It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Scary Developments - WW3 just days away.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by torbjon
During my forty plus years of life it has been my great fortune (or misfortune, depending upon how you look at it) to have survived a number of devastating events, from being at the center of a massive earthquake to standing on the deck of a sinking ship to face to face with a hungry grizzly bear in the middle of nowhere Alaska…

Man...you've got to tell us more of these stories torbjon...

No matter how much stuff I had stashed back at camp, back at home, in my locker, where ever, each and every time a genuine emergency reached out and slapped me upside the head, the Only stuff I had available to me was whatever I happened to be carrying with me at the time plus alla the ‘useless’ crap I keep inside my head.

Torbjon - do you bother keeping any supplies on hand...any weapons for protection/hunting? Or do you just trust that when the time comes you'll deal with the situation at hand with what is available...?

This is a great thread though - at least to get people thinking about what you would do if society around us were to collapse tomorrow. Would you be ready? Or would you end up trapped on the roof surrounded by the floodwaters? Something to think about.

-Ry

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
There's always something to worry about.
People always seem to be fighting.
Politicians always seem to be either lying or clueless.
Danger everywhere.
Yup, sure seems like the end is nigh.

(Copyright © 1982 - Enkidu)

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I try to be prepared for any emergency - it's much easier since I've taken up the couponing hobby. I buy grocery/toiletrie items for much cheaper than most people get them, even at the dollar store - lots of stuff I get for free, or for pennies on the dollar.

On hand I have about 85 boxes of cereal, 100 stagg chili containers, 150 + protein bars, 75 cans of soup, 60 cans of veggies, 45 + cans of fruit, powdered milk, lots of crackers, 15 jars of peanut butter, 40 things of mens/womens deodorant, tons of t.p., 10 bags of diapers for my son, too much cold medicine/excedrin/advil/aleve to count, bottles and bottles of cough syrup, 50 + bottles of lotion, way too much shampoo, and about 50 tubes of toothpaste and same amount of toothbrushes. Most all of the stuff I got free with the couponing thing...so I guess someday that the hobby will pay off, but let's hope it doesn't come to that. My family snickers when they visit that I've developed 'hoarding' issues but this never seems to prevent them from raiding my stockpile like a bunch of locusts when they have occasion to visit...especially the women and their love of toiletrie/hygiene products.

I need to stock up on water however...think it would be a good idea to have some sort of propane cook stove and water purification system. Everyone should prepare for emergencies in their own way, as best as they can - not only for extreme emergencies that we all hope don't happen, but in cases of job layoffs, economic hardships, etc. I admit that I didn't purposely intend to get to this level of stockpiling - it just seemed to happen with the coupon thing. And this has been only since Thanksgiving! Hey - at least I can share with neighbors and friends & family who need a helping hand on occasion.

I would highly recommend the same system to anyone else out there!

~A

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Thousands dead, millions unemployed, billions squandered and trillions in debt.

Right about now, American needs a war in the worst way. Too bad though that this bill be the one that falls the mighty oak.

Oh well. She has it coming anyways.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by torbjon
Okay, I’m curious…

for the people running out to ‘get prepared’, again just out of curiosity, why weren’t you ‘prepared’ before?

My husband has insisted that we be somewhat prepared ever since I've known him. It's all his fault! So, we've always (15 years) had a certain prepared mindset (and I agree, the best preparation is in your mind). Only in the past 3-4 years have we seriously considered the possibility of needing to be self-sufficient for a period of time. I'm working on a model of 4-5 months. No particular reason.

And when we see things happening in the country and the world, like 9/11, Iraq, the way the current administration is taking our rights under the guise of protecting us from terrorism (we read history, we know what's happening), stomping on the constitution, how they treated the people of New Orleans, the blatant corruption in the government, war, rumours of war... It only makes sense to me to assume that this is going to get worse before it gets better.

I'm not talking about the end of the world or even a global disaster! I'm talking about an event that will require us to be self sufficient for some time. A big bump, perhaps an economic depression, another war, who knows?

As I read through this thread, I see a lot of folks pretty gung ho to run out and ‘get prepared’ for a hypothetical WWIII, and yet these same folks were Not ‘prepared’ for an equally devastating, equally hypothetical earthquake or meteorite impact…

Well, it's one thing to be surprised by an earthquake and try to survive, which means just living. It's quite another to know something's coming and try to survive in relative comfort. This CAN be predicted (not with 100% accuracy, but it's something we can see) so why not prepare?

