It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: U.S. Representative Katherine Harris Goes on with Senate Bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Despite the controversy about her connections with a defense contratctor, Florida Congresswoman Katherine Harris proclaimed she would still run for U.S. Senate. During a Wednesday night interview on the FOX show "Hannity & Colmes", Harris stated she will continue her with her campaign against Senator Bill Nelson, the Democratic challenger.

Associated Press reporter Brendan Farrington has more:

news.yah oo.com
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris plans to spend $10 million of her father's inheritance in her race to unseat Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, she announced Wednesday night.

She ended speculation that she would quit the race on Fox News' "Hannity & Colmes." Rumors swirled that she would get out of the race after her name was associated with a defense contractor who bribed another congressman.

"I'm staying. I'm in this race. I'm going to win," she told Sean Hannity. "I'm going to put everything on the line."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ms. Harris' run against Nelson might prove to be an uphill battle. Although this might seem like local politics for some, the congresswoman's political career stirs a lot of controversy. As the Secretary of State of Florida, Ms. Harris participated in the 2000 American Presidential Election recount. She endorsed the votes solidifying President Bush's win over Democrat Al Gore. Ms. Harris' association with Mitchell Wade and MZM unleashes a lot of questions that have yet to be answered. Wade has ties to recently convicted California Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham.

What is important to note about Ms. Harris' campaign is that it deals with special interests. Should the American people support representatives who knowingly participate in government to serve their own financial gain? Or should voters only endorse representatives who will work on the needs of their constituency?

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.gainesville.com
www.miami.com

[edit on 16-3-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I watched the interview also. She appeared to be very tired; she's gone through a lot lately, losing her father, and these allegations.

She certainly is dedicated to the race, committing to spend her entire inheritance on it. But is it worth it? Her opponent is strong, and in the lead in polls.

Imo, she would not willingly take tainted money from MZM, but that is a hard flea to shake once it gets on your back.

To answer your question, of course the politician that works hard for his/her constituency is the best case, and most start off that way. Unfortunately, it's only after they have been caught with their hand in the cookie jar that we realize they have changed.

Many good people decide to not enter politics, because a race can be very expensive. That unfortunately leads to a Congress made up of the very rich, or the beholden. Also, many good candidates refuse to put their families under the grueling spotlight and loss of privacy that comes with the job. You can't blame them, imo.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I think it will take more than Miracle Water to see her through this one. No offense to Ms. Harris and her mourning the loss of her father, but I just can't take her seriously as a candidate for Senate.

I have a hard time taking her seriously at all. Not only did she illegally certify the results of the Florida vote for Pres. in '00, she was George Bush's state campaign manager as well at the time! Talk about a conflict of interest. That little incident should have turned a lot of heads. All the attention was on 'hanging chads' at the time. Then the USSC went on to uphold the certification of the Florida vote, essentially legalizing a criminal act, after the fact. I've seen video of her election results certification announcement, that little smirk, and her eyes sliding from side to side said it all, I'm just surprised she didn't flick out her little forked tongue while she was at it. She got a seat in Congress out of the deal, and now she's running for Senate.

All you have to do is look at her previous history as SoS in Florida, and pray that isn't the type of person Floridans want representing them in the Senate. To me, she represents everything that's wrong with American politics, and her connection to Wade, Cunningham, and MZM may yet make all of this a moot point, if justice were to truly be served and accountability enforced.

Miracle Water

[edit on 16-3-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
jsobecky, I do agree that politicians have a hard time in the spotlight. But I also would concur that the media scares people who desire to serve others in their district but feel they cannot because of glare of scrutiny.

Congresswoman Harris is going through a tough time. And with this fact, I certainly pity her. Losing one's father is a wound hard to heal.

With that being said, she represents an important political figure not only in Florida politics, but in the U.S. government. And if people demand that their representatives not ally themselves with special interests, every record of a politician must be scrutinized. That alone is not a partisan matter.

The problem with Harris is that she is taking a big gamble running for Senate. But if the congresswoman feels she can withstand the attacks and rise above her past problems, then Ms. Harris is a worthy opponent for Nelson.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Actually I was one of those at the time in 2000 supported and applauded her for her nice help in Florida so Bush could win the elections after all I did voted for him in 2000.

