It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada is poisoning the U.S. with Mercury!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Canadian forest fires are sending plumes of Mercury to Massachusetts.

www.sciencedaily.com...

What gets me is the shear quantity of the mercury, 3.5 tons! Total forest fire mercury emmissions total 22.5 tons per year!

That's a lot of dammed runny metal....

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Yikes!

We're sorry

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I'm not sorry, with the amount of toxins the US supplys Canada each year via pollution it's only a small return for the US. In any case the title of this post is hardly appropriate. Canada is not poisoning the US! The forest fires in Canada this summer have bordered on natural dissaster, show some compassion...thousands of people have lost their homes or worse! Typical selfish American view!

[Edited on 9-10-2003 by Lukefj]

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Luke

I totally agree with you, but I don't want to come across as some US hater.

It's not as if we did it on purpose! But I don't think copcorn was suggesting that anyway, at least I hope not.

I'm still sorry though, not for what happened (as if Canadians should apologize) just that it did happen. The fires on the west coast this year were brutal too.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Sorry lukefj, no insult intended, just a little tounge in cheek. I live in Colorado and we have gone through that too...

Of course I feel for people who lose everything they have in a fire. My father is one of those people...

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'm not an American hater at all, but I do find them to be quite often selfish when it comes to this sort of thing. They very rarely try to see an event from any other perspective other than their own.

Tha said, I am not jumping for joy that a bunch of mercury has been sent off into the air. We all share one planet, what is bad for them is undoubtedly not good for us either. I was simply pointing out that we should not apologize for it, it isn't like we produced it through commercial ventures which is more often the case for US polluters. Unfortunately, Canada is also on the top of the list as a world polluter.

I really did feel that the post was improperly titled.

Thanks for the feedback.

PS. copcorn, I'm sorry for your fathers loss.

Peace,
Luke

[Edited on 9-10-2003 by Lukefj]

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   

This is like straight from Bold and Beautiful when Sheila was poisoning Stephanie with mercury..

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Sheila was burning Canadian forrests????

That Bitch!

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:52 AM
link   
LOL, thanks for the SOAP digest. Very informative post as usual, no wonder you have 48,000 points.

Kepp up the good work (cough, sarcasm, cough).

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lukefj
LOL, thanks for the SOAP digest. Very informative post as usual, no wonder you have 48,000 points.

Kepp up the good work (cough, sarcasm, cough).

Look at the topic:

"Canada is poisoning the U.S. with Mercury!"

This whole thing is quite "out there" so..

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The same thing would happen if American forests were burning too, except worse. The article states that Canada has minimal sources of mercury poisoning compared to the US. The Canadians around the fire will also suffer the effects of the mercury. Leave it to the Americans to complain about the second hand smoke.

top topics

join