And for the people who already were ‘prepared’ or who are now ‘prepared’, what exactly do you consider ‘being prepared’ and how did you arrive at that conclusion? What items did you choose to get? Why those items? Why those quantities of those items? Where did you draw the line and why there?

We live out in the country on a few acres, so we have built raised garden beds and are gardening.
I have all kinds of seeds with which to grow many hearty foods. We have a well and huge water tanks. Plus, yes, some survival books.

I won't list everything here, but let's just say my large country pantry (picture below) is Chock Full of water, canned and boxed goods, freeze-dried food, baking goods and pet food all protected in plastic containers.

You're right, we cannot know what to be prepared for and to be honest, if we have to leave our home, we won't be in very good shape. We have 4 animals. We are planning on sitting tight. We have stockpiled all kinds of non-perishibles, camping gear, we have a generator, tons of wood to burn, medicines, first aid, items to barter with... not cosmetics or cleaning supplies, I'm thinking more basic like tools, shoes, work gloves, duct tape, coffee, tobacco, alcohol, spices, water treatment, bar soap. And most of the stuff, we can use if there is no disaster.

We have no plans to steal things from others. But we will defend our stuff and ourselves if necessary. Oh, and we have dogs that can hunt.

When and Where do you draw the line?

I guess we draw the line where we feel comfortable. I know there are a few things my husband wants to pick up this weekend, but otherwise, we're comfortable.

Is there such thing as ‘enough’? (how much toilet paper is ‘enough’?)

I think we have about 10 12-packs (double rolls)
But I'm prepared to use whatever's available if and when that becomes necessary. For me, it's all about being able to comfortably survive while we're holed up here. If we run out of something we need, my husband will head out on his bike and find out if there's someone to trade goods and services with.

The most important thing is that neither one of us is afraid to die. If something happens that one or both of us die, it's ok. We're doing this because we want to. Not because we feel the need to live through anything. We're curious. We want to see what happens. We want to be around for the show. And we want to be fairly comfortable while watching it.

[edit on 17-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Gardens are excellent...something that I don't have due to the fact that 1. I live smack out in the middle of the desert 2. I have a black thumb! LOL

Gardens are a great way to have some sort of self sufficiency for awhile, as well as not to have to sell your soul for decent tasting tomato at the store. I would love to have a small garden, with some herbs as well.

I have stocked up on spices and cooking oil, but we don't have the hardcore survival stuff if need be. I spoke to my husband about this, and he thinks that I'm over reacting - he reminds me of the Y2K fiasco, when I stored about a months worth of food, water and supplies for nothing. It wasn't for nothing, I reminded him - we used the supplies eventually, although I had done something stupid a few years before. *whisper* I was cleaning out the house and threw away about 50 MREs that he had in a box...whoops!

Enjoyed reading your tips.

~A

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I just posted my list in the Survivalism PODthread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This thread...very interesting. I think we all know that something is wrong. And the problem seems to be not the cause of the "left" or of the "right" but of one created by our own inability to see clearly and act.

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both. -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Unfortunately, the truth is that to try and correct this problem at this late stage, peacefully, would result in nothing. We've been spoon fed veiled Orwellian notions by the government and govt. controlled media for so long that we've allowed them to hide behind executive privilege and closed door meetings. We've allowed them to think for us and have accepted their form of truth through manipulation. We've let the wool be pulled squarely over our eyes for the sake of the new "toy" marketed and for the "comfort notion" of homeland security.

To right the "wrongness" that some of us have felt building over this past decade plus would require such massive organization, intellect, resources, and fortitude that the idea of effecting change appears to most like an ant on a mountain, much like the "I'm only one man" sentiment. Meanwhile, "For the good of the common man/woman" is being systemically erased from the vocabularies of governing bodies each year exponentially in favor of "for the good of The Corporation". What rises to the top is not decency but coercion on a wave of wealth. And once there, the puppeteers that dance the marionettes will stop at nothing to reap further rewards from their manipulative deeds. What's left is in the jaw of the lion...unable to break free...the American public...their own wool, firmly drawn.