And to tell you the truth she got a nice deal after that and if we are going to demand that every person that runs for office will not be tied to any interest groups. . . . I am sorry to say. . . . we may have to actually fired every single of our representatives and congressmen that are now serving in the white house.

[edit on 16-3-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
She's like many whores. When the pimps and johns have used you up you get kicked to the curb. How's that gutter smell Katherine?...Too bad really, she was a good little soldier for the Bushys and now they won't be seen in the same room with her.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   

She's like many whores. When the pimps and johns have used you up you get kicked to the curb. How's that gutter smell Katherine?

I dont think I would have worded the way you did...
but ditto what you said....

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
marg, I agree with you there. But wouldn't it be useful if people actually knew the voting and political record of their candidates?

As for Katherine Harris being allied with the Bushes: they're saying to to her, "Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out."

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   

from ceci2006
As for Katherine Harris being allied with the Bushes: they're saying to to her, "Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out."

She isn't getting much party support at all, which is kind of odd. How entrenched is she in this MZM deal? Did she return the $44K he donated to her? Is that the reason the Republicans are turning their back to her?

It seems like the GOP is willing to concede this Senate seat to the Democrats.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally quoted by jsobecky

She isn't getting much party support at all, which is kind of odd. How entrenched is she in this MZM deal? Did she return the $44K he donated to her? Is that the reason the Republicans are turning their back to her?

It seems like the GOP is willing to concede this Senate seat to the Democrats.

To answer your question, the story is thickening. From the reports I have read, Harris allegedy at first "kept the money"--which reportedly totalled to as much as $50,000. Since she is willing to run against Nelson, the congresswoman allegedly "donated the money to charity".

As of the GOP willing to concede the Fla. senate seat: Republicans have rebuffed and attacked her over the scandal. However, Vice-President Cheney is reported in the news as "washing his hands of her" as he "looked forward to swearing in the next Republican Senator of Florida." But, Mr. Cheney didn't even mention her name as that possible successor. This was briefly recalled on March 7, 2006 in some papers across the country. Some periodicals went as far to say that the Vice-President "snubbed" her.

You can read more about it in these links:

Tampa Tribune

CBS News link

News Max

I hope that answers your question.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Ceci thanks for the info, I had not clue as how bad things has gone for the poor women.

After all she has done for the Bushes handling the president seat in a silver plater.

What a way to treat their own people.

Sad.

I imagine that if she becomes public and say something derogatory against the Republican party she will be shred to pieces when it comes to her character.

live is very hard in the political arena.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the info and links, ceci. My questions are basic, but I haven't followed her career too much since the 2000 election.

What's happening to her shows that politics is a cutthroat business, eh?

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
marg and jsobecky,

You're both very welcome.
I find it amazing how fickle politics is. I also agree politics is a cutthroat business and rather Shakespearian in its own way. You can even say it is even worse than the entertainment industry--and that is a very ugly career to be in.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
ceci

Congratulations on your first successful ATSNN submission! You got the votes needed to get the moniker of Contributor under your name.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Thank you very much, jsobecky. I appreciate it. As I looked on the board tonight, I was rather shocked!!!

But it was the conversation about the story that made the difference. And that's even better.

I look forward to reading your future contributions. And I wish you good luck.

[edit on 17-3-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
by all accounts from my friends in florida she is not popular at all...wonder why? And while I understand her mourning her father, mine died in Oct. 04, I hope and pray she is not going to be any tackier than she already is by trying to use it to garner smypthy votes.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The distain I have for her is overwhelming. She is my Representative here in Sarasota and I can tell you first hand she is a fraud. She's disgraceful.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
YIAWETA,
The entire vote tampering scandal in your state was one thing that I haven't gotten out of my mind since the 2000 election. Did the authorities down in Florida ever get to the bottom of the entire thing? Despite endorsing the votes, do you think that Ms. Harris was ever involved?

[edit on 18-3-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Of course she was involved...according to Fla. law if the election results were 1% or less, it mandated an automatic statewide hand recount, a law she blithefully ignored and one Gore foolishly did not insist on.

In the height of tackiness for which the Republicans have a copywrite
she was feted at several ingraual balls as the mother thresa, the joan of arc and the gandi of the cause, and was promptly awarded with a seat in congress.

new topics

top topics

join