It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists create nano-smiley from DNA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This is rather amusing:

Nano-smiley made from DNA

A nanotechnologist has created the world's smallest and most plentiful smiley, a tiny face measuring a few billionths of a metre across assembled from strands of DNA.

Dr Paul Rothemund at the California Institute of Technology can make 50 billion smileys, each a thousand times smaller than the diameter of a human hair, with his technique.

DNA has long been known for its versatility as a microscopic building block.

The molecule can be 'cut' using enzymes and reassembled using matching rungs in its double-helix structure.

This theoretically opens the way to making DNA quantum computers and nano-level devices including injectable robots that can monitor the body's tissues for good health.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What will they come up with next? I'm waiting for a nano-animated gif

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Hehe, that's cool. Not terribly useful in and of itself, but the technology behind the smiley is quite impressive. Kinda reminds me of the nano-guitar one of my profs made several years ago...

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Ok, I would love to hear that nano guitar.

Did he make a little nano musician to play it?

The world's smallest rock band!!!

Seriously though, this is such amazing technology. Can't wait to hear more on the quantum computer developments.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Up until computers were invented, the word 'virus' was reserved for organic entities.... computers came around, and 'virus' took on a whole new meaning... once they start building things like computers from DNA... will we revert back to the old definition of 'virus'? Forget corrupting data files or software, they'll be able to corrupt (mutate) the computer itself (DNA)

new topics

top topics

join