No-one want's to say it for fear of being mislabeled as unpatriotic, un-American, or a terrorist. But I think a lot of us are thinking it? Those that have bought and sold this country for the last 16 years have us spinning wildly out of control both domestically and abroad. Is there a way to effect change that is non-violent before it is too late? Our current system has been overtaken and redrawn by the likely bedfellows of the wealthy and the current and past administrations. I for one do not want my life and family jeopardized by the greed of talking monkeys. So...my question is will we, the public, EVER wake up and take a stand for what is right? Or are we all so desensitized that we just accept what ever is handed to us on a silver screen as our destiny and allow more and more crime to be committed under our name, America? I'm sorry but I don't see any way out beyond armed aggression backed by strategists, inside intelligence and the will of a people to protect it's principles rather than it's privileges. The well is too deep to see the water.

Are we a morally bankrupt nation of pigs and pig farmers or are we Americans with vision. The prism of time will reflect.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The battles are not the ones on your screen. They are the ones in the finance pages. The U.S are on the ropes because of greedy individuals, and greedy companies benefiting off of the suffering of others, but then again; hasn't it always been thus? Despite the existance of "ethics" buisnesses have been given free reign to currupt everything they see and touch, with such greed, but with such guile! One has to give it to these blokes, they'll do anything for a doller. Be it selling their own grandmother, or blowing up folk or selling arms, the financial big timers who win will have lots of money to hug, and the losers which will invariably be us, will always lack as much money as them. We'd be too busy picking out the charred corpses of our friends, our brothers, our sisters, our sons, our daughters, our mothers and our fathers. Such is the way things are, and forever shall be. I hold no hope for the future, because it'll just be like the present. No lessons learnt, noone strong enough to stand up against financial feudlism. And soon, everything will be run by one company. I'm taking a stab that KFC will be taking over everything soon.

I can see it now. KFC COFFEE! No chicken included! If there is, we'll silence you!

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
one thing's for sure in this crazy hill o'beans world that we all live in is that united we stand in the face of this latest threat...

H5N1

brothers and sisters of whatever faith, colour or creed you happen to be, UNITE!

Amen

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I currently live in New York City… I’ve also lived in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento… however the majority of my life has been spent in small town California foothills, (Sierra/Nevada mountain range) and small town Alaska (Petersburg)

I found it much easier to keep ‘survival stuff’ in the sticks than it is in the city. Living space in the city is limited… I’ve lived in tents that were bigger than some of the New York apartments I’ve had *laughs* Trying to store stuff is a joke in the city, let alone trying to grow a tomato *sighs*

BENEVOLENT HERETIC, much of what you described reminds me of my upbringing. We had some acres, some livestock, we were removed from the mainstream… if you called for help it would be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour before an ambulance or paramedic showed up…

Living that way it’s only natural to keep some extra stuff on hand…. it’s part of the lifestyle, right? Now, with all of the changes in the world these past few years, you’re considering upping the ante from not having to have to go to the store for a few weeks to not having to have to go to the store for some months…

However, I gotta say, that sounds more like a well planned gradual change in lifestyle than an all out panic attack run out and buy up all of the iodine pills and quinine tablets you can get your hands on sort of thing, don’t you think?

What ISRAELCD did (stashing some gas) also strikes me as more of a lifestyle choice than a panic attack choice. Here’s a person from a state that has had it’s fair share of natural disasters over the years, and also a person who seems to keep an eye on things that are important to them. That doesn’t strike me as any ‘weirder’ than someone in Alaska buying a few thousand gallons of diesel when the price is low… or before winter…

What I’m really curious about is what VIS MEGA and the others who ran out to get stuff got… The people who don’t normally live a ‘be prepared’ type lifestyle. What did their ‘panic attack’ (‘Hammer Fever’ in the book I cited earlier) shopping spree generate?

Again, I’m not coming down on anybody or any of the choices folks make… whatever people decide to do, it’s the Right Choice for them… I’m just curious what those choices are, tha’s all.

RDUBE02 asked what I keep around the house, in case of an ‘emergency’… well, I’ll tell you Dube, since moving to New York? Not a lot *shrugs* I really don’t see the point of trying to build a strong hold inside a major costal target. When I lived in the sticks things were different… but that’s the sticks, ya know?

