleveland, pal?

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The counterfeit money looked good, but there was one flaw. There's no such thing as a one billion dollar bill.

U.S. Customs agents in California said on Tuesday they had found 250 bogus billion dollar bills while investigating a man charged with currency smuggling.

Tekle Zigetta, 45, pleaded guilty to three federal counts of trying to bring cash, phony bills and a fake $100,000 gold certificate into the United States in January.

Further investigation led agents to a West Hollywood apartment where they found the stash of yellowing and wrinkled one billion dollar bills with an issue date of 1934 and bearing a picture of President Grover Cleveland.

"You would think the $1 billion denomination would be a giveaway that these notes are fake, but some people are still taken in," said James Todak, a secret services agent involved in the probe.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Perhaps the guy was preparing for the day when hyperinflation will set in and billion dollar notes become a reality?

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I want to know who could provide change!

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by katanax
I want to know who could provide change!

That was my first thought. Especially when I read the quote from the investigator. Some get taken in by it? OK...but how does one change it?

Unless he was going to buy something that cost a billion. But even then, when an exchange of money happens that is over a certain point, the government is notified. So, why would someone even make something like this?

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
How depressing, up til now I thought I was in pretty good shape and confident in the security of my family's fiscal future. Now after reading this, I have to wonder if my stash of 10 million dollar Nixon silver certificates are legal tender.......................................

new topics

top topics

join