However, I can tell you this; I always carry a book of matches (FIRE) and I always carry my pocket knife (not a small multi tool Swiss Army thing, a knife I could actually skin a deer with)

At other times of my life there was other items I considered ‘essential’ (for about 20 years I always carried a fire arm… however that was more for Me than anything else… in other words, if I found myself in the middle of nowhere in some type of world of pain and about to die in agony all alone with no chance of rescue of any kind, then I wanted the option a fire arm could offer to be available to me)

oh, since Nola was born I Do make it a point to keep some food and drink in the house for her at all times, but that’s just being a parent, right?

hmmm, speaking of which…

duty calls
rock on
twj

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
can i just state that everyone is panicking unnecesarily over the whole bird flu epidemic. Do an google on the 1918 flu epidemic (similare as it was haemorrhagic) and homeopathy and you will see truly amazing results.The homeopathic hospital had 100% cure rate for the flu.

www.nesh.com...

For all you people busily stockpiling - why not include a homeoapthic kit/ remedies and a good prescribing guide. Forget all the conventional medicine crap - it's only purpose is to wreck your immune system anyway. Take responsiblility for your own health.

for all the people who insist on stockpiling, and are worried about water - do a google on 'colloidal silver' . For about £100 investment you can buy a 'machine' that sterilises water. Of course, thsi technology has been suppressed - yet it is very efficent for eliminate viral and bacterial components in water. (Can not eliminate nuclear particles though!!). Basically it prevents the replication of one celled organisms - viruse/ bacteria/ameoba, etc.

I have only been watching this site for a few weeks, and all I have seen is scaremongering!!
Last weekend you all waited on tender hooks to see if the hooker was right!

If you look at all the prophecies so far, it is TOO EARLY for the proverbial # to hit the fan. We have few years respite yet.

THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF!!

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I wonder if "operation swarming" could have anything in mind other than chasing a few goatherders in Samara..... Anybody got info on this campaign? If our paranoid musings are correct it could be relevant.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vis Mega

Oh yeah did you see this one?

www.cbc.ca...

So now the coast guard just armed the boats on the great lakes.

WTF IS UP WITH THAT?!

What are they thinking??! WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THE US AND CANADA NEED TO PROTECT EACH OTHER FROM EACH OTHER!?

Where does it say that they are arming to protect themselves from each other? 7.62mm isn't exactly a huge rifle. You do realize that the US Coast Guard is under the dept. of homeland security and not the DOD? Before that they were dept. of transportation. They are more police than military. You have to wonder why they weren't already armed with these light arms. Hardly an Earth shattering developement.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyfly7
can i just state that everyone is panicking unnecesarily over the whole bird flu epidemic.

Sure, but if you'll read the posts in this thread, you'll see that this is not about bird flu.

From the original post:

SPECULATION: I feel that the entire Bird Flu scenario is the cover story that the powers that be are using to keep public panic down as we get closer to the coming global collapse and war.

For all you people busily stockpiling - why not include a homeoapthic kit/ remedies and a good prescribing guide.

They're included. In fact, I take herbal tinctures every day for various ailments.

Forget all the conventional medicine crap - it's only purpose is to wreck your immune system anyway. Take responsiblility for your own health.

The only medicine I have is like nyquil, aspirin and so on, in case my husband gets a cold. I haven't been sick for 10 years. And I have taken responsibility for my own health.

I have only been watching this site for a few weeks, and all I have seen is scaremongering!!

So, that's why you joined? Wanted to get scared?

Last weekend you all waited on tender hooks to see if the hooker was right!

Not true at all. I'm not even sure I read that thread. In fact I have poo-poo'd on every 'terror warning'.

If you look at all the prophecies so far, it is TOO EARLY for the proverbial # to hit the fan. We have few years respite yet.

I don't give a crap about prophesies, I'm watching the world.

THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF!!

I'M NOT AFRAID!

Thanks for your input, though.

[edit on 17-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
In reply to Benevolent Heretic:

I am very aware of the thread of thsi discussion. I grew up in northern ireland, so I am equipped to understand military diversion techniques.
and, no, there is nothing in the world that would scare me - there is a HUGE difference in being aware and being scared.

KNOWLEDGE IS SACRED (anagram of scared!)
FEAR IS IGNORANCE

If you have 'poo-pooed' every terror - why have you stockpiled so much emergency stuff? You MUST be paying attention to warnings.
Mind you, I would probably stockpile if I was in America!

With regard to watching world events - isn that not what everyone in thsi site is doing???

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
"In fact, I take herbal tinctures every day for various ailments. "

" I haven't been sick for 10 years. And I have taken responsibility for my own health."

I feel the 2 quotes above from you are quite contradictory. Anyway, homeopathy and herbalism are NOT the same.

"So, that's why you joined? Wanted to get scared? "

If I really had the desire to 'be scared' - there are plenty more places apart from this forum that would serve the purpose. I would just have to switch on the mind-controlling box that is designed for that purpose.

"I'M NOT AFRAID!

do you really believe that i was addressing you personally?? Best advise I can give you - never take anything personally. Acknowledge and let go!

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Lol this is the same as every other "The world is going to end next week" thread.

I am pretty sure that bird flu isn't going to break out all around the world within 24 hours. Also I am pretty sure if the USA expected a massive attack that the military would shut down cities and have a large boarder presence in defensive positions a little before 24 hours away...

You guys have to understand that if the US was preparing for a nuclear strike against their own soil... Condalliza Rice wouldn't be in Australia at the moment... George Bush would already be 1000ft underground and cities etc would be being evacuated if they thought it was that serious.

Be alert, not alarmed. I seriously doubt that anything major will just pop-up within 24 hours. IF something were to happen, the whole world (rather than just ATS members) would be panicking right now.

*Gets beer and deckchair*

I might just sit back and watch this one.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Thanks Vis Mega for posting this information. There are people out there who just love to pick out some small erroneous detail in any presentation to help them feel better about themselves. It's the overall point of the message that is important.

We have several threats on the horizon.

1. Attack on Iran and retaliation or vice versa.

2. Al Qaeda threats of two new attacks, 1st smaller, 2nd larger

3. Bird Flu issues

4. Economic shock due to the switch to Euros, etc

5. Drought causing some regional famines.

6. High earthquake risks in the New Madrid zone and West Coast.

My point has been to say that there is a lot of stuff in the pipeline that are threats at this moment. If only 1/3 of these happen soon, it would have been a good idea to have some provisions, tools, supplies, around to be prepared. Counting on FEMA or some agency to bail you out is a loser every time.

Here is the main statement: If you have prepared with long-shelf life items, then the precise timing of next week or next month or next year would not matter. But rest assured, you will not have to wait more than 1 year for the poop to hit the fan. It will likely be a lot less.

The facts are that there is really cause for some concern for people's lives, and, rather than taking the warning for the good that it could do people if heeded, with nothing to lose if the timing is off, people would rather attempt to sacrifice the credibility of the original poster for the sake of builing themselves up. I see this over and over on ATS with many or most threads decaying into some tit-for-tat argument.

As Rodney King once said, "I mean, can't we all get along?" (Note: this was in-between assaults on his girlfriend). I guess the answer from many is: No.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I am very aware of the thread of thsi discussion.

OK. It just didn't sound like it to me.

From your post:

bird flu and being prepared

can i just state that everyone is panicking unnecesarily over the whole bird flu epidemic.

If you have 'poo-pooed' every terror - why have you stockpiled so much emergency stuff?

I ignore the terror warnings. The political warnings I see with my own eyes, I don't ignore.

I feel the 2 quotes above from you are quite contradictory.

I haven't been sick for 10 years because any time I've felt the first twinge of a cold or flu, I take my herbal immune booster and it goes away. The herbs I take every day are for menopause. I also take others as needed. I hope that reconciles it for you.

Anyway, homeopathy and herbalism are NOT the same.

I know. I have also taken Bach Flower essences and given them to my dogs. I was just indicating that I don't depend on the medical association and pharmaceuticals to keep me healthy. I take herbs regularly, but I have taken remedies as well, and I advocate their use for illnesses or nerves.

If I really had the desire to 'be scared' - there are plenty more places apart from this forum that would serve the purpose.

You said:

If all you've seen is scaremongering, then I wondered why you were here. Apparently, that's not all you've seen.

do you really believe that i was addressing you personally?? Best advise I can give you - never take anything personally. Acknowledge and let go!

From your post:

For all you people busily stockpiling...
for all the people who insist on stockpiling...

Yeah, I thought I was one of the people you were addressing. I didn't take it personally, I was just answering you.

Forgive me, but I carefully word my posts to say exactly what I mean and I assume others do as well.

You seemed a bit harsh addressing people in this thread who are preparing and really came across as quite severe and condescending, in my opinion, so I felt compelled to retort in defense of my friends who are doing what they think is right for themselves and their families.

I don't understand why people feel a need to rag on us for trying to be prepared for the inevitable, but if I'm in the thread when they do, I may say something, whether they were addressing me